jazzmaster varitone wiring layout

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Huggie66
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

jazzmaster varitone wiring layout

Post by Huggie66 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:25 pm

Hi has anyone got a wiring diagram or gutshots of who a varitone switch is installed as in these revelation jazz masters? Im building a jazzmaster from scratch and like the idea. Ive seen them advertised in rothstiens site, but could make one, I just need a nod in the right direction, thanks Peeps! :)

_nash
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: jazzmaster varitone wiring layout

Post by _nash » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:46 pm

I have a sheet that tells you wiring layouts for a 6-position rotaty. Think that’d help?

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:12 pm

Here's one I designed that's not quite a Varitone, but with a strangle cap, bypass (no caps), and 4 other capacitors. All the Varitones are is a 6-position rotary switch (DP6T) with 5 different values of capacitor on them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mO46qveHL3M
Here's a great video with examples of the sounds.

Are you looking for one just like the ES-345 (one Varitone) with a standard JM? That'd be SUPER simple to do.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Gordon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gordon » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:16 pm

Did that on a previous guitar...

It was quite fun, and simple. The only tricky part is to chose the capacitors' value. However, associated with a tone knob, it offers more freedom.
Graphic designer (comics stuff, Doctor Who, Star Wars...): https://www.instagram.com/monsieurgordon/ \o/

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:12 pm

Gordon, are you saying you made yours to be like a tone pot capacitor selector, i.e not a separate circuit like the original Varitone?
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Gordon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gordon » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:26 pm

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:12 pm
Gordon, are you saying you made yours to be like a tone pot capacitor selector, i.e not a separate circuit like the original Varitone?
Yup. Fixed capacitors (like most varitone, and also in Gretsches) often result, in my experience, in one usable setting. It's fun to play with, but ultimately, I never managed to go past that. With a varitone that is there to select what value is connected to the tone knob, however, there are so many variations... I wish I could have played more with mine to experiment more, get rid of some cap values and tried other ones.
Graphic designer (comics stuff, Doctor Who, Star Wars...): https://www.instagram.com/monsieurgordon/ \o/

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:57 pm

That's badass! I'm tempted to try a double varitone like that, one for bass cut, one for treble cut.

Huggie66
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Huggie66 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:39 am

Thats what I was looking for! Thanks. The pic with the orange drop caps on the rotary switch? I can't quite see the wiring config. I can see you've got a couple of switches there, any way showing the connections to switches and pups? would appreciate it!

Gordon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gordon » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:11 pm

Huggie66 wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:39 am
Thats what I was looking for! Thanks. The pic with the orange drop caps on the rotary switch? I can't quite see the wiring config. I can see you've got a couple of switches there, any way showing the connections to switches and pups? would appreciate it!
Top row is volume and tone (with the cap switch aka varitone). Bottom row: pickup switches and varitone.

The switches were individual on (up)/off (down), pickups in parallel (both up), pickups in series (both down). I've always prefered the "one switch per pickup" system, it looks and read better; but that's if you have the space. I don't have the schematics anymore, but I'm sure Shadoweclipse13 can help. If not, I can look into it.

Gordon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gordon » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:33 pm

Had a couple of minutes to spare between taking notes...

Switches are 2-pos (on/on) DPDT. Drawn from memory, but it seems correct. Sorry for the quick doodle, Shadoweclipse13 if you want to make it cleaner for your thread, be my guest. :D

hpr_hpr
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by hpr_hpr » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:07 am

Hmm . . . re variable resistors in a 'varitone circuit'. I currently have a 2 options with I think are 0.068 & 0.022 in my JM (with PRails not JM pickups) and no matter what the configuration of the pickups (they are wired so I can get any single or combination of coils) the difference between the caps 'subtle' at best and can be - as far as I can hear - be adjusted to be the same with a slight adjustment of the tone knob to be as good as indistinguishable . . . thus this feature is slated to be removed/revised into something else . . .

The original varitone circuit in a Gibson in addition to the different caps includes a "choke", a 1.5 Henry inductor, between the caps and GND . . . this inductor / choke functions as a low pass filter so this circuit preferentially shuts MIDDLE frequencies (between the cutoff frequencies of the choke and the chosen cap) to GND and not, as when you use just a cap between SGNL & GND all frequencies over the cutoff (the reason these still had a useful tone knob).

. . . this is of course simplistic as caps & coils, especially in combination with resistors are NOT isolated units but interact HEAVILY . . . (BTW - traditional guitar pickups also function as coils between SGNL & GND)
When thinking about any advice given always ask yourself "why would (s)he know more than I do".

Huggie66
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Huggie66 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:54 am

Thanks people much food for thought! Appreciated!

Digital Larry
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Digital Larry » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:24 am

hpr_hpr wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:07 am
The original varitone circuit in a Gibson in addition to the different caps includes a "choke", a 1.5 Henry inductor, between the caps and GND . . . this inductor / choke functions as a low pass filter so this circuit preferentially shuts MIDDLE frequencies (between the cutoff frequencies of the choke and the chosen cap) to GND and not, as when you use just a cap between SGNL & GND all frequencies over the cutoff (the reason these still had a useful tone knob).
A series inductor (aka choke) and capacitor is by itself a "resonant circuit" with high impedance (small loading effect) at both high and low frequencies, but at the magical resonant frequency, the impedance is very low. Hang that off your guitar's output and it will give a midrange notch. Switch between caps to change the frequency of the notch. Put a series pot in the circuit to change the depth of the notch.

I noticed these cheapo Tagima TW-61s (which are in abundance at the local Starving Musician) have a "varitone" instead of the rhythm circuit. Seems intriguing, although the guitars themselves are probably typical of anything at that price. I might go check one out to see how bad they can be.

garbageslurp
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by garbageslurp » Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:13 am

Digital Larry wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:24 am
hpr_hpr wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:07 am
A series inductor (aka choke) and capacitor is by itself a "resonant circuit" with high impedance (small loading effect) at both high and low frequencies, but at the magical resonant frequency, the impedance is very low. Hang that off your guitar's output and it will give a midrange notch. Switch between caps to change the frequency of the notch. Put a series pot in the circuit to change the depth of the notch.

I noticed these cheapo Tagima TW-61s (which are in abundance at the local Starving Musician) have a "varitone" instead of the rhythm circuit. Seems intriguing, although the guitars themselves are probably typical of anything at that price. I might go check one out to see how bad they can be.
Hey sorry to resurrect a 6 year old post but wondered if you ever checked out the TW-61? I've got one, and I am itching to put Railhammer pickups in it, cause the thing plays beautifully but the pups are useless to me. Was curious if you ever got one and did any modifications or looked at the wiring scheme for the pups. I cant even even seem to get mine apart

Digital Larry
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Digital Larry » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:14 pm

garbageslurp wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:13 am
Digital Larry wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:24 am

Hey sorry to resurrect a 6 year old post but wondered if you ever checked out the TW-61? I've got one, and I am itching to put Railhammer pickups in it, cause the thing plays beautifully but the pups are useless to me. Was curious if you ever got one and did any modifications or looked at the wiring scheme for the pups. I cant even even seem to get mine apart
Haha no, I never did.