The Mustang - Jaguar - Mosrite hybrid setup challenge !!

For help with setups and other technical issues.
soulgolem
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

The Mustang - Jaguar - Mosrite hybrid setup challenge !!

Post by soulgolem » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:00 pm

Hello you all, I've just recently become an offset guitar lover, I used to be all strat and teles but that's in the past now, no more of that for me, not enough funky looking.

I got myself this guitar :

It's a japanese knock off, made in china i must guess, I got it for 150. As you can tell from the pictures, it's has the body shape of a mustang, short scale and all that, but i also has a jaguar type tremolo system, which I love the look of :D but also what seems to be a mosrite guitar type bridge, or at least close to one. The guitar has a great tone, the intonation is far off though, but I'll get me a good tuner and do my best with fixing that myself.

What would you say could be done or improved in this hybrid type guitar to have the best tuning stability when using the tremolo system ?? I'm thinking a nut change would be a good idea, something lubricated, the one in there now is most probably plastic, what would you suggest ?

How are mosrite bridges as far as tuning stability goes ? Even best if someone has experience with a jaguar trem/mosrite bridge combo ??

Thanks !!

b70valkyrie
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: The Mustang - Jaguar - Mosrite hybrid setup challenge !!

Post by b70valkyrie » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:52 am

Dude where did you get that thing! And could I sell you a kidney for it??? Damn thats cool, chinese knock-off or not... And for $150... As far as improving tuning stability, is it actually catching in the nut? If so, perhaps something as simple as rubbing some graphite into it would help.

empyrean
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by empyrean » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:30 am

I love me some mustangs with jag trems!

As for the nut, you can just use a mixture of pencil lead with a little bit of vaseline and rub in in the slots. Works great.
I've also heard that you can do away with the vaseline and just sand off the graphite very carefully and just dump that in the slots. Haven't tried that one yet, but probably will on my next setup.

soulgolem
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by soulgolem » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:46 am

Thanks for the answers ! Thanks for the tips, sounds like a great idea to lube the nut, but I'm thinking of changing it completely as I don't like the nut's tone, it's very cheap, what nuts out there have proven to help with tuning stability ? Ideally, it'd be just a drop-in replacement !

What else do you guys do to improve upon this ? I want to make this axe my main axe because I really like its look and the feel of the trem.

Can anyone share experience with the mosrite bridge ? I just realized yesterday that the bridge has rollers in it, should they be lubed ?

As for finding this guitar somewhere, here is some links :D

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/otak ... wsehist_en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/chuy ... tem/50422/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've also seen it on some japanese amazon website.

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:39 pm

Thx for the link. I think I will be ordering one soon. ;D

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:30 pm

I know it is not a hybrid but this one looks good too. I want one. I bet they sound and feel nice.

http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/chuy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... tem/60253/

loveinathens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by loveinathens » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:42 pm

Really interested in those Photogenics. There's a similar guitar sold by local stores here but they have the cheesiest aesthetics and a stupid looking logo.

Neck feels nice, but the pickups sound terrible.

They also have a Jet King copy with JM trem.

RJ guitars should totally hire a graphic artist.

DrOctagon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DrOctagon » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:06 am

:w00t: Wow. Sick color, the JM trem is awesome and the roller bridge is a great touch. For $150 I might have to pick one of these up. Half the price of the new Squiers and they are probably comparable.

If you want tuning stability I'd replace the tuners and lube the nut. Also make sure the trem is set up correctly. The nut is probably fine stock, though you might want to file it a bit. The tonal difference will be negligible on an electric.

DrOctagon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DrOctagon » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:09 am

...wait this probably doesn't fit any Fender or aftermarket parts, does it? Also, no contours either?

Orang Goreng
Mods
Mods

Post by Orang Goreng » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:44 am

Empyrean, is there a thread about that mustangish guitar of yours anywhere on the forum? The offset ass makes it look a lot better than any other mustang ever... in fact, lack of an offset ass is why I still have trouble accepting the mustang as an offset model (yeah, I know it's the waist that counts).
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man's a freak.

empyrean
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by empyrean » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:20 pm

Orang Goreng wrote:Empyrean, is there a thread about that mustangish guitar of yours anywhere on the forum? The offset ass makes it look a lot better than any other mustang ever... in fact, lack of an offset ass is why I still have trouble accepting the mustang as an offset model (yeah, I know it's the waist that counts).
There sure is: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=58369" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sorry for the hi-jack.

On the topic of the bridge/trem combo, I found this discussion: http://www.mosriteforum.com/forum/viewt ... view=print" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It seems like this kind of bridge suffers from the rocking problem that the stock fender bridges have. The one in the example was also 12", which didn't match the 7.25" neck. It'd be interesting to see what your neck/bridge radius combo is.

soulgolem
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by soulgolem » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:25 pm

i still own this guitar after all these years 8)

but i also still wonder why it's so hard to play, i've adjusted all i could do myself, it sounds alright still but although the action is low enough, it requires more strength to play than my other guitars, at this point i'm thinking about getting a new neck, maybe the cheap frets get in the way, my friend's original mustang plays like butter, not that i'm trying to make this guitar on par with it, i'm just curious as to what are the physics involved that make a guitar so effortless to play while another with an apparent similar setup will require god strength to hold the strings down.

soulgolem
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by soulgolem » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:55 am

so i shimmed the neck recently and it made the guitar much easier to play, i guess i just needed to get the angles right, what i don’t like about it though is the neck radius, it’s very flat, i like 9.5 inch radius or lower, fav would be 7,25. i might just order a new mustang neck off ebay, surprised the body is alder, i always thought it was basswood for some reason, considering the price, the mosrite bridge is pretty flat so maybe that would need changing too.

after all these years i keep coming back to this guitar, so many guitars came and went, this one stays with me.
wish i could tame the gloss finish though, i prefer a matte non glossy look, my road worn strat is nitro and i like how it makes it look like raw wood, perhaps dulling the finish off the mustang would be a step in that direction.

hexes
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hexes » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:46 pm

soulgolem wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:55 am
so i shimmed the neck recently and it made the guitar much easier to play, i guess i just needed to get the angles right, what i don’t like about it though is the neck radius, it’s very flat, i like 9.5 inch radius or lower, fav would be 7,25. i might just order a new mustang neck off ebay, surprised the body is alder, i always thought it was basswood for some reason, considering the price, the mosrite bridge is pretty flat so maybe that would need changing too.

after all these years i keep coming back to this guitar, so many guitars came and went, this one stays with me.
wish i could tame the gloss finish though, i prefer a matte non glossy look, my road worn strat is nitro and i like how it makes it look like raw wood, perhaps dulling the finish off the mustang would be a step in that direction.
i saw this thread and was about to buy two of those! then i saw the date.

so the thing with mosrites is they're 12" radius. your neck is likely 12 and that mosrite copy bridge is likely 12". Personally I LOVE the flat radius.

so yes; if a radius mismatch bothers you, then you'll need a bridge swap if you change the neck. you may have luck finding something that fits the posts, you may not. worst case you'll have to fill the holes and re drill for something else. just grab a ruler and make sure your existing neck heel is fender spec if you do get a new neck.

i never had tuning stability issues with my japanese or 60s american mosrites. a little tri-flow lube or PTFE lube can help in those rollers. i imagine the knock off bridge doesn't roll too well. even IF the rollers don't roll much, the bearing edge on those saddles should be low friction enough. (the non roller mosrite bridges are VERY nice)

cool you still have this thing!