Anyone have firebird/mini-hums in their Jaguar?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Tweedledee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Anyone have firebird/mini-hums in their Jaguar?

Post by Tweedledee » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:50 am

I found a photo of my charcoal gray Jag back when it had Antiquity Firebird pickups in it. I think it's a great setup in a Jaguar. The neck pickup actually sounds more-or-less like a regular vintage-style Jag neck pickup but with a little additional midrange punch (and zero hum, of course ;D ). The bridge pickup has it's own thing going on.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:08 am

Oh my goodness. Both of these jags that you just posted are absolutely gorgeous.

In addition to working well tonally, the extra chrome of the FBs just works on a jag, without taking up too much space visually. I find PAFs a little crowded looking with the short scale (even though I have two jags with humbuckers).

Of course, both of your jags have matching headstock and 60's custom colours, which also make any offset look ten times hotter, too.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

beauzooka
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by beauzooka » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:55 am

The CFM Jag is too hot!

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:26 am

I am very much considering that maybe Firebird pickups might be the strongest choice here.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

shmuckhed
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by shmuckhed » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:36 am

Got some in a Strat that I need to complete...

garyfanclub
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by garyfanclub » Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:33 pm

Tweedledee wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:50 am
I found a photo of my charcoal gray Jag back when it had Antiquity Firebird pickups in it. I think it's a great setup in a Jaguar. The neck pickup actually sounds more-or-less like a regular vintage-style Jag neck pickup but with a little additional midrange punch (and zero hum, of course ;D ). The bridge pickup has it's own thing going on.

This is the dream, but in JM format for the 25.5 feel.

Beautiful guitar!!

nnieman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nnieman » Fri May 01, 2020 4:53 am

garyfanclub wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:33 pm
Tweedledee wrote:

Beautiful guitar!!
https://www.instagram.com/p/B_D43Aij8gz/?hl=en

Not exactly a traditional jazzmaster but it sounds fantastic!

I love the look of that charcoal jag!!

Nathan

JamesSGBrown
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JamesSGBrown » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:22 am

Bumping this cos I'n going for a partscaster build.

How would a Firebird sound in the bridge with a regular Jag pup in the neck? I want something spanky but beefy. Like a tele on steriods but not 'high' output- just plenty of clarity without sacrificing body.

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Singlebladepickup » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:17 pm

JamesSGBrown wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:22 am

How would a Firebird sound in the bridge with a regular Jag pup in the neck? I want something spanky but beefy. Like a tele on steriods but not 'high' output- just plenty of clarity without sacrificing body.
Dooooooo iiiiiiiit

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:27 pm

JamesSGBrown wrote:

Plenty of people mix HBs in the bridge with singles in the neck and enjoy that.

Firebird pickups don't sacrifice high end or clarity, but FYI, they're actually pretty darn high output. Not in the "overwound humbucker" sense, but just in terms of the sheer voltage they put out. They have two alnico magnets right under the strings, and a baseplate that forms a magnetic circuit with them that directs the field in an even more focused manner toward the strings.

Case in point, my firebirds are WAY higher output than my filtertrons, which are similar in the sense that they're also vintage-wound, sparkly humbuckers with a smaller footprint than a PAF.

The firebirds don't mess around.

CROSS_guitars
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by CROSS_guitars » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:45 pm

nnieman wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 4:53 am
garyfanclub wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:33 pm
Tweedledee wrote:

Beautiful guitar!!
https://www.instagram.com/p/B_D43Aij8gz/?hl=en

Not exactly a traditional jazzmaster but it sounds fantastic!

I love the look of that charcoal jag!!

Nathan
Damn! That's perfect

JamesSGBrown
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JamesSGBrown » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:23 am

mbene085 wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:27 pm
JamesSGBrown wrote:

Plenty of people mix HBs in the bridge with singles in the neck and enjoy that.

Firebird pickups don't sacrifice high end or clarity, but FYI, they're actually pretty darn high output. Not in the "overwound humbucker" sense, but just in terms of the sheer voltage they put out. They have two alnico magnets right under the strings, and a baseplate that forms a magnetic circuit with them that directs the field in an even more focused manner toward the strings.

Case in point, my firebirds are WAY higher output than my filtertrons, which are similar in the sense that they're also vintage-wound, sparkly humbuckers with a smaller footprint than a PAF.

The firebirds don't mess around.
Are they significantly louder than, say, a 7.5k single coil equivalent?
I love my Marr, but want something that sounds somewhere between my p90-equipped LP and my Esquire in sound. Snap, but beef. Not as raunchy as a p90, but less zing than a Tele. I was thinkin slightly overwound alnico 4 jag pups or the FB/Jag combo mentioned.

Too many damn options!

