-=Jazzmaster and Jaguar Pickups and Electronics FAQ=-

For help with setups and other technical issues.
Haddock
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: -=Jazzmaster and Jaguar Pickups and Electronics FAQ=-

Post by Haddock » Mon May 12, 2008 3:31 pm

I posted these sound clips in another thread, but I guess they belong better here.

This is my ~2003 CIJ Jazzmaster before and after installing Jason Lollar pickups.
CIJ bridge
Lollar bridge

CIJ neck
Lollar neck

CIJ bridge // neck
Lollar bridge // neck
“Man does not cease to play because he grows old; man grows old because he ceases to play.” -- George Bernard Shaw

JMDen
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JMDen » Wed May 21, 2008 7:02 am

Haddock wrote: I posted these sound clips in another thread, but I guess they belong better here.

This is my ~2003 CIJ Jazzmaster before and after installing Jason Lollar pickups.
CIJ bridge
Lollar bridge

CIJ neck
Lollar neck

CIJ bridge // neck
Lollar bridge // neck
I listened to each clip several times with headphones on and these are my impressions based on what I heard once the recordings reached my ears..:

Bridge: Lollar has much more clarity and tonal brightness.

Neck: Original sounded Ok, Lollar sound not as warm and had a hint of overdrive in it.

Both together: Lollar combo sounded nicer to my ears with the bridge delivering the differentiation of the tone - being clearer.

Sounds like a successful upgrade to my ears... Congrats! :)
-Dennis

AurelHood
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AurelHood » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:04 am

I may be wrong, but are not aftermarket AVRI Jag pups harder to find than the JM One ?  ???

kimjongsick
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kimjongsick » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:13 am

This is something I've been bothered about, not on my Jag, but on another project. When pool-soldering wires to the casings of your pots, do you solder the wires together on the same point on the casing, or do you just solder them wherever the hell you feel like on the casing?

I am too lazy to consult Google so I will ask people who actually know from experience, heh.

EDIT: I only ask because I have recently tested a wiring job that I did, and my neck pickup works fine, but the bridge doesn't. And I've made sure the solder isn't cold on the switch, so it's something else... I basically turned a Strat into a Tele using Fender's standard wiring diagram (with the exception of the fact that I used a Gibson-style 3-way switch instead of a Tele-style, and I followed Seymour Duncan's instructions from there).
Last edited by kimjongsick on Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
#1918. V161382.
"That the universe should misspend one mote of its grace and bounty on a fool like that is all the proof I need that the throne of the Lord sits empty."

Pacafeliz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Pacafeliz » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:44 pm

this is a good thread, worth diggin' up again!

Pat.  :D
i love delay SO much ...that i procrastinate all the time.

gogothegogo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gogothegogo » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:05 am

I can't believe I cannot find any info on upgrading CIJ jag with CTS pots'n'stuff

I think I read somewhere about it.  ???

anyway, I want to upgrade whole electronics of my CIJ Jaguar special with CTS pots, switchcraft jack and switchs (i already have custom Kurt style switch plate for jazzmaster switch).

is the jazzmaster kit from acme guitars in right dimensions ?
http://www.acmeguitarworks.com/Jazzmast ... 49C155.cfm

I already have CTS and Alfa 500k pots on main switching plate, but I don't know if those are metric or american dimensions.

so will CTS pots fit in main switcihng plate and rithm circuit
will switchcraft toggle switches fit CIJ plates
will switchcraft jazzmaster switch fit switching plate (i got it from that french luthier, i cannot remember his name)

thanks for any help

fakeplasticdreams
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fakeplasticdreams » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:21 am

wow...reading through the 7 pages was certainly dizzying for a non electronics techie like me!  :'(

anyway, i see some sound clips of JM stock vs AVRI/Lollar/Novak pups, but does anyone have soundclips comparison between stock CIJ Jags vs aftermarket / AVRI pups?

would much appreciate the links.

Thanks!
HÅLL DITT JÄVLA AVSTÅND

Sloefman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Sloefman » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:37 am

Has anyone made an 'in-depth' review of the CP JM pups yet? I don't really like mine compared to my AVRI, but I'm not that good at describing why...
We might die from medication but we sure killed all the pain...
but what was normal in the evening, by the morning seems insane.

igloo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by igloo » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:56 am

I've googled with no success, so here goes;

Will Lace-sensors  :-[ singles fit in a Jag? Clawless of course..

PLUS where do we source multiple colored clothe wires other than angela?
;D

klastos
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by klastos » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:24 am

I'm starting to build a jazzmaster and my question is exactly how the pickups mount, are they straight to the body or is there a trick I need to know?
I've tried to find a setup tutorial on google with no luck, thanks in advance.

theworkoffire
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by theworkoffire » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:34 am

klastos wrote: I'm starting to build a jazzmaster and my question is exactly how the pickups mount, are they straight to the body or is there a trick I need to know?
I've tried to find a setup tutorial on google with no luck, thanks in advance.
They screw down into the body with foam underneath to allow their height to be adjusted. Have a look through some of the restorations in the library and you should find pictures.

Igloo - if yr still looking for answers 4 months on ( ???) yes they will, though they will have to be screwed down like jag pickups, and there will be a slight gap around them. Cloth wire can be had from http://www.radiodaze.com/ - 20 Gauge Stranded Non-Rated Volt Cloth Covered Wire is the vintage-correct stuff I think. In Europe - http://www.banzaieffects.com/Vintage-Cl ... c-512.html. That's who I use, generally.

Glider
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Glider » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:01 pm

I now have a SD vintage neck and a CIJ bridge pup in my JM. Boy this is a weird combination :wtf: the jvm has almost twice as more output as the cij has, in case anyone is wondering...

secndshft

Post by secndshft » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:28 pm

I am curious to know if anyone has tried these out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 2761.l1259" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He's got a few different era types.

JGZinv
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JGZinv » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:51 pm

We've had a few people buy from him, but no audio samples so far.

I've got a set from him in my JM, got both pickups, 2 sets of foam, and it shipped to the US for $80 and some change.
Very pleasant to work with by e-mail, he'll custom make them to your specs if you contact him. He's out of Canada.

Can't vouch for the sound since I've not heard mine yet (at the shop for neck issues/setup) but otherwise a good transaction.
Really should have him in the first post list for pickup suppliers.

secndshft

Post by secndshft » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:17 am

JGZinv wrote:We've had a few people buy from him, but no audio samples so far.

I've got a set from him in my JM, got both pickups, 2 sets of foam, and it shipped to the US for $80 and some change.
Very pleasant to work with by e-mail, he'll custom make them to your specs if you contact him. He's out of Canada.

Can't vouch for the sound since I've not heard mine yet (at the shop for neck issues/setup) but otherwise a good transaction.
Really should have him in the first post list for pickup suppliers.
Well, I ended up buying a set too. They are amazing. To me, spot on repros. I bought the grey, 60s spec pickups. I installed them this weekend as part of my refurb of my parts Jazzmaster. I will do my best to record a sample or two in the coming weeks. I think you will love them once you get it set up. I agree, he needs to be added to the first listing. Great price, very professional, quick transaction and willing to answer any question I had.