HELP!! DIY Johnny Marr Jaguar Wiring Problems!!

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
nbc580
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: HELP!! DIY Johnny Marr Jaguar Wiring Problems!!

Post by nbc580 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:22 am

Thanks for the detailed, response. I've attached a picture of the pickups before I wired them. It looks like the neck pickup is as you described, but the bridge pickup has the short silver wire. I bought this "Johnny Marr loaded pickguard" off reverb, so theoretically it should be the JM Bareknuckles...

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by timtam » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:02 pm

So your problem doesn't appear to be one for which the claw ground separation was the solution, as your neck pickup already has that (only the neck needs it in the Marr circuit). So you're putting a loaded Marr guard into a guitar with your own wiring for the 4way and the rest ? According to the Fender Marr wiring diagram ? What exactly are the symptoms ? If the 4way isn't giving you what you expect, I'd start with checking the inputs/outputs to that switch, and the 2 links on the switch from lug to lug, and the link to ground. Check that the ground is really grounded, with a multimeter. You can check that the 4way is switching the contacts correctly according to (eg position one has A0-A1 and B0-B1, etc.) ...
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

hpr_hpr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hpr_hpr » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:40 pm

Without knowing what the exact symptoms are (and / or seeing a picture of the switch) we can’t be sure but one thing immediately come to mind: was the 4 way switch inadvertently inverted during disassembly and thus wired incorrectly?
When thinking about any advice given always ask yourself "why would (s)he know more than I do".

nbc580
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by nbc580 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:50 pm

Here are the problems I'm having:
  • the selector only changes between two sounds
  • 1&2 are the same, 3&4 are the same (both sounds are way bassier, lack bite compared to my Fender JM Jag)
  • some static/scratchiness when playing
Basically the selector only changes between two sounds. 1 & 2 are the same and 3 & 4 are the same. Additionally neither of those sounds are anything like my Fender JM Jag (it's much bassier). And there is some static/scratchiness going on as well

I'm terrible at soldering, so re-examining how I wired it, here's what seems like i messed up:
  • neck pickup black wire going to grounding spot instead of low left connector
  • questionable solder job on the bright switch's orange cable (this switch works though)
  • solder filling the switch connector between the red and white cable
wiring diagram:
https://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/Orig ... B_SISD.pdf