New offset project is underway (with photos) ~

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
frpax
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: New offset project is underway (with photos) ~

Post by frpax » Wed May 24, 2017 3:25 pm

We have been busy today!

We have re-thought our wiring and pickup selection:
Pickups will be:
Bridge: Duncan JB
Middle: Single sized hot rails humbucker
Neck: Filtertron

The neck & bridge humbuckers will have 3 position slider switches for a split coil/OFF/full humbucker deal. The middle pickup will have a 2 position on/off switch. We've eliminated the idea of a 5 position slider pickup selector switch in the upper horn and moved the master on/off from the bottom horn to the top.
the tone pots will be push/pull for phase reversal.

We are going to fill in the lower cavity area (that is exposed, as you see) tonight. We still need to rout out the upper area for the roller volumes and master on/off switch.

All in all, this is shaping up quite well! Dad and I are both pretty psyched!

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Wed May 24, 2017 4:05 pm

I really like it!!!
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Rgand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Rgand » Thu May 25, 2017 10:53 am

This is a great project! There are so many aspects of it that I like. It should be a bit lighter than a Strat and much more comfortable. Are you going to cut the waist slightly more offset toward the rear in the area where you are going to fill it? It looks like there will be plenty of space to do so.

frpax
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by frpax » Thu May 25, 2017 7:54 pm

Rgand wrote:This is a great project! There are so many aspects of it that I like. It should be a bit lighter than a Strat and much more comfortable. Are you going to cut the waist slightly more offset toward the rear in the area where you are going to fill it? It looks like there will be plenty of space to do so.
We are pretty much done with what we are doing with the body. The only major thing we need to do is rout out the control cavity to accommodate the electronics. The only reason we applied primer already, is to see all the lines and to address any flaws that we couldn't see prior to finishing.

jvin248
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jvin248 » Fri May 26, 2017 4:07 am

When you get the other electronics installed, I'd try out the FA humbucker that came in the guitar before purchasing the bridge pickup you plan to, the FAs can have some good tones. I refurbished a couple of FAs before (here's one http://www.tdpri.com/threads/the-ten-do ... er.565044/) and they can surprise in a good way.

Guitar mods are looking good!

frpax
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by frpax » Fri May 26, 2017 1:37 pm

Rgand wrote:This is a great project! There are so many aspects of it that I like. It should be a bit lighter than a Strat and much more comfortable. Are you going to cut the waist slightly more offset toward the rear in the area where you are going to fill it? It looks like there will be plenty of space to do so.
You made a GREAT suggestion. After I started looking at the photos with more scrutiny, I decided that the waist of the guitar was indeed offset wrong and also too wide. So I drew it out on paper:

Both dad and I liked it. A LOT! and so to the band saw, we went:

frpax
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by frpax » Fri May 26, 2017 2:41 pm

We've also modified (and hopefully simplified) our wiring.
Same pickup selection: B-Hot humbucker / M-mini twin rails / N-Filterton
Each pickup with it's own Jazzmaster style roller volume knob above each.
3-way slider switch below each that will be wired: coil split/full humbucker/parallel.
Each pickup with it's own push/pull tone knob that will be on/off (push on/pull off or vice versa...not sure yet)
Master On/Off 2-way slider switch.

Yeah, it's a nightmare.

Rgand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Rgand » Fri May 26, 2017 9:22 pm

frpax wrote:Both dad and I liked it. A LOT! and so to the band saw, we went:

That really works! What a difference. Nice job. Big thumbs-up to that!

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Sat May 27, 2017 12:26 am

frpax wrote:We've also modified (and hopefully simplified) our wiring.
Same pickup selection: B-Hot humbucker / M-mini twin rails / N-Filterton
Each pickup with it's own Jazzmaster style roller volume knob above each.
3-way slider switch below each that will be wired: coil split/full humbucker/parallel.
Each pickup with it's own push/pull tone knob that will be on/off (push on/pull off or vice versa...not sure yet)
Master On/Off 2-way slider switch.

Yeah, it's a nightmare.
Might be tricky to wire, but sounds amazing!! Let w know if you guys are interested in a schematic for it (if you don't already have one)!
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Amon 7.L
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Amon 7.L » Sat May 27, 2017 1:03 am

It's coming up pretty awesome, guys!! The bottom line reshape is just perfect!!!

danp3man
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by danp3man » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:30 am

frpax wrote:More progress

What is that part we added, you ask? Next photo, please

More:

Cool project- have to ask about the race car in the background though. What is it, and are you building/restoring it for racing? Obviously a man of many cool hobbies! ;)

Primered:
(Yes. we are also working on a hot rod)

frpax
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by frpax » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:10 pm

OK, we had a few days break from this, but today I made the prototype pickguard. I'm going to raise the lower bout waist line of the pickguard some and make it more "swoopy" looking, and I'm also going to slightly (ever so slightly) change it where the lower "horn" comes up to the neck. But overall, I', really liking what we've got so far.

All the electronics are either here or on their way and will likely all be here by the end of the week. In the meantime, I'm working on a few minor things on the body and will have a first color coat on it by the end of the week also.

frpax
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by frpax » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:25 pm

danp3man wrote:Cool project- have to ask about the race car in the background though. What is it, and are you building/restoring it for racing? Obviously a man of many cool hobbies
That, is my dad's project. A 1927 Model T Roadster with a Speedway nose on it. I'm now helping him on it, though.
It has a supercharged V-6 engine.
It will not be for racing, but rather just a pure hotrod (ie no A/C or heater, no radio, no windows except a front windshield, etc.)

Engine:

Rgand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Rgand » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:33 pm

frpax wrote:OK, we had a few days break from this, but today I made the prototype pickguard. I'm going to raise the lower bout waist line of the pickguard some and make it more "swoopy" looking, and I'm also going to slightly (ever so slightly) change it where the lower "horn" comes up to the neck. But overall, I', really liking what we've got so far.

All the electronics are either here or on their way and will likely all be here by the end of the week. In the meantime, I'm working on a few minor things on the body and will have a first color coat on it by the end of the week also.
This is coming along nicely. I like your idea of raising the lower waist line of the p/g. Can't wait to see it with some color.

frpax
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by frpax » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:33 pm

Rgand wrote:This is coming along nicely. I like your idea of raising the lower waist line of the p/g. Can't wait to see it with some color.
Your wish is my command!!

We have put the first color coat on, I've got a mock pickguard made and have already started routing the pickup holes. Lower waist on pickguard raised considerably as well.

Later this week all the electronics should have arrived and I'll start wiring it all up on the mock pickguard. Once it's all working properly, I'll then finish the real pickguard (which will be B/W/B with the 45 degree edge to reveal the white line) and transfer all the electronics to it.

In the meantime, we will finish the body and it will start curing.

I am extremely happy with how everything is coming along. No major setbacks (knock on wood), so far!!