flatwound with round G

For help with setups and other technical issues.
ukuser
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

flatwound with round G

Post by ukuser » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:42 pm

Hi All,

I know this has been asked before but not sure about latest available strings via the web and definitive answer. What are people using for the g string if you don't want a wound G but want flatwound strings? I just had a setup done on a Marr Jag with 11s and wanted flatwound strings but they could only get a wound G unless I waited a week or 2 so I decided to give them a try. I'm not weak but so I guessed that I could get a whole tone bend out of the G - LOL [I've never used them before]

Some people on OSG reference buying direct from manufacture and some say buy a separate G. If the latter then which brands do you match? I lasted 1 evening and I had to switch out the strings to some 10s.

I bought the Marr Jag second hand and it had coated strings (10s), felt like varnish - super smooth but was told that they have a tendency to crack and then they will file the frets down fast. Anybody any experience with those strings? Felt very nice to play, would go with those again if it wasn't for the advice that they will file the frets.

Thanks folks!

Verbian
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: flatwound with round G

Post by Verbian » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:34 pm

Did you put a nickel set of flatwounds or a stainless set? You'll want something to match.

I'd buy separate strings, instead of going through the manufacturer. I'd also attempt to buy in bulk, just to keep costs and shipping down. This also presumes a commitment to using the string for years to come. I remember local music stores selling single strings, so you might want to hit up your local music store and get an assortment to try out.

ukuser
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by ukuser » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:15 pm

Verbian wrote:Did you put a nickel set of flatwounds or a stainless set? You'll want something to match.

I'd buy separate strings, instead of going through the manufacturer. I'd also attempt to buy in bulk, just to keep costs and shipping down. This also presumes a commitment to using the string for years to come. I remember local music stores selling single strings, so you might want to hit up your local music store and get an assortment to try out.
Verbian, thanks for the reply. Been hectic here and never chased up the answer until now. I really loved the coated strings and felt really slinky but apparently they can file your frets down when the coating starts to flake. So, I replaced with the flatwounds but as mentioned too difficult for waht I want to play with the with wound G. I'd like the Jag to have that 'special feel' so I'd like the flat wounds (at least) - to figure out a combo I'm happy to buy two packs of strings and ditch the 5 spare strings. Later I can take your advice of buy in bulk. So, to sum up which combination do ppl here like for flatwound 11s that allow bending the g string. I've just spent a fair amount of money on that guitar and then paid extra for a setup (choking on the 18th fret etc) but replaced with 'non-bendable' flat wounds.

I loved the guitar when I bought it and now at the moment with standard 10s it is not the special guitar it was before I payed extra to get it setup :-(

All comments appreciated!

Cheers folks.

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:27 pm

I'm confused; can't you just buy plain .018" (or .016", or .019") single strings at your local music shop for a dollar or so each?

Regardless of what sets/brands/compositions you buy the unwound strings are plain steel.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

maximee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by maximee » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:35 am

Just the other day I started playing Thomastik-Infeld JS113 flatwounds, that's a 13-53 set. Replaced the G with a plain string I had left over from a D'addario set. Coming from the D'Addarion "Medium Top- Heavy Bottom" set (11-52) it's not too hard of a switch. Very nice feeling.The sound is so full and articulate! Thomastiks are very nice, try them, if you can.

fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fuzzking » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:27 am

Galli do a flatwound set with plain G, but only in the .010 set.

http://www.gallistrings.com/inglese/sch ... &id_pro=62" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For the rest, I can't come up with a better idea than getting a .011 set and match the plain G (nickel/steel) from the same manufacturer.
Nobody exists on purpose.

sjperry54
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sjperry54 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:11 am

andy_tchp wrote:I'm confused; can't you just buy plain .018" (or .016", or .019") single strings at your local music shop for a dollar or so each?

Regardless of what sets/brands/compositions you buy the unwound strings are plain steel.
Yeah, this^^^^ is what I did. If you buy from one of the online retailers (juststrings.com is where I get mine) just order a single plain string along with your flatwound set.

ukuser
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by ukuser » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:09 pm

Thanks for the replies folks - appreciated.

To be honest, in UK I don't think local shops will sell single strings will check it out soon - too cut throat with internet purchasing for things like strings.

For the moment I have ordered some coated .10 strings like the ones originally on there.

If I could upload pictures of the guitar you would understand why I really want to play/love it again :-)

Regards to all!!

Mickster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mickster » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:59 am

Strings Direct sell single strings in the UK - knock yrself out
http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/strings- ... rings-c534" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gusgorman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gusgorman » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:49 am

Old thread but very relevant to the question I want to ask...

I've currently got some Thomastik flatwounds (11,15,19w,25,35,47) on my Jazzmaster. I like them but I'm not 100% convinced about having a wound 3rd, so thinking next time I change strings I might swap it out for a plain one.

The highest gauge Thomastik single string I can find is a 17 ( https://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/strings ... -017-p6669). This is the same as the plain steel strings that are used in Thomastik's Jazz Swing flatwound sets.

Would it be ok to swap this in for a 19w ? Or should I just use a 19 from any brand?

I have seem a comment on a youtube video where someone was saying the "correct" gauge plain string to drop in for the 20w 3rd in a set of D'Addario Chromes would be an 18. Is this correct? Does anyone know why?

JVG
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JVG » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:53 pm

I'd say the idea is that a plain 18 would have similar tension to a wound 20, assuming they're tuned to the same pitch.

My advice is dont over-think this. Try an 18, and see if you like the feel. If it's too sloppy compared to the rest of the set, go to a 19. If 18 is too tight, try a 17. Single strings are fairly cheap (especially online), and after a little bit of experimenting you will find the ones that feel right to you.

Despite what you might hear on YouTube videos or read in forums, there is no absolute right or wrong - it is all a matter of opinion.

Enjoy!
J.

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:41 am

gusgorman wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:49 am
I have seem a comment on a youtube video where someone was saying the "correct" gauge plain string to drop in for the 20w 3rd in a set of D'Addario Chromes would be an 18. Is this correct? Does anyone know why?
The Dean Markley Blue Steels used to include the 18p/20w combo for the G string. Current sets just have the 18p. Maybe it's a strength and tension thing. I don't know. I'm am sure an 'internet expert' could chime in with some physics explanations that may or may not make sense.
JVG wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:53 pm
My advice is don't over-think this. Try an 18, and see if you like the feel. If it's too sloppy compared to the rest of the set, go to a 19. If 18 is too tight, try a 17. Single strings are fairly cheap (especially online), and after a little bit of experimenting you will find the ones that feel right to you.

Despite what you might hear on YouTube videos or read in forums, there is no absolute right or wrong - it is all a matter of opinion.
YES. You just need a little trial and error. Your ears and fingers will tell you what works.

gusgorman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gusgorman » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:00 am

JVG wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:53 pm
I'd say the idea is that a plain 18 would have similar tension to a wound 20, assuming they're tuned to the same pitch.

My advice is dont over-think this. Try an 18, and see if you like the feel. If it's too sloppy compared to the rest of the set, go to a 19. If 18 is too tight, try a 17. Single strings are fairly cheap (especially online), and after a little bit of experimenting you will find the ones that feel right to you.

Enjoy!
J.
Jaguar018 wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:41 am
The Dean Markley Blue Steels used to include the 18p/20w combo for the G string. Current sets just have the 18p. Maybe it's a strength and tension thing. I don't know. I'm am sure an 'internet expert' could chime in with some physics explanations that may or may not make sense.
Jaguar018 wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:41 am
YES. You just need a little trial and error. Your ears and fingers will tell you what works.

Ok great thanks, both of you!