JBE clones?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
micaiah
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

JBE clones?

Post by micaiah » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:04 pm

so i'm not sure if this is the appropriate place for this but i have a squier Bass Vi and i'm looking for mini hums and the jbe jumped from $280 to fucking $440 and i'm not paying that lol are there pup builders that will do it for less or some other pup options that will drop in to the 3sc jag setup np mods?
Excelsior amp love it a shit load more versatile then given credit for fender strat, squier standard tele don't hate, it has the tone I've been chasing since I modded it with my secret I won't reveal unless you REALLY wanna know and a blacktop Jazzmaster

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: JBE clones?

Post by Embenny » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:13 pm

When were a set of 3 JBE pickups ever $280? I have Two/Tones in a Jazzmaster and remember looking at the Jag/Bass VI pickups and they were always something like $140 each. Maybe they raised the prices, but I don't think any JBE pickup has come out to under $100 since the 1980's...

To answer your question, any Jag/strat singlecoil pickup without the triangular baseplate will fit without mods. If you put a Strat-style (that doesn't have the triangular baseplate), there will be small gaps around the sides and edges of the pickup unless you buy a new pickguard.

I just put GFS (and now EMG) "strat" style pickups in my Bass VI because they don't have the baseplate and I wanted to go active and noiseless. The GFS didn't have the hum but has huge amounts of hiss. The EMGs solved that.

Other noiseless options that fit without routing include but aren't limited to Lace (Alumitones and Lace Sensors), and Wilde (Bill lawrence) stacked humbuckers (like the L-200S) and the twin blades (L45S).

The Wildes are probably the closest tone to the JBEs, but unless you get a new pickguard, you will have some gaps around the edges of the pickups. They won't require any routing, though.

You'll be pleased with the price point of the Wildes. Keep in mind that the company is run by Bill's widow, Becky, and their daughter, and they're a small operation...there are some quirks to their web site and ordering process/customer service, but the prices and the pickups are fantastic by all accounts...
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

micaiah
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by micaiah » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:16 pm

ah i see thanks for the info i've been tossing around the alumitone idea for a little bit how are they with drive pedals and such i also like the idea of the lace sensor set too i don't mind gaps lol for now you have peaked my interest thanks dude
Excelsior amp love it a shit load more versatile then given credit for fender strat, squier standard tele don't hate, it has the tone I've been chasing since I modded it with my secret I won't reveal unless you REALLY wanna know and a blacktop Jazzmaster

micaiah
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by micaiah » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:08 pm

i settled on the bill twin blades!