Jaguar P-Rail Wiring Help

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
samuels8833
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Jaguar P-Rail Wiring Help

Post by samuels8833 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:44 am

Hi all, I'm building my first guitar, a Warmoth Jaguar body and neck. I'm going with 2 SD P-Rails and i've already purchased a vintage wiring kit from 920D Custom Shop. My question is: how can I get the most from the P-Rails with the wiring kit I currently have? I'm not so familiar with wiring so any input would be greatly appreciated!

Here's a template I made showing the elements I currently have.

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jaguar P-Rail Wiring Help

Post by timtam » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:54 pm

The most interesting (and relatively simple) mod that really exploits those pickups might be finding space to add one DP3T 3-way ON-OFF-ON mini toggle (sometimes listed as DPDT ON-OFF-ON because only two positions are connected) ...

https://www.seymourduncan.com/pickup/p-rails-set
"Using any 3-way (on-off-on) mini-switch, each unique hybrid humbucker can be split to give you an super fat P90, or it can be split to the Rail coil for Strat like tone. With both coils on, you get a big sounding humbucker that packs a nice full punch. The neck version is wound RWRP so that, you can use both P90s or both Rails together and get hum-canceling tone."

Basic wiring of the switch for that is here (ignore the rest) ...
https://www.seymourduncan.com/wp-conten ... _1V_1T.jpg
Switch ...
https://guitarelectronics.com/double-po ... ch-chrome/

Both pickups would be switched the same way. You would need two SP3T mini-toggles to switch the two pickups individually.
https://guitarelectronics.com/single-po ... ch-chrome/
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

CorporateDisguise
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CorporateDisguise » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:39 am

I think the easiest wat to do this would be to add the Seymour Duncan Tripleshot humbucker ring. I know its somewhat pricey, but its the only way to achieve maximum versatility and not having to further mod your setup. I'm pretty certain that to do this any other way would require you to either to buy new switch plates and probably route larger cavities or buy funny looking toggle switches.

I put a P Rail in my mustang, but luckily it aleady had a three way that could be used.
It's certainly a fun pickup. Good luck.

samuels8833
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by samuels8833 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:44 am

CorporateDisguise wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:39 am
I think the easiest wat to do this would be to add the Seymour Duncan Tripleshot humbucker ring. I know its somewhat pricey, but its the only way to achieve maximum versatility and not having to further mod your setup. I'm pretty certain that to do this any other way would require you to either to buy new switch plates and probably route larger cavities or buy funny looking toggle switches.

I put a P Rail in my mustang, but luckily it aleady had a three way that could be used.
It's certainly a fun pickup. Good luck.
What about using the rhythm controls to blend the P90 / Humbucker / Rails? Something similar to how a Jaguar HH is wired to blend the coils.

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:05 am

And this space is found easily - just replace the sliders with them. They fit! :)
I did this on mine!

I used various diagrams - most of them can be had directly at SD - and also Shadoweclipse helped me a lot.

At first I had it like this:
3 Way Toggle for the PUs, Rhythm Channel Roller pots for volume and tone of the Neck PU (better change the pot or/and tone cap - it was a bit dark tbh)
2 3-way switches for P90-Humbucker-Rail and Strangle Switch (I love that feature)
Old photo:

I had different PUs in it in between - now back to the P-Rails - now I have only one 3 way switch that controls both PUs at once - but I honestly could live without the HB. The extra switch is now the for the rhythm channel - so my neck PU is bright again - and of course the Toggle! :)
New pic (upgraded guard and plates too)

I don't have the parallel/seriell and in and out of phase possibilities but I doubt I would use them anyhow... I'm very happy with it.

On which colour combination have you settled (guitar, guard and pickups)?
I find the open covers give it a little bit of extra coolness - and they're quite cheap to be had - can't tell if it looks as good on the white or cream covers. Black PUs on Tort looked boring imho.

Curious how your's is working out! :)

samuels8833
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by samuels8833 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:34 am

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:05 am
On which colour combination have you settled (guitar, guard and pickups)?
I find the open covers give it a little bit of extra coolness - and they're quite cheap to be had - can't tell if it looks as good on the white or cream covers. Black PUs on Tort looked boring imho.

Curious how your's is working out! :)
Wow, very cool looking Jag! Really dig the binding on the body and the neck. 8)

Mine is all black (body, guard, PU, knobs) with a maple neck (satin nitro). I don't usually see Jags with maple necks and I think the black w/maple looks sharp. Also ordered a Mastery bridge and just got the shipping tracking number on that. Gotoh Magnum Locking tuners coming as well.

After shielding and drilling guard and control holes

Rgand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Rgand » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:53 am

Black with black PG and a maple neck. I love that combination. It really looks classy. Good choice, there.

I wired my P-Rails on my JM with two DPDT slide switches. They function exactly like toggles would and don't stick up in the way. They look better, too. That said, I use them in the P-90 setting almost all the time. Now and then I switch to rail mode and, highly infrequently, to humbuckers.

Your easiest course of action, though, is to follow CorporateDisguise's suggestion with the Seymour Duncan Tripleshot humbucker rings.

kalipigeon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kalipigeon » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:17 pm

I also recommend the Tripleshot rings. They make the wiring a ton easier and give easy access to combinations that most of the other wiring schemes I've seen have to compromise in some way. This would also have the benefit of freeing up your guitar controls to use any Jaguar wiring you might like.