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:08 am

JamesSGBrown wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:23 am

I love my Marr, but want something that sounds somewhere between my p90-equipped LP and my Esquire in sound. Snap, but beef. Not as raunchy as a p90, but less zing than a Tele. I was thinkin slightly overwound alnico 4 jag pups or the FB/Jag combo mentioned.

Too many damn options!
Yes, a ~7k firebird pickup is very significantly louder than a 7k single coil, particularly because a neck single coil can't be as close to the strings as a bridge FB can, and doubling the distance from pickup to string drops output by ~60%. The FB is also just inherently loud because of how efficient its magnetic circuit is.

You can obviously back the FB away from the strings to even it out, but I love the in-your-face tone they get cranked up near the strings. Even though they have strong magnets directly at the top of the pickup, I find neck FBs don't produce nearly as much "wolf tone" or "stratitis", probably because they have two points of attraction and not a single node. The bridge FB, of course, can be set so close to strings that it's almost touching without doing that, because of the nature of its position.

Honestly, why not go with two firebird pickups? It'll be totally noiseless and still fit exactly what you're describing in terms of less raunchy than a P90 but more muscle than a Tele.

If I A/B my firebirds with a Jag or JM, I notice that the neck position is thicker, but honestly, it's so articulate and snappy with the tone wide open that, if I set the amp accordingly, I can 100% forget that I'm not playing a Fender pickup. In fact, betwern the neck and bridge, the neck is the one that sounds and feels more "Fender" to me. It does everything I've ever asked a Fender neck pickup to do, except hum, and the higher output would of course match the bridge.

Mine were made by Fab at D'Urbano Magnetics (aka Mr. Fabulous on his web site). He sells on Reverb and direct, and sometimes one location will have a sale the other doesn't. I paid about $100 CAD (about $75 USD) each for mine, and they're awesome. I'd love to hear a set of Lollars or Fralins some day, but they're literally double the price and I can't see that being worth it given how amazing these D'Urbanos sound.

He also makes a FB-sized pickup called the Phoenix that is a noiseless single coil-sounding design, so you could put one of those in the neck with a FB in the bridge if you're worried about the neck position sounding too thick.

JamesSGBrown
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JamesSGBrown » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:25 pm

mbene085 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:08 am
JamesSGBrown wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:23 am

Too many damn options!
Yes, a ~7k firebird pickup is very significantly louder than a 7k single coil, particularly because a neck single coil can't be as close to the strings as a bridge FB can, and doubling the distance from pickup to string drops output by ~60%. The FB is also just inherently loud because of how efficient its magnetic circuit is.

You can obviously back the FB away from the strings to even it out, but I love the in-your-face tone they get cranked up near the strings. Even though they have strong magnets directly at the top of the pickup, I find neck FBs don't produce nearly as much "wolf tone" or "stratitis", probably because they have two points of attraction and not a single node. The bridge FB, of course, can be set so close to strings that it's almost touching without doing that, because of the nature of its position.

Honestly, why not go with two firebird pickups? It'll be totally noiseless and still fit exactly what you're describing in terms of less raunchy than a P90 but more muscle than a Tele.

If I A/B my firebirds with a Jag or JM, I notice that the neck position is thicker, but honestly, it's so articulate and snappy with the tone wide open that, if I set the amp accordingly, I can 100% forget that I'm not playing a Fender pickup. In fact, betwern the neck and bridge, the neck is the one that sounds and feels more "Fender" to me. It does everything I've ever asked a Fender neck pickup to do, except hum, and the higher output would of course match the bridge.

Mine were made by Fab at D'Urbano Magnetics (aka Mr. Fabulous on his web site). He sells on Reverb and direct, and sometimes one location will have a sale the other doesn't. I paid about $100 CAD (about $75 USD) each for mine, and they're awesome. I'd love to hear a set of Lollars or Fralins some day, but they're literally double the price and I can't see that being worth it given how amazing these D'Urbanos sound.

He also makes a FB-sized pickup called the Phoenix that is a noiseless single coil-sounding design, so you could put one of those in the neck with a FB in the bridge if you're worried about the neck position sounding too thick.
You may be onto something. I have a friend who can wind me pickups so I may see if he can clone the Lollars for me, as you can buy the parts in the UK here- https://www.axesrus.co.uk/FibreBirdHBKi ... rtkits.htm

papa_hotel_delta
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by papa_hotel_delta » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:37 pm

I hate threads like this. . .just when I had thinned the herd down to 4.

I've lusted for a firebird since highschool, then when I played a few I was somewhat discouraged by the ergonomics.

I had been cooking up a plan for another Partguar and I was intending to try a set of Kinmans but the FB thing just seems so obvious and desirable.