ThePearDream's Coyote/Voyager builds (Completed Pics on Pages 7 & 10)

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
kamillebidan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jagstang Done Right Build

Post by kamillebidan » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:19 pm

Been following this build for a bit, and I'm happy to see it completed in due time. I was going to ask though, when you combine the pickups for the HB slot, is this really going to be just three pickups essentially (so the two in the HB cover are really just that, two pickups in a single cover), or are you somehow wiring the two together to make a true HB? I must apologize if that sounded stupid. I'm guessing having the former configuration makes the most sense and potential for versatility.

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:32 pm

Essentially, the controls I'm putting in the "rhythm circuit" will be functionally the same as the three switches normally seen on Jaguars (neck on/off, bridge on/off, bass cut) with the addition of the popular series wiring modification. So, I will have the option of having the bridge coils connected in series, parallel, or individually, before going to the toggle for normal N/M/B options. The last control in the "rhythm circuit" will be a bass cut knob, instead of the switch the jaguar uses.

When the bridge pickups are connected in series, it will be an actual humbucker. I'm just approaching it backwards. Instead of splitting a humbucker to get a crappy single coil sound, I'm starting with what I hope will be good single coil sounds and combining them to make a humbucker. This likely (and hopefully) won't sound like a typical humbucker though. I would be surprised if it didn't sound vaguely like a WRHB, since those used larger, Fender sized bobbins and magnetic poles. Also, I designed the cover to be the same width, so the length of string going through the magnetic field will be similar.

I don't have any way to record yet, but I'm planning to pick up - at the very least, an interface for my computer - so I can make some clips when this is complete.
Doug
@dpcannafax

kamillebidan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kamillebidan » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:29 am

Ah I see, I'd imagine the HB config would sound pretty close to the series option on the JM-Jag. This wiring scheme and switches actually remind me of the potential tonal options one finds in the Pawn Shop Mustang Special that was put out a couple years back. I hope you can record it! I look forward to hearing what