Mastery Issues

For help with setups and other technical issues.
northernlights
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Mastery Issues

Post by northernlights » Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:51 am

hey guys. i've got both mastery and staytrem. i like mastery better than staytrem, it sounds right to me. i have two mastery bridge and both have same issue that disturbs me. the problem is when i bend one of the high strings especially G , the fixed saddle which carries high strings moves left on the baseplate, so it goes UP, next to the low string's saddle. Then, it kinda lockes itself there but when i do vibrato on G or B whatever, it goes down again, changing its position and whenever that happens it makes a noise like a CLICK. so, what's that thing, a problem or it happens to you all the time?

Trout
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Trout » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:06 am

northernlights wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:51 am
hey guys. i've got both mastery and staytrem. i like mastery better than staytrem, it sounds right to me. i have two mastery bridge and both have same issue that disturbs me. the problem is when i bend one of the high strings especially G , the fixed saddle which carries high strings moves left on the baseplate, so it goes UP, next to the low string's saddle. Then, it kinda lockes itself there but when i do vibrato on G or B whatever, it goes down again, changing its position and whenever that happens it makes a noise like a CLICK. so, what's that thing, a problem or it happens to you all the time?
Do you have any issues with your Staytrem?
#sitdownrock at https://staffanandersson.bandcamp.com/album/det-hemliga-namnet

northernlights
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by northernlights » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:55 am

Trout wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:06 am
northernlights wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 2:51 am
Do you have any issues with your Staytrem?
dull sound. i havent noticed any issue on staytrem but on my guitar mastery works better than staytrem. tuning is more stable on mastery. as i said at the begining, mastery's sound and feeling is really good. and my strings are intonated very well, no problem. i've just sent an email to woody, mastery. i'm waiting for his answer and possible solution. maybe they intend to do it but it annoys me. my logics says that saddle should not move when strings are bended.

oid
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by oid » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:10 am

Screws on a guitar bridge should not need to be adjusted to often, perhaps a tweak or two a year, most should be even less. The cause of this is to much backlash in the threads so the vibrations can cause the screws to bounce back and fourth and not maintain enough friction to stay put.

This is either sloppy tapping or cutting corners on cheap screws, I find it hard for either to be justifiable on a bridge of this price.

Even screws with a decent tolerance on backlash are not all that expensive in these sizes, maybe $5 to replace all the screws on it with decent quality stainless, that is without the quantity discount Mastery would be getting, since Mastery does not just send out a new set to those who have issues I suspect it is a less than optimal tapping setup/technique. If it is an outsourcing problem, they should send the screws back and not pass them on to their customers.

If you have this problem you can try some new screws, hardware store stainless threaded products are generally good in the backlash department. Any halfway decent machinist will be able to tell you where the excessive backlash is if one cares to find out.
Logic gates based on billiard-ball computer designs have also been made to operate using live soldier crabs of the species Mictyris guinotae in place of the billiard balls.

doctorock78
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by doctorock78 » Wed May 16, 2018 12:50 pm

andy_tchp wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:34 pm
??? The saddle pieces have a subtle curve to them so are not symmetrical in that sense, and aren't designed to be flipped over and used upside down.
Oh No !! You are correct, finally got around to checking the saddles I had flipped over to get fresh chrome... Radiused!! I guess I didn't notice when playing so far. Damn, I know the fella at Mastery said to NEVER use abrasives or try to file the saddles. But is there any other option where brass is exposed and burred? It causes the string to catch and "clink" with trem use and eventually cuts through the string, causing breakage right at the saddle contact point. I wish they sold saddles separately so I could just replace every few years...