anyone on here ever converted dots to blocks?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

anyone on here ever converted dots to blocks?

Post by s_mcsleazy » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:38 pm

i have a strat neck i want to use for a future project. it's not an expensive neck but it's got a real comfortable feel and it's a big headstock. which is my main focus. however i really want the guitar i'm planning to have block inlays. anyone on here ever converted a dotted fretboard to a blocked one? any examples of how it looks?
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

PJazzmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Location: Bo Diddley Technical Institute of Cryptozoology (European HQ)

Re: anyone on here ever converted dots to blocks?

Post by PJazzmaster » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:04 pm

no, I've never done that but google for guitar block inlay stickers, that's one easy and cheap option.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:22 pm

Those inlay stickers are nasty.

I can't imagine it'd be much different to convert than it would to put blocks in from the start. I wouldn't be surprised if you had to yank the frets first, though. Ain't nothing about installing blocks gonna be cheap unless you can do it all yourself.

There are also those BB big headstock chinese necks you can get on ebay. Might be a better way to go.
This is an excellent rectangle

TeenageShutdown!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by TeenageShutdown! » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:51 pm

The Jockomo sticker inlays are of great quality & don’t look nasty at all. They hold up well, can’t be felt, & they look pretty convincing.

This partscaster has white pearl inlays.

And this JM has aged white pearl inlays.

The aged white pearl ones have quite a green tint to them that look like shit IMO. I’ll be swapping them out next string change. Hope this is of use.
Last edited by TeenageShutdown! on Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dinosaurkale->
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dinosaurkale-> » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:57 pm

i used the Jockomo ones once and they actually look feel decent...the problem was that i put a few on a little crooked

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:59 pm

I heard various opinions about this fellow - if I'm not mistaken he even was a member here once - but nevertheless and whatever he claimed and what may and what may not have been true - his work looks decent: it's a Fender Thinline Jaguar - so it's a delicious guitar by itself - but it looks really cool with the Blocks too!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWNoHJdX9b0

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:43 pm

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:59 pm
I heard various opinions about this fellow - if I'm not mistaken he even was a member here once - but nevertheless and whatever he claimed and what may and what may not have been true - his work looks decent: it's a Fender Thinline Jaguar - so it's a delicious guitar by itself - but it looks really cool with the Blocks too!
http://scammingcunt
No, just no. That guy (Paulk/paulk1) was a prize fuckwit and scammer deliberately attempting to deceive people with Squiers misrepresented as Fenders (and sadly sold a Mascis JM successfully on eBay for nearly double its list price). The quality of his 'modds' was shithouse.

He was fairly quickly booted off the forum for all of those reasons IIRC.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:01 pm

mackerelmint wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:22 pm
Those inlay stickers are nasty.

I can't imagine it'd be much different to convert than it would to put blocks in from the start. I wouldn't be surprised if you had to yank the frets first, though. Ain't nothing about installing blocks gonna be cheap unless you can do it all yourself.

There are also those BB big headstock chinese necks you can get on ebay. Might be a better way to go.
You've got that exactly right - the only way to easily and properly rout for and install inlays is to pull the frets. It's easier to work with a fretboard before it's on a neck, but it's not insurmountable.

I've heard of/seen internet photos from people who have attempted to do so without a refret being involved, and I have never seen evidence of it turning out well. You'd be balancing a router on frets instead of a fretboard, which just sounds like asking for an accident to happen.

So it's not really that complicated, it's more that it's labour intensive and/or expensive if you aren't equipped with the skills to do it. For the cost of a refret and inlay job, you could save time and trouble and just sell the neck to buy one with the inlays.

Also, block inlays on Fenders look wrong to me without binding, and you absolutely have to remove the frets to rout binding channels.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 601210 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:26 pm

andy_tchp wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:43 pm
No, just no. That guy (Paulk/paulk1) was a prize fuckwit and scammer deliberately attempting to deceive people with Squiers misrepresented as Fenders (and sadly sold a Mascis JM successfully on eBay for nearly double its list price). The quality of his 'modds' was shithouse.

I think I saw the thread on shortscale or something, a good 1/5 of it was people telling him the ethical issues of adding a Fender decal to headstocks with him insisting that he's only doing it for himself and has no intention of selling, while talking about his buyers in the same breath.

Curious guy. Some of us see a world full of opportunity. He sees one full of necks waiting to have blocks hacked into them.

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:19 am

601210 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:26 pm
andy_tchp wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:43 pm

I think I saw the thread on shortscale or something, a good 1/5 of it was people telling him the ethical issues of adding a Fender decal to headstocks with him insisting that he's only doing it for himself and has no intention of selling, while talking about his buyers in the same breath.

Curious guy. Some of us see a world full of opportunity. He sees one full of necks waiting to have blocks hacked into them.
Haha. Okay. I take everything back! :-/
I heard rumors about him telling he's a former Fender custom shop emplyee - which I already doubted - but the videos didn't give away much info - but it looked more than okay... But you know how I think about scammers in the music/equipment sector! >:(
Ethically an absolute no go! Strip them from their ranks and titles and let them take the black - or something appropriate like that! :)

But +1 on blocks do only look good with binding and are a pain in the a** to work on later - due to the very same!

Paolo_ray
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Paolo_ray » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:27 am

I recently converted a dot marker Allparts neck to Blocks and binding:

https://imgur.com/a/zBzFddI

It's not the easiest thing to do. I ended up buying way more tools than expected and quite a few necks to practice on. I'm pretty happy with the end result though!

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:34 am

I had a pro do it, and it cost a good chunk of change as they have to rout out the blocks and all that; it was a new neck and USACG didn't do it. [This was back before USAGC's struggles/ownership change].

My guess is that for a pro job it would be close the same cost as getting a new neck. For the love of all that is blocky, PLEASE don't have anyone put Gibson-size blocks on a Fender-style neck.

JeffBob
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by JeffBob » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:19 am

Yes, I do it often! It's my favorite mod to do. I also like the large(cbs) headstock.
I've done it without removing the frets with a special jig I made. Im working on one now that I'm getting ready to fret.
I'm new here, but I'm going to try and post some pics...wish me luck!
I can help/guide you through it if it's something you want to do also.
Amature hobby luthier wannabe....when I have time

JeffBob
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by JeffBob » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:35 am

Amature hobby luthier wannabe....when I have time

Off_Set_of_Mind
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Off_Set_of_Mind » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:29 am

Did this once for a friend of mine. If you make a routing bed to go above the neck and have the neck locked down, it a lot easier. It’s way easier to do without frets on the fretboard because you’ll have to sand the neck to level the blocks. So you’ll need a radius block that matches the radius on your neck (StewMac sells them). You’ll want to get as close to the corner as you can with a routing bit, I used a dremel set up with an adapter (also from StewMac) and in the corners, use a sharp chisel.

It takes a lot of patience and if you haven’t done anything like this before, I’d recommend practicing on a cheap neck first.