Warmoth neck + allparts body

For help with setups and other technical issues.
donnyII
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Warmoth neck + allparts body

Post by donnyII » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:23 pm

Hey, i would like to put a warmoth neck on an allparts jazzmaster body,because i want to go with a maple neck with black blocks and as far as i know, allparts doesnt offer one. Am i better off with an allparts neck though? i hear they are made better?

thanks!
Behold, THE WIZARD

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Re: Warmoth neck + allparts body

Post by mynameisjonas » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:33 am

i don´t think there´s such a big difference in quality between warmoth and allparts. it seems to me that warmoth have always been considered (generally) to be better, although i have nothing but good experiences with allparts. i can´t really say, it´s been a while since i´ve played a warmoth neck, but IIRC it was very nice.

donnyII
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by donnyII » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:44 am

would a warmoth neck fit on an allparts body?
Behold, THE WIZARD

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:56 am

it should. both allparts and warmoth use fender standards when it comes to neck heels and pockets.

burker
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burker » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:59 am

Yeah it should fit, my jazzblaster has a warmoth neck and an allparts body, the neck pocket had a nice tight fit.

I didnt know that warmoth did black block inlays?

CurtisNovak
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CurtisNovak » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:07 pm

The quality on both are fine.  I would however  suggest NOT using Warmoth for the neck.
The reason is Warmoth has a ridiculous warranty/return policy on necks.
1) they do not warranty any neck that is not finished or just oiled. 
It has to be properly finished which I have no problem w/ the gotcha is
2) they do NOT take any neck back that has been finished!!!

As for Allparts I had a neck that twisted after 9 months of use and was finished and they sent me out a new neck No Questions.
They have your neck go here
http://www.allparts.com/search.php
and enter SMO into the search box.
Gonads are useful for their purpose, but are NO substitute for brains.

---

[url=http://www.myspace.com/curtisnovak]www.myspace.com/curtisnovak

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:28 pm

I also highly recommend the Allparts necks...  if you can live without the blocks.

They now have a line of necks finished in nitro, they're MIJ and very nice, and a great price. I think they're hard to beat.
Q. Are we not men?

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:41 pm

Warmoth will do the black blocks I believe but it's going to cost some serious scratch - their upcharge fees are pretty steep. AllParts are very good quality necks for a great price.
"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."

donnyII
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by donnyII » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:59 pm

I can totally live without the blocks. What allparts neck would you guys say is the most suited for a jazzmaster? im not gonna do anything weird on this project. Its going to be as close to a stock jazzmaster as possible. thanks for the info guys!
Behold, THE WIZARD

daydreamdelay
Mods
Mods

Post by daydreamdelay » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:15 pm

their blocks don't look right anyway.. they're more like the blocks on Gibson customs, square rather than rectangular

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:53 am

donnyII wrote: What allparts neck would you guys say is the most suited for a jazzmaster?
i´d recommend getting an LMO (maple board, 21 frets, vintage radius, CBS headstock), and reshaping the headstock to jazzmaster shape. small strat shape looks wrong on a jazzmaster IMO.

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:56 am

donnyII wrote: I can totally live without the blocks. What allparts neck would you guys say is the most suited for a jazzmaster? im not gonna do anything weird on this project. Its going to be as close to a stock jazzmaster as possible. thanks for the info guys!
Actually if you can live with the smaller headstock they do a nice bound neck for a great price (SRO-21B):

"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."

Guitarded
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Guitarded » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:14 pm

I've never dealt with Allparts but I would definitely steer clear of Warmoth for necks, for the same reasons Mr Novak mentioned above.  I had them custom make a Strat neck for me. I ordered it from them over the phone so they got the specifics right, when it arrived almost 2 months later it wasn't the right finish, the inlay work was completely sloppy, and it had truss rod problems...wouldn't adjust. At that time they had some really stupid design where you adjusted it from the side of the heel ???? it didn't work.  I went back and forth with them and they were pretty much jerks once they had my money.  I eventually got my money back, but not after going through a lot of crap and waiting way too long.  Since then I've noticed ads for them where they boast that they now have the truss rod adjustable from the top of the neck...like most "normal" modern guitars. 

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:18 pm

Guitarded wrote: I've never dealt with Allparts but I would definitely steer clear of Warmoth for necks, for the same reasons Mr Novak mentioned above.  I had them custom make a Strat neck for me. I ordered it from them over the phone so they got the specifics right, when it arrived almost 2 months later it wasn't the right finish, the inlay work was completely sloppy, and it had truss rod problems...wouldn't adjust. At that time they had some really stupid design where you adjusted it from the side of the heel ???? it didn't work.  I went back and forth with them and they were pretty much jerks once they had my money.  I eventually got my money back, but not after going through a lot of crap and waiting way too long.  Since then I've noticed ads for them where they boast that they now have the truss rod adjustable from the top of the neck...like most "normal" modern guitars. 
I've never had a Warmoth neck but I have used their bodies before and I was very impressed.

It's worth mentioning, however, that the side-adjusting bit is only used on Warmoth's "Pro" Construction necks. I'm not so sure that's a "stupid" design as much as just different than the more standard options. I'd be hesitant to order something as specific as a neck over the phone - they have a series of forms that they recommend each buyer fill out with all of the details specified.

Here's the skinny on the side adjuster:

http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/necks/nec ... sideadjust

Guitarded
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Guitarded » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:56 pm

So you don't think actually talking to a live person from the company your about to spend several hundred dollars with on a very specific item  is a good idea?  If that's "pro" construction, on the one I got, I'd hate to see what their regular necks are like.