New Partsmaster build: Charcoal Frost Thinline Jazzmaster

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New Partsmaster build: Charcoal Frost Thinline Jazzmaster

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Mon May 20, 2024 9:57 am

GilmourD wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 7:23 am
tequila_in_teacups wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 1:30 am
Please don't put a Brush Script logo on it.
I have to say, it drives me nuts that in 2024 nobody has been able to make a font that's at least close to what Fender used. Strato is kinda spaghetti logo like, but the transition-forward logo is but isn't Brush Script.
The Font I used for these is even called "Fender Font"...

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Mon May 20, 2024 11:35 am

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 9:57 am
GilmourD wrote:
Mon May 20, 2024 1:30 am
Please don't put a Brush Script logo on it.
I have to say, it drives me nuts that in 2024 nobody has been able to make a font that's at least close to what Fender used. Strato is kinda spaghetti logo like, but the transition-forward logo is but isn't Brush Script.
The Font I used for these is even called "Fender Font"...
Incidentally any page that references it on the greater Intarwebnetz has either been edited or leads to a dead link. :'(

tequila_in_teacups
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tequila_in_teacups » Tue May 21, 2024 1:47 am

Mon May 20, 2024 5:20 am
Why not? In general or for this specific (Gandalf-themed) build? What would you suggest?
Do what you like, obviously – it's your guitar. My main issue with Brush Script (or "Fender Font", which it's definitely not) is the terrible kerning. And even if you massage kerning to get it looking somewhat acceptable, it's just not a very attractive or well designed font, IMO. I just can't not associate it with terrible amateur design because it's been a standard font on computers for at least the last twenty years and has been used in all kinds of terrible amateur designs where the user decided a vaguely scripty font was required.

I work in publishing and occasionally design and typeset books, so I'm aware I'm a little snooty about this. :-[ I just don't think the same font that's been used on probably millions of baby shower invitations necessarily makes the best headstock logo :D and I think it detracts from otherwise nice guitars.
GilmourD wrote:

The thing is that the Fender logo is designed to be a logo – it's not intended to be a complete typeface. The five letters in the logo work well together because that's all they're designed to do. To make a whole font in that style is a different challenge – the whole typeface has to work together harmoniously. The font you linked to shows, I think, that the distinctive lowercase e doesn't really work outside the Fender logo – it looks pretty incongruent with any character that's not F, n, d, or r, I think. A designer would draw that letterform differently so that it worked better with the whole character set.

I did some quick searching and came across this, which has a similar sort of feel to the spaghetti logo, I think, but is altogether more successful as a font than Strato or Brush Script.

A few quick designs using the above font and some of MayTheFuzzBeWithYou's sketches to illustrate:

I realise this is sort of anachronistic in that it mixes a spaghetti-style logo with '70s big block lettering, but I haven't found anything that quite has the same feel as the CBS logo and is an overall well-designed font yet. And for the sake of speed, I haven't messed around curving the design like the originals.

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Tue May 21, 2024 2:42 am

Tue May 21, 2024 1:47 am
The font you linked to shows, I think, that the distinctive lowercase e doesn't really work outside the Fender logo – it looks pretty incongruent with any character that's not F, n, d, or r, I think. A designer would draw that letterform differently so that it worked better with the whole character set.
I think logos is where I would be going with it, anyway, so in my head that totally works.
Tue May 21, 2024 1:47 am
I realise this is sort of anachronistic in that it mixes a spaghetti-style logo with '70s big block lettering, but I haven't found anything that quite has the same feel as the CBS logo and is an overall well-designed font yet. And for the sake of speed, I haven't messed around curving the design like the originals.
That's the part that frustrates me. I want to do something possibly based on my name and I could pull off a Jazzmaster or other Early style logo with Strato, but a proper Jaguar or Mustang logo would have the newer style.

tequila_in_teacups
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tequila_in_teacups » Tue May 21, 2024 2:47 am

