What's on your workbench right now?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Rgand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: What's on your workbench right now?

Post by Rgand » Fri May 31, 2019 5:29 am

Amon 7.L wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 4:26 am
If he doesn't mind thou, I did a few tweaks (aka rounded the outline of the headstock and the bridge corners to match the body outlines) and -as suggested by Shadoweclipse13- added, or better, "subtrack" a portion of the pickguard to complete the flow.
I like it. The design is a good one. Rounding the corners of the headstock is a plus. I'd like to see a humbucker between the bridge and neck pickup. Perhaps one of those staggered ones like Rio Grande makes.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Fri May 31, 2019 8:13 am

Amon 7.L wrote:
This is perfect. Minimalistic with the right amount of negative space.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

epizootics
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by epizootics » Fri May 31, 2019 8:50 am

Amon 7.L wrote:
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 12:46 am
epizootics wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 11:28 pm
I like the bottom one a bit better with the angled pickup, but I feel like it needs something between the neck pickup and the bridge. Bridge design is super cool though!!
That is my same feeling.
epizootics design is really good and he definitely nailed the bridge design.

If he doesn't mind thou, I did a few tweaks (aka rounded the outline of the headstock and the bridge corners to match the body outlines) and -as suggested by Shadoweclipse13- added, or better, "subtrack" a portion of the pickguard to complete the flow.
Don't mind at all - that's pretty damn great! We should start doing collaborative OSG designs...The Cra-Z Sanny Club lives on!
Seriously, rounding the few remaining corners is a great idea. Not sure about the shape of that hole in the pg, but there's definitely an idea there.

Amon 7.L
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Amon 7.L » Fri May 31, 2019 9:50 am

epizootics wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 8:50 am
Amon 7.L wrote:
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 12:46 am

I like the bottom one a bit better with the angled pickup, but I feel like it needs something between the neck pickup and the bridge. Bridge design is super cool though!!
That is my same feeling.
epizootics design is really good and he definitely nailed the bridge design.

Don't mind at all - that's pretty damn great! We should start doing collaborative OSG designs...The Cra-Z Sanny Club lives on!
Seriously, rounding the few remaining corners is a great idea. Not sure about the shape of that hole in the pg, but there's definitely an idea there.
The collaborative design is already happening, bro! ;D Long live Cra-Z Sanny Club!!
Thanks, I'm glad you like it. The shape of the hole is basically a shrunken version of your pickguard, a quick 5 minute job on photoshop to taste the ground. Possibilities are endless! Call me in if you want to unleash my OCD with your design ;D

epizootics
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by epizootics » Fri May 31, 2019 11:55 pm

Well, after a few tweaks...

I realize I still haven't rounded off those corners enough on the headstock!
By the way, this one is another small guitar - 23" scale...

antisymmetric
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by antisymmetric » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:00 am

^^I like your original design with the single pickup- I'm probably prejudiced because I've got my Dano thing mocked up and playing (getting the string tension on it before chucking it back in the jig for fret levelling) and I soldered a jack to the pickup wire and it's fun! Even shorter scale than yours (22.7") and just that Kay Jimmy Reed pickup in the neck position and it needs nothing more. Small and simple FTW. You'll have a lot of fun with yours! 8)
Watching the corners turn corners

Amon 7.L
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Amon 7.L » Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:50 am

Forgive me, my OCD has been triggered :D

Rounded headstock;
Slanted fretboard overhang, you know it increase your shredding speeds, right?
Bridge plate re-shape.

I was also moving your bridge pu further back, but then I thought to leave it where it is 'cause it's probably a calculated location for you.

Rgand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Rgand » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:06 am

This is really coming along nicely. Have you considered making the string anchor holes at an angle the same as the pickups? That would, of course, necessitate a slightly different bridge plate shape, probably asymetrical. It might look good or it could be too much. Food for thought, anyway.

Edit: maybe a vee shape to match the existing bridge plate shape?

epizootics
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by epizootics » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:05 am

Amon 7.L wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:50 am

Rounded headstock;
Bridge plate re-shape.

I was also moving your bridge pu further back, but then I thought to leave it where it is 'cause it's probably a calculated location for you.
Yaaay, that's pretty much perfect! The overhang is a great idea, same with the joining of the pickguard and bridge (I was tempted to move the neck inwards a bit further for the sake of balance anyway).

