CIJ Jaguar bridge options

For help with setups and other technical issues.
tremolite
Expat
Expat

CIJ Jaguar bridge options

Post by tremolite » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:19 pm

So I'm doing some work on a friends CIJ Jaguar. As is the case with most of the reissues the low E string pops out of position pretty easily which really annoys my buddy (and me too). I'm thinking about installing a set of Mustang saddles to remedy this. I'm wondering if the lack of saddle height screws on Mustang saddles is much of an issue. I figure they are designed to have the proper radius (7.25") and if the neck is in the proper position and the overall bridge height is satisfactory, in regards to the action, then things should be ok. Or should I look into Tusq saddles or the Warmoth modified Mustang bridge? Man I wish they made the reissue JM/Jag saddles with proportionate grooves for each string like they used to. Please share your insights...
Pedal Pusher

Aug
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: CIJ Jaguar bridge options

Post by Aug » Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:46 am

I vote for the modified mustang bridge.

But, you could also use a needle file to make the groove deeper.

tremolite
Expat
Expat

Post by tremolite » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:15 am

I thought about deepening the grooves but particularly on the low E and A strings, the grooves aren't wide enough. Argh! It seems like the reissue bridges where intentionally designed to fail.
Pedal Pusher

Ludger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ludger » Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:36 pm

tremolite wrote: I'm thinking about installing a set of Mustang saddles to remedy this. 
I did this with mine and it stopped the string jumping for me.  When a buddy of mine plays my jag they still jump occassionally  but not as much as they did with the stock saddles.  He's pretty heavy handed though. 

aen
Expat
Expat

Post by aen » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:40 pm

I also give mustang saddles the thumbs up.  I've only used the standard ones, not even the adjustable ones.  They grip the string far better than a jag/jazz saddle.
I prefer their older stuff.

donnyII
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by donnyII » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:07 am

if you play rock and roll, IMO, jag saddles are useless.. I did the modified mustang saddles on my cij jag, theyve held up great over the last 2 years.
Behold, THE WIZARD

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:23 am

I think part of the problem might be that you guys are starting with CIJ bridges. I've heard lots of complaints about those and not so many about AVRI or vintage bridges, especially with a good setup and a reasonably heavy string gauge.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

chrisjedijane
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by chrisjedijane » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:07 am

I've had much less trouble with my AVRI bridge than the other guitarist in my band, who has a MIJ. He's got a buzz-stop on now, and before that he filed a huge groove in his low E saddle just to remedy it.

I find that my AVRI bridge gets more stable with every gig. Maybe I'm just getting used to it though.

I set up a friend's MIJ jazz yesterday - it had mustang saddles on it, but he still wasn't happy. I put a neck shim in, and set it up, and the improvement was huge.
"we lack the motion to move to the new beat"