Re: Jag with a noise problem.. bad earth?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Firefly
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Firefly » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:44 am

I think later CIJ's just have paint and thats it, atleast thats all that was in mine as I am rebuilding 1 from parts at the mo. I don't think its possible to connect the paint to ground or anything like that. Alltough I have heard of people making there own vintage style sheilding plates, occasionaly they pop up on ebay, or tinfoil might do the job.

Then again it could be something totaly diffrent, too many wires in Jaguars!! I don't know if I am looking forward to wiring mine up yet or not lol.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:25 pm

Yeah, CIJs don't have shielding plates AFAIK, and it sounds like the grounding (or lack of it) is your problem.

I guess you could run a wire from one of the pots to the shielding paint, that might fix the problem since the seems to noise go away when you connect the shielding paint to earth.

Personally I'd replace the paint wih proper shielding. You can buy it readymade through places like GPR, or cut your own from thin brass (I got some from a model making supply store). Sticky-backed foil is another alternative, and quite easy to work with.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

aen
Expat
Expat

Post by aen » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:37 pm

My 69 Jag is VERY sensetive to electric noise, especially old wiring in houses.  As I remember, when i gigged it there was less noise.
I prefer their older stuff.

Pumpkin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pumpkin » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:39 pm

Just buy a sheet of sticky copper stuff (shielding) and cover all routes with it,then connect all routes with tiny bits of wire.

So:shield the upper rout,solder wire to its base and run it threw to the pup route and solder it to that and so on.

Leave a little copper over the top of the rout so all the control plates make contact with it and ground out.

This reduces noise sooooooooo much!  :D