Lowe Shop Notes

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Post Reply
User avatar
Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 8245
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:22 pm
Location: Stuck in the dimension of imagination

Re: Lowe Shop Notes

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:57 pm

Silver with walnut is really classy looking. I dig basses with a single pickup too! How does it play?
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

User avatar
BeeTL
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 518
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Lowe Shop Notes

Post by BeeTL » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:43 am

It plays fantastic as far as I'm concerned.

If I was setting it up for somebody else, I'd probably work on getting the action just a teeny bit lower.

If I bring it to Summer NAMM, that's likely what I'll do.
Owner, Lowe Custom Guitars

User avatar
BeeTL
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 518
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Lowe Shop Notes

Post by BeeTL » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:36 pm

I'm excited about addding Rubio Monocoat finishes to the portfolio.

0% VOC, easy to apply, and easy to maintain.

This is not your father's guitar finish.

Image
Owner, Lowe Custom Guitars

User avatar
BeeTL
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 518
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Lowe Shop Notes

Post by BeeTL » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:12 pm

I'm really looking forward to exhibiting at Summer NAMM in Nashville.

I will have quite a few build updates to post between now and then.

Image
Owner, Lowe Custom Guitars

User avatar
BeeTL
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 518
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Lowe Shop Notes

Post by BeeTL » Thu May 02, 2019 6:38 pm

Here's a sketch of what the booth for Summer NAMM will look like, although with slatgrid, not slatwall:

Image
Owner, Lowe Custom Guitars

User avatar
marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 3093
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:37 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Lowe Shop Notes

Post by marqueemoon » Thu May 02, 2019 9:19 pm

BeeTL wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 6:38 pm
Here's a sketch of what the booth for Summer NAMM will look like, although with slatgrid, not slatwall:

Image
Cool. Just out of curiosity what are your goals in showing at Namm? From what I understand up until now you've mainly sold direct.

User avatar
BeeTL
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 518
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Lowe Shop Notes

Post by BeeTL » Fri May 03, 2019 4:17 am

marqueemoon wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 9:19 pm
Cool. Just out of curiosity what are your goals in showing at Namm? From what I understand up until now you've mainly sold direct.
Great question!

My goal is to expose the brand to more people and explore the potential to have a couple of retailers pick up my line.

My 32" scale conversion necks have been my biggest seller and are priced to sell at retail.

Saturday is open to the public, so the potential for direct sales is there as well.

Also, I have about 15 friends showing up, so it's a bit of a vacation/get together.

The plan is to have fun!
Owner, Lowe Custom Guitars

User avatar
marqueemoon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 3093
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:37 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Lowe Shop Notes

Post by marqueemoon » Fri May 03, 2019 5:18 am

BeeTL wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 4:17 am
marqueemoon wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 9:19 pm
Cool. Just out of curiosity what are your goals in showing at Namm? From what I understand up until now you've mainly sold direct.
Great question!

My goal is to expose the brand to more people and explore the potential to have a couple of retailers pick up my line.

My 32" scale conversion necks have been my biggest seller and are priced to sell at retail.

Saturday is open to the public, so the potential for direct sales is there as well.

Also, I have about 15 friends showing up, so it's a bit of a vacation/get together.

The plan is to have fun!
I hope it’s successful for you, especially in the fun area.

User avatar
BeeTL
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 518
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Lowe Shop Notes

Post by BeeTL » Fri May 03, 2019 8:26 am

marqueemoon wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 5:18 am
I hope it’s successful for you, especially in the fun area.
Me, too! 8)
Owner, Lowe Custom Guitars

User avatar
BeeTL
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 518
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Lowe Shop Notes

Post by BeeTL » Sat May 04, 2019 12:21 pm

My top selling item is the 32" scale conversion neck.

It converts an American spec 34” long scale bass to 32” medium scale without modification.

I love getting photos of these necks after they have been installed.

Here are two basses by Todd M:

Image
Owner, Lowe Custom Guitars

User avatar
BeeTL
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 518
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Lowe Shop Notes

Post by BeeTL » Sat May 04, 2019 5:24 pm

I will have quite a few basses on display at Summer NAMM.

These four bodies will feature Rubio Monocoat finishes and 32" scale conversion necks:

Image
Owner, Lowe Custom Guitars

User avatar
BeeTL
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 518
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Lowe Shop Notes

Post by BeeTL » Sat May 04, 2019 7:04 pm

I'm loving this Rubio Monocoat finish.

I'd guess I used less than 20ml of material to finish this body.

One and done...amazing.

Image
Owner, Lowe Custom Guitars

User avatar
BeeTL
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 518
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Lowe Shop Notes

Post by BeeTL » Sun May 05, 2019 1:20 pm

Here's the Charcoal body after curing about 12 hours:

Image

The next color up is Peacock Green.

I mixed three teaspoons of finish with one teaspoon of Part B accelerator and used an artist's bristle brush to apply the oil in the cavities.

For cleanup I used no more than 2 cut up paper towels and one ounce of mineral spirits.

Not bad.

Image
Owner, Lowe Custom Guitars

User avatar
nnieman
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:47 am

Re: Lowe Shop Notes

Post by nnieman » Mon May 06, 2019 12:39 pm

BeeTL wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 1:20 pm
Here's the Charcoal body after curing about 12 hours:

Image

The next color up is Peacock Green.

I mixed three teaspoons of finish with one teaspoon of Part B accelerator and used an artist's bristle brush to apply the oil in the cavities.

For cleanup I used no more than 2 cut up paper towels and one ounce of mineral spirits.

Not bad.

Image
Wow I absolutely love how that looks!

I cant wait to see how it looks with clear over it.
What do you use for clear coat?
Water based?

Nathan

User avatar
BeeTL
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 518
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Lowe Shop Notes

Post by BeeTL » Mon May 06, 2019 6:22 pm

There will be no top coat, but I will add some Universal Maintenance Oil for a little sheen.

Rubio Monocoat is a "one and done" finish.
Owner, Lowe Custom Guitars

Post Reply