Re: some more high e trouble

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Sauerkraut
Expat
Expat

some more high e trouble

Post by Sauerkraut » Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:03 pm

my high e gets out of tune really easily and breaks after a very short time. I tried to replace it but failed 4 times in a row because the new ones just break at the peghead as I tune it up (I won't even get past B), the ball end however is always fine.

what could be the problem, are the edges of the peghead too sharp for 0.10's?
Last edited by Sauerkraut on Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Puke+Cry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Puke+Cry » Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:23 pm

This happens with me, put the trem lock on and it will be fine.

Sauerkraut
Expat
Expat

Post by Sauerkraut » Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:29 pm

Puke+Cry wrote: This happens with me, put the trem lock on and it will be fine.
that's not where it happens, and besides, my trem lock does not function anymore, it's always 'unlocked'. This is how Vinkie set it up for me to increase tuning stability (and it works great). I don't think the bridge or tremolo have anything to do with it.

edit: however, a few days ago something went wrong when I was using the tremolo quite heavily, the tremolo made a terrible noise, the whole thing went out of tune and the bridge and tremolo had gone down quite a bit. I fixed the bridge but the trem bar is still lower than it used to be. I guess the 'e-problem' started then.

after all the trouble I've been through getting this thing to work properly and staying stable I'm starting to think I'd be better off selling it and saving for an AVRI.
Last edited by Sauerkraut on Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Puke+Cry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Puke+Cry » Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:44 pm

Yes, I think this is a problem which happens with all CIJ's when the trem is used a lot, i think its due to the spring being weak and poorly cut leaveys . I'm getting the USA trem soon

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:17 pm

Sauerkraut wrote: I fixed the bridge but the trem bar is still lower than it used to be. I guess the 'e-problem' started then.
Try tightening the screw in the middle of the trem plate. That should fix that problem.

As for the string breaking, it sounds like the problem may be at the tuner shaft or the nut. Is it breaking right at the tuner? If it is, take a real close look at the edges of the shaft, where the notch is cut. It may have a sharp edge right there.

Justin
Last edited by i love sharin foo on Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A death’s head ring upon his finger

Pumpkin
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pumpkin » Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:04 pm

Sauerkraut wrote: think I'd be better off selling it and saving for an AVRI.
If its breakin near the tuners, having  an AV wont solve anything as they all use the same tuners.

Do what justin said, check the string tree too....use a magnifying glass.

Mad-Mike
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mad-Mike » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:34 am

I do know for a fact that the CIJ trem spring tends to give a little easier over time if you use the trem a lot, I just tighten the spring, it does not use up that much range.  I figure when I replace it I'll just replace the spring.

One thing's for sure, even the CIJ floating trems are tough mofos.  I use this thing for stuff most people need a Floyd Rose and a locking nut to do, and yet I have only that one little spring to worry about, that's pretty good, if it were a floyd I would have had plenty more problems to keep me busy, that's why the Jag always get's played and I only touch the Kramers once in awhile.
It's Me

Sauerkraut
Expat
Expat

Post by Sauerkraut » Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:56 am

i love sharin foo wrote:
Sauerkraut wrote: I fixed the bridge but the trem bar is still lower than it used to be. I guess the 'e-problem' started then.
Try tightening the screw in the middle of the trem plate. That should fix that problem.

As for the string breaking, it sounds like the problem may be at the tuner shaft or the nut. Is it breaking right at the tuner? If it is, take a real close look at the edges of the shaft, where the notch is cut. It may have a sharp edge right there.

Justin
I think it's breaking right were I it there's a bend and it gets out of the tuner, so I think it has to be a sharp edge.

Thanks for your help.

Vinkie figured the spring was a bit weak, but it didn't have to be a problem, I guess I'm such an abusive user I just have to replace it.

:)
Last edited by Sauerkraut on Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sauerkraut
Expat
Expat

Post by Sauerkraut » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:09 pm

thanks to all of you for your help. There wasn't much of a problem in the end; I just didn't take enough string, cut it off too short so it only went around the peghead twice, apparently that's not enough.

I have to buy a new feather for the tremolo, it still works but the trem arm is quite low. What still bothers me is that I don't know what caused the bridge to dig itself in, guess I can only hope it won't happen again.

Vinkie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Vinkie » Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:55 pm

Sauerkraut wrote: thanks to all of you for your help. There wasn't much of a problem in the end; I just didn't take enough string, cut it off too short so it only went around the peghead twice, apparently that's not enough.

I have to buy a new feather for the tremolo, it still works but the trem arm is quite low. What still bothers me is that I don't know what caused the bridge to dig itself in, guess I can only hope it won't happen again.
Just use the spring adjusting screw to tighten the spring some more and I'd expect everything to be ok again, maybe you don't need to replace the spring yet.

i love sharin foo
Mods
Mods

Post by i love sharin foo » Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:58 pm

Vinkie wrote: Just use the spring adjusting screw to tighten the spring some more and I'd expect everything to be ok again, maybe you don't need to replace the spring yet.
Yeah, that is a sound suggestion. In my experience, the stock srings are pretty good. I don't use real heavy strings though (usually .010-.052).

Justin
A death’s head ring upon his finger

Sauerkraut
Expat
Expat

Post by Sauerkraut » Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:10 am

i love sharin foo wrote:
Vinkie wrote: Just use the spring adjusting screw to tighten the spring some more and I'd expect everything to be ok again, maybe you don't need to replace the spring yet.
Yeah, that is a sound suggestion. In my experience, the stock srings are pretty good. I don't use real heavy strings though (usually .010-.052).

Justin
I use 0.10-0.52's aswell, and by 'feather' I ment spring to avoid confusion, it's a little language-mixup. I'll just tighten the spring again. Guess I got all uptight for nothing again.

:)

Vinkie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Vinkie » Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:03 pm

Good Luck Sauerkraut :)
The trem setup I used before on your guitar can be readjusted by turning the tension screw until the trem plate will just about hit the covering plate with the string in tune. Like this you'll get only detuning action but with a firm feeling and a higher trem arm. As the strings will go up in pitch as you add more spring tension you'll have to probably retune and retension a few times before you'll find the right balance.