Rgand, a 'V' formation is a great idea - I think an asymmetrical bridge would be too much, and keeping the slant of the pickup would clash against the slight slant of the tune-o-matic itself, but Vee sounds perfect!

The idea behind that bridge plate is to hollow out most of what's underneath and screw the bridge posts directly into the plate. I'm still debating the relative merits of tapping the holes or using rivnuts - I think rivnuts would be safer but they would add an extra piece of metal that might go against the idea of having a resonance chamber under the bridge. I've done this before and it seems to add a nice acoustic 'clickiness' to the attack. Plus it makes for an interesting feedback machine if you loosen up the screws somewhat.

Rgand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Rgand » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:15 pm

epizootics wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:05 am
The idea behind that bridge plate is to hollow out most of what's underneath and screw the bridge posts directly into the plate. I'm still debating the relative merits of tapping the holes or using rivnuts - I think rivnuts would be safer but they would add an extra piece of metal that might go against the idea of having a resonance chamber under the bridge. I've done this before and it seems to add a nice acoustic 'clickiness' to the attack. Plus it makes for an interesting feedback machine if you loosen up the screws somewhat.
What if you made a nutplate and tapped that? You could even screw or rivet it to the bridge plate.

Amon 7.L
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Amon 7.L » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:38 pm

epizootics wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:05 am
Amon 7.L wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:50 am

Rounded headstock;
Bridge plate re-shape.

Yaaay, that's pretty much perfect! The overhang is a great idea, same with the joining of the pickguard and bridge (I was tempted to move the neck inwards a bit further for the sake of balance anyway).

Rgand, a 'V' formation is a great idea - I think an asymmetrical bridge would be too much, and keeping the slant of the pickup would clash against the slight slant of the tune-o-matic itself, but Vee sounds perfect!

Thanks guys :)

Rgand, I totally agree with you with the "V" formation.
If you scroll back in the page, there's one mock up in which I've put it on just to see how it would have looked like but I thought epizootics wasn't keen on that and I left straight line original configuration when I did the last OCD mod.
I'd definitely go for it and for the moving the bridge pu inwards. It would simply be perfect.

Rgand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Rgand » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:18 pm

Amon 7.L wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:38 pm
If you scroll back in the page, there's one mock up in which I've put it on just to see how it would have looked like but I thought epizootics wasn't keen on that and I left straight line original configuration when I did the last OCD mod.
I'd definitely go for it and for the moving the bridge pu inwards. It would simply be perfect.
I do remember that now and went back to take a look. The Vee formation was on a rounded plate so I had not carried that idea forward in my mind. I was thinking of the plate flattened into a shallow 'V' shape itself.

Amon 7.L
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Amon 7.L » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:21 pm

Rgand wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:18 pm
Amon 7.L wrote:
I do remember that now and went back to take a look. The Vee formation was on a rounded plate so I had not carried that idea forward in my mind. I was thinking of the plate flattened into a shallow 'V' shape itself.
Yup, that's the reason why I thought he might have overlooked it/rejected altogether.

I'm working on THREE variations right now... Stick around :ph34r:

Rgand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Rgand » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:43 pm

Amon 7.L wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:21 pm
Rgand wrote:
Amon 7.L wrote:
Yup, that's the reason why I thought he might have overlooked it/rejected altogether.

You bet I will!

Amon 7.L
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Amon 7.L » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:28 pm

Rgand wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:43 pm
Amon 7.L wrote:
Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:21 pm
Rgand wrote:

You bet I will!
As threatened, here's a triplet.

#4: is self explanatory. The VEE shaped string-thru configuration AND bridge pu moved inwards

Now, I know you said an asymmetric bridge would be too much but playing with shapes has never hurt anybody. Not at this stage, at least. :fp:

#5: I was curious to see how the pickguard would look with the back slant mimicking the pickups.

#6: I couldn't determinate if the pickguard in the original design was slanted backwards just like the TOM bridge or if it was a straight line so I wanted to try doing a "VEE" increasing said tilt in opposition to the pickup's orientation.

One thing to keep in mind is that we also have to consider the parts with screws, bevels and whatnot, it can enhance things quite a bit.

Shit. I'm compiling this update and already thinking about further tweakings. :fp:

I'll stop here 'cause I don't want hijack epizootics any way nor I want to flood this thread with possibly useless drafts.