-= Bridge FAQ =-

For help with setups and other technical issues.
BlueSparkle
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: -= Bridge FAQ =-

Post by BlueSparkle » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:03 pm

SadFuzz wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:54 am
What about Staytrem bridges?
What about them exactly?

When I replaced the mustang bridge on my JM with the Staytrem, ALL the intonation, string spacing and height "issues" simply disappeared. A 5 minute setup change with new strings. Absolutely the best bang for buck I've spent on setup on any guitar I've owned.

My JM had a mustang bridge with 55mm spacing, the staytrem is 52/53mm from memory. the Staytrem intonation is perfect and the bridge's radius is 7.25" which happens to perfectly match the fretboard, and the string heights are spot on, obviously.
:o)
----
'95 JDMJMCS Blue Sparkle w/ McNelly 46/58's.
other non-offsets.

Rasalrew
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Rasalrew » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:09 am

Mastery Bridge Question!

I love it. that said...My high E has a buzzing when the guitar is strummed acoustically, It's not really noticeable when plugged in, But I know its there cause I'm 1 foot earshot from the strings. So it erks me.

The buzzing sounds like there's a resonant frequency coming from the bride area of the string. Or Like a very quiet fretted out 12 string. it kind of goes away if lightly mute the string behind the bridge and before the tailpiece (also a mastery). Its Cleared of all the frets and is making contact with a string tree on the headstock. I did a test without the string tree and same issue. Second thought is a high nut slot, which might be causing it?? Idk, seems unlikely.

Curious if anyone had any similar issues, or maybe there a slight imperfection in the slot of my mastery that I can't see. I was going to email woody about it but figured I'd gather some mastery user information before I pester him with something that might not be his issue.

I'll try and get some sound sample up and photos if that helps.

Thank you
https://foreignspeakers.bandcamp.com/

adamrobertt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by adamrobertt » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:18 am

Rasalrew wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:09 am
Mastery Bridge Question!

I love it. that said...My high E has a buzzing when the guitar is strummed acoustically, It's not really noticeable when plugged in, But I know its there cause I'm 1 foot earshot from the strings. So it erks me.

The buzzing sounds like there's a resonant frequency coming from the bride area of the string. Or Like a very quiet fretted out 12 string. it kind of goes away if lightly mute the string behind the bridge and before the tailpiece (also a mastery). Its Cleared of all the frets and is making contact with a string tree on the headstock. I did a test without the string tree and same issue. Second thought is a high nut slot, which might be causing it?? Idk, seems unlikely.

Curious if anyone had any similar issues, or maybe there a slight imperfection in the slot of my mastery that I can't see. I was going to email woody about it but figured I'd gather some mastery user information before I pester him with something that might not be his issue.

I'll try and get some sound sample up and photos if that helps.

Thank you
I have had issues with Mastery bridges vibrating/resonating audibly. It is caused by the two bridge bars vibrating together. The only real solution is to put something in between the bridge bars, like a piece of felt or foam. I used one of those little round felt pads that come with strap buttons when I had one.

Rasalrew
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Rasalrew » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:55 pm

I have had issues with Mastery bridges vibrating/resonating audibly. It is caused by the two bridge bars vibrating together. The only real solution is to put something in between the bridge bars, like a piece of felt or foam. I used one of those little round felt pads that come with strap buttons when I had one.

I'll have to try that out and report back! cheers.
https://foreignspeakers.bandcamp.com/

chrmarl
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by chrmarl » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:32 am

Does the mustang brigde rock/tilt when using the tremolo? I mean installed in the jazzmaster.
I searched the thread but didn't manage to find this information.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:34 pm

chrmarl wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:32 am
Does the mustang brigde rock/tilt when using the tremolo? I mean installed in the jazzmaster.
I searched the thread but didn't manage to find this information.
Yes it does. The Mustang bridges posts are a smaller diameter than the internal diameter of the thimbles, just like on the stock JM bridge. So there is room to move. The amount of actual movement will depend on things like the string angle / downforce. I have also found that slight variation in the exact location of the thimbles makes a difference. If the thimbles are a fraction wider or narrower apart, or the post positions on the bridge vary similarly, then the posts will not be moving back and forth in the middle of the thimble, at the greatest fore-aft internal diameter of the thimbles; instead the posts are closer to the thimble walls and thus somewhat restricted to 'rolling' back and forth on the internal or external wall of the thimbles. The height of the bridge will also affect the extent of its movement - higher means more.

chrmarl
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by chrmarl » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:33 pm

Thx for replying timtam!

One more thing.. Should I use the saddles of the mustang brigde on the stock jazzmaster bridge or should I replace the hole thing?
What would you recommend? ...you or someone else..

strks
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by strks » Mon May 20, 2019 8:20 am

Hey !
I’d like to change my JMJM bridge for a mastery one.
From what I’ve read here, I’d fill the existing holes, then redrill it and install thimbles.
I can have a press drill for this operation. I’m just a bit scared of the “tolerance” needed for this. Is there a bit of “play” (a small error margin that could be corrected when installing the bridge ?)
Maybe it’s a better idea to use fender thimbles as they have more tolerance than the mastery thimbles ?
Should I be scared about it or there’s no big risk if I’m careful and using a press drill?

chrmarl
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by chrmarl » Fri May 24, 2019 1:36 am

Finally replaced the original JM bridge with a STAYTREM brigde. Mine is a MIJ JM with 7,25 radius.
It feels like I bought a new guitar. I never had realized that the original bridge was the cause of all these problems (buzzing, lack of sustain, bad playing in general). It is the most significant upgrade someone should do to a JM. Also the 52 mm spacing is better for me, the upper and lower strings never fall of the fretboard any more and of course.. I finally have no worries when I play a little harder cause everything stays on place.
Go for it! Change that bridge!

strks
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by strks » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:01 pm

I'm also thinking about drilling the inner part of a 12mm wood plug before putting it in my JMJM. This way it would not be "dangerous" for the body. and I could use a mastery bridge!
What do you think?

MyJMisdrivingmenuts
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by MyJMisdrivingmenuts » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:00 am

Great info.
Maybe I missed something (if so apologies), but shouldn't you also mention the staytrem bridge? I have a mastery and have never tried a staytrem, but it's always good to know the pros and cons of everything.

strks
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by strks » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:12 am

Hey Guys !

Finally did it on my JMJM ! I now have a mastery bridge :)

I bought 12mm wood plug (1meter long), cut it and drilled it (8mm), then sanded the inside part to fit the thimble . I did a few test before having 2 goods "wood converters". If I had a drill press it would have been super easy and quick!

It's really easy, and the most stressful / difficult thing was to remove the TOM inserts

It now works like a charm !