Maybe this as a nod to CBS and later style.

https://fonts.adobe.com/fonts/redondo-ave#fonts-section

tequila_in_teacups
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tequila_in_teacups » Tue May 21, 2024 2:51 am

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Tue May 21, 2024 4:03 am

Tue May 21, 2024 2:47 am

Could work, in my case at least. Not sure about MtFBWY. I'd probably still "steal" the S from the Squier logo since my last name is Scioscia, so I'd either be putting that or "Soshey" (as one of my friends calls me) or maybe "T.Sosh" which I've used as an account name in some places. LOL

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Tue May 21, 2024 12:23 pm

Tue May 21, 2024 2:47 am

This (reversed) would be lovely! Thank you for changing my mind. Until now I would have been happy with whatever Rothko & Frost are offering as their default Fender-esque decal typo (I forgot which one it was, they once told me).
The first font you posted is not my mug of Tiki Cocktail (but I also don‘t like Fender’s Spagetti logo - I‘m 100% in the transition (and cbs) logo camp).

tequila_in_teacups
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tequila_in_teacups » Tue May 21, 2024 2:04 pm

Tue May 21, 2024 12:23 pm
This (reversed) would be lovely! Thank you for changing my mind. Until now I would have been happy with whatever Rothko & Frost are offering as their default Fender-esque decal typo (I forgot which one it was, they once told me).
The first font you posted is not my mug of Tiki Cocktail (but I also don‘t like Fender’s Spagetti logo - I‘m 100% in the transition (and cbs) logo camp).
I prefer the later logos too – especially on a Jazzmaster headstock. The spaghetti logo always looks a bit thin to me.

This font's not perfect – I'm sure there's something better out there – but it's a pretty good start and much better than Brush Script, I think. I'd be happy to make up whatever style decal you like using these fonts and add the appropriate curvature.

Here's a gold version:

I also found a few alternative letterforms – a W with a shorter tail that looks nicer, I think; a different i that runs into the z, a double l ligature; a slightly curvier S.

tequila_in_teacups
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tequila_in_teacups » Tue May 21, 2024 2:50 pm

GilmourD wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 4:03 am
Could work, in my case at least. Not sure about MtFBWY. I'd probably still "steal" the S from the Squier logo since my last name is Scioscia, so I'd either be putting that or "Soshey" (as one of my friends calls me) or maybe "T.Sosh" which I've used as an account name in some places. LOL
Couple of quick sketches for you. Again, I've not added curvature yet.

Last edited by tequila_in_teacups on Tue May 21, 2024 3:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Tue May 21, 2024 3:30 pm

Tue May 21, 2024 2:50 pm
GilmourD wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 4:03 am
Couple of quick sketches for you. Again, I've not added curvature yet

:w00t:

tequila_in_teacups
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tequila_in_teacups » Tue May 21, 2024 3:38 pm

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Tue May 21, 2024 5:20 pm

Tue May 21, 2024 3:38 pm
Well, I don't want to completely clog up MtFBWY's thread with my BS (sorry, man!) but that's FREAKIN' AWESOME! I'm definitely going to have to think of something funny to substitute for "INSERT CUSTOM TEXT HERE" and a different name for the Jazzmaster I'm building. One of the Jaguars is definitely going to be designated "MARRGUAR" (hopefully with the little tail on the last "R") but... Yeah. Enough of me! LOL

Thanks!

tequila_in_teacups
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by tequila_in_teacups » Wed May 22, 2024 12:09 am

GilmourD wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 5:20 pm
One of the Jaguars is definitely going to be designated "MARRGUAR" (hopefully with the little tail on the last "R") but... Yeah. Enough of me! LOL

Thanks!
I've found this font, which is pretty close. The R's not quite as swishy and the G is almost imperceptibly different, but it's probably near enough. Sadly my skills don't extend to actually drawing type, so best I can offer is something close.

Anyway, yes, /thread hijack.