Strings-are these any good?

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Gooner
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Strings-are these any good?

Post by Gooner » Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:37 am

Generally I'm fairly happy with my strings - Ernie Balls. 11's on my jag, no problemo.
However I've been reading a bit about Snake Oil Brand strings and wondered if any of you guys have actually tried 'em out, and if you have, does the increased nickel content make a difference both in sound and longevity.
Does anyone gig with them? are they reliable?
I would also be interested if anyone has tried out the new Dean Merkley "Hendrix" strings, higher nickel content but are they just a gimmick?

I would be very interested in your opinions and assessment

John
I love the smell of two stroke in the morning

Jay
Admin
Admin

Re: Strings-are these any good?

Post by Jay » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:44 am

All nickel wraps make a pretty big difference in tone and a little bit of difference in longevity.  They won't be as bright and they won't be as loud.  They make up for that with a richness that nickel plated steel lacks.  If you have a guitar center you can get some DR Pure Blues (blue packaging) to try for a bit less then the snake oils.  I personally can't really tell a difference between them but it's really hard to AB strings with guitars that sound different already.

Gooner
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gooner » Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:43 am

Thanks Jay, I'll have a look in my local shop, but I think they're a bit limited. I think I can probably get DR's but it might take some looking.
Do you know if nickel strings affect tension enough to drop a gauge or is that bull?

John
I love the smell of two stroke in the morning

Jay
Admin
Admin

Post by Jay » Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:08 pm

They won't make a difference in tension really.