Thomastik-Infeld Strings

For help with setups and other technical issues.
JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Thomastik-Infeld Strings

Post by JVG » Mon May 06, 2024 4:30 pm

DrippyReverbTremolo wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 10:58 am
Which type of TI strings are best for classic surf tones?
I’m reluctant to recommend any particular set, as it depends so much on the guitar/pickups, and your playing style.

You know what the TI flats sound like - obviously fairly low-end focussed, but still rich and balanced.

The BeBop have a peak in the lower mid-range (after the initial zing wears off), while the Sliders have more of an upper mid-range character and a bit more twang. The PowerBrights have a fairly ‘standard’ modern sound, but are actually not overly bright (despite the name).

If I wad going for classic surf sounds, I’d probably choose either BeBop (if the guitar is bright sounding) or Sliders (if the guitar is a bit darker).

Hopefully that description is not too wanky!

DrippyReverbTremolo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Thomastik-Infeld Strings

Post by DrippyReverbTremolo » Tue May 07, 2024 12:30 am

JVG wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 4:30 pm
DrippyReverbTremolo wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 10:58 am
Which type of TI strings are best for classic surf tones?
I’m reluctant to recommend any particular set, as it depends so much on the guitar/pickups, and your playing style.

You know what the TI flats sound like - obviously fairly low-end focussed, but still rich and balanced.

The BeBop have a peak in the lower mid-range (after the initial zing wears off), while the Sliders have more of an upper mid-range character and a bit more twang. The PowerBrights have a fairly ‘standard’ modern sound, but are actually not overly bright (despite the name).

If I wad going for classic surf sounds, I’d probably choose either BeBop (if the guitar is bright sounding) or Sliders (if the guitar is a bit darker).

Hopefully that description is not too wanky!
Thank you, that is really helpful!