Mustang-Jaguar Tremolo Conversion and Hybrid

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
PJazzmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Location: Bo Diddley Technical Institute of Cryptozoology (European HQ)

Re: Mustang-Jaguar Tremolo Conversion and Hybrid

Post by PJazzmaster » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:14 pm

yes, basically a Mustang - Bigsby conversion plate - so that the trem itself is not under the hood

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Danley » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:28 pm

...I like the Jaguar/Jazzmaster trem but...

I'd MUCH rather have a Jaguar/Jazzmaster unit with a Mustang-style Cigar :) The cigar being so far back would remove it from the influence of your picking hand (a problem for me on occasion), and give a lot more range than a stock unit. Imagine slacking the strings Mustang style on a Jaguar ;)

I don't know if the more limited range of a Jaguar/Jazzmaster trem would appeal to me as much on a Mustang, considering what used to be there. Are we wanting to do this for stability?

EDIT: Lefties? Isn't it possible to just flip the cigar?
King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Addam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Addam » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:35 am

Danley wrote:Lefties? Isn't it possible to just flip the cigar?
The string holes are counterbored for the ball-ends, but you could counterbore the other side relatively easily.

Amon 7.L
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Amon 7.L » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:08 am

PJazzmaster wrote:yes, basically a Mustang - Bigsby conversion plate - so that the trem itself is not under the hood
This is another possible solution... Maybe combining the plate joeld posted with a standard bigsby screwed on top?

Danley wrote:...I like the Jaguar/Jazzmaster trem but...

I'd MUCH rather have a Jaguar/Jazzmaster unit with a Mustang-style Cigar The cigar being so far back would remove it from the influence of your picking hand (a problem for me on occasion), and give a lot more range than a stock unit. Imagine slacking the strings Mustang style on a Jaguar

I don't know if the more limited range of a Jaguar/Jazzmaster trem would appeal to me as much on a Mustang, considering what used to be there. Are we wanting to do this for stability?
The Mustang-style Cigar on top of the Jag/Jazz Tremolo is another great idea I would like to see in real life..
The purpose of this Thread is to find the easier solution for a direct replacement onto a standard Mustang with the minimum modifications on the body whilst still maintaining -or improving- the stability and functionality that the Mustang/Jaguar Trems sports..
Addam wrote:
Danley wrote:Lefties? Isn't it possible to just flip the cigar?
The string holes are counterbored for the ball-ends, but you could counterbore the other side relatively easily.
It's indeed possible to flip the cigar.. I'm a lefty and I did this mod to my jagstang but main problem is that the Mustang Cigar holes will face forward the neck instead of the guitar butt causing the standard Arm on the Cigar to a non-functioning mode. The arm will be so badly angle downwards the pickguard that they even collide..

Even thou I now have the cigar locked, you'd easily note how this make a simple flipping un-working as a Vibrato

I guess that instead of counterboring the ball-ends on the other side of the cigar, it would be better to actually leave the dynamic vibrato in normal Right-handed position and to drill a mirrored trem arm hole on the left side of the cigar..
(I didn't do that yet on my Jagstang just because I can't manage to make the dynamic vibrato work neither on my lefty Mustang with the correct lefty device.. :fp: )

Cheers
Last edited by Amon 7.L on Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Horsefeather
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Horsefeather » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:08 pm

I just received the parts necessary to convert my Mustang bridge to Jazzmaster functionality and will post pics of my progress as it occurs.

In the mean time, has anybody gone anywhere with this thread's idea since the last post?

Horsefeather
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Horsefeather » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:27 pm

I really wanted to make a conversion plate with the same outline as the original Mustang plate but the JM guts, when arranged to work with the bottom two Mustang plate screws, place the arm collet in the same airspace as the bridge so something need to be adjusted. I first thought about redrilling the JM tailpiece to move the collet closer to the pivot but decided to try a slightly lengthened plate first. I think this looks pretty decent but I'm not decided yet.

Either way, it should be a fairly simple operation, once I figure out a good way to get an exact CAD version of the stock plate outline. I plan to have the final piece laser cut from stainless steel sheet, which I will polish to as reflective a finish as I can manage.

The custom arm, as is apparent in this shot, will need to come out of the hole headed due east before making a 90 degree jog up around the bridge.

Horsefeather
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Horsefeather » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:48 am

The experiment continues. The vibrato bar hole still needs to be relocated southward and I've found that the bottom two plate screws will need to be relocated to the sides because the JM piece blocks them. Aside from those issues, the JM hardware looks right at home on the Mustang and promises a much more playable instrument!

For now I'm using the old center plate mounting hole as the hole for the JM spring anchor but while it's close, it's not exactly where it should be, which is slightly northward. But the bridge occupies that space so it might require a flat topped countersunk screw.

arkivel
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by arkivel » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:45 pm

where are the blue saddles from?

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:22 pm

im keeping an eye on this one
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:50 pm

Love it!! I love the JM tailpiece shape, but I love some of the alternative shapes out there. This would be my favorite of the alternatives.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

palesnow67
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by palesnow67 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:51 pm

really cool project man, hope it works out for you!
10. Signatures must be no more than two lines.

sirspens
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sirspens » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:36 pm

I love it!

I really like the Mustang wiring scheme and the tones available, but hate the tremolo. This is a nice compromise, while conserving most of the original aesthetic.

Very nice.

Horsefeather
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Horsefeather » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:49 pm

Arkivel, here is the thread where I cover the bridge modification: http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... 8&t=102824

Horsefeather
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Horsefeather » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:25 am

Okay, it's done and it works perfectly and I love my Mustang again!

I just need to get a JM arm and add a 90 degree bend to it at the base now. Aside from that, this proof of concept is complete. It works just like a JM vibrato, from what I remember of them at the music store. I can deck the arm and it comes right back to pitch (pretty novel for a Mustang) and same with upbends. I love how you can see the original cigar tube holes here with their chewed up forward edges from that ridiculous stock design.

I may refine and redo this plate in laser cut stainless steel some day but I may just play it and not worry about it... we'll see.

Amon 7.L
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Amon 7.L » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:25 am

This is great, fellow!! You managed to put my concept -who photobucket graciously set to oblivion :fp: - into a working reality! Well done, kind sir!!