-=Jazzmaster and Jaguar Pickups and Electronics FAQ=-

For help with setups and other technical issues.
JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: -=Jazzmaster and Jaguar Pickups and Electronics FAQ=-

Post by JazzBlaster » Mon May 21, 2007 12:51 pm

I have kind of a dumb question are vintage Jag pups RWRP? I ask cause I have only owned a Japanese Jag and it's stock pups weren't.

David
It's not about the gear! It's about you, your hands, your imagination, your feelings.

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Mon May 21, 2007 12:58 pm

JazzBlaster wrote: I have kind of a dumb question are vintage Jag pups RWRP? I ask cause I have only owned a Japanese Jag and it's stock pups weren't.

David
yes they are. although i have heard of guitars that left the factory with two bridge pups or two neck pups. the durrent CIJs are RWRP too.

JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JazzBlaster » Mon May 21, 2007 1:00 pm

Thanks!  :D I had thought so but it has been so long since I have seen a vintage Jag I couldn't remember.

David
It's not about the gear! It's about you, your hands, your imagination, your feelings.

Jarvis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jarvis » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:04 pm

How high approximately should the bridge pickup on a Jazzmaster be? I know they're supposed to be bright and thin, but this is almost overbearingly bright! They're pretty close to the strings, not to the point where I can hit it with my pick accidentally or anything.

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:03 am

i think that's a matter of taste really. i used to have mine as high as i could without having the strings touch the pole pieces when strumming hard, or getting magnetic pull on the strings (making the guitar sound out of tune even though it isn't), but lately i've found that having them fairly low gives a more balanced and mellower sound.

i think the best way to find the right height for your specific needs is to experiment. it's not like you're risking ruining anything, all you have to do is turn four screws...

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:45 am

Curtis Novak's suggestion on setting pickup height, from his website:
www.curtisnovak.com wrote:How to determine optimum pickup height
Each pickup and each guitar is unique and I do not feel there is a one- size-fits-all for determining pickup height. The best method I have found is to get yourself a small cheap amp that overdrives easy—the Smokey Amps are best.

Lay your guitar down on a flat surface, Plug in your guitar, select a single pickup, and fret your low E at the 12th fret and play the note. Just like with an out of tune string, you will hear an oscillation/wave rather than a clear solid note note. Now adjust the Low E side of the pickup up or down until that oscillation stops. At that point adjust the high E side of the pickup to match.

This will give you a clearer note without the oscillation so your notes and especially chords will ring clear.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

Superfuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Superfuzz » Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:51 am

Jarvis wrote: How high approximately should the bridge pickup on a Jazzmaster be? I know they're supposed to be bright and thin, but this is almost overbearingly bright! They're pretty close to the strings, not to the point where I can hit it with my pick accidentally or anything.
That's a question that always jump in my head..I've always seen each JM with PUs setted in different ways..
mynameisjonas wrote: i think that's a matter of taste really. i used to have mine as high as i could without having the strings touch the pole pieces when strumming hard, or getting magnetic pull on the strings (making the guitar sound out of tune even though it isn't), but lately i've found that having them fairly low gives a more balanced and mellower sound.

i think the best way to find the right height for your specific needs is to experiment. it's not like you're risking ruining anything, all you have to do is turn four screws...
Yeah, but does changing the height increase or decrease the output volume  of the pickup itself?
Architecture students are like virgins with an itch they cannot scratch,  never build a building 'till are fifty, what kind of life is that?

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:29 am

Superfuzz wrote: Yeah, but does changing the height increase or decrease the output volume  of the pickup itself?
well, to be nitpicky... it doesn't change the output of the pickup, but since the strings vibrate further away from the magnets, the magnetic field isn't 'disturbed' as much, resulting in a lower current (long way of saying YES ::))

but the difference between the highest and the lowest point isn't huge, it's maybe like 1-2 notches on the volume control ...

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:43 pm

Maybe you could give some sources for shielding tubs, and materials...I don't want to patronize Guitar Parts Resource, but they are the only source I know of!!
Damn kids, get off my lawn!

JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JazzBlaster » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:46 pm

RumorsOFsurF wrote: Maybe you could give some sources for shielding tubs, and materials...I don't want to patronize Guitar Parts Resource, but they are the only source I know of!!
I don't think there is anywhere else...

David

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:49 pm

JazzBlaster wrote:
RumorsOFsurF wrote: Maybe you could give some sources for shielding tubs, and materials...I don't want to patronize Guitar Parts Resource, but they are the only source I know of!!
I don't think there is anywhere else...

David
:'(

JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JazzBlaster » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:58 pm

I personaly have had good experiences with them. *knocks on wooden head*

David

tone_deaf
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by tone_deaf » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:01 pm

Which jag pickups have the brightest and trebly sound?

Jarvis
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jarvis » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:33 am

Quick question, are there any tonal differences between '62 reissue Jazzmaster pickups and Curtis Novak vintage Jazzmaster pickups?
Last edited by Jarvis on Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RumorsOFsurF
Mods
Mods

Post by RumorsOFsurF » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:01 pm

Jarvis wrote: Quick question, are there any tonal differences between '63 reissue Jazzmaster pickups and Curtis Novak vintage Jazzmaster pickups?
The Novak's are hand wound the 62 RI's are not.  That means Curtis can wind them hotter if you like and offer you some other options.  Email him, he'd be glad to fill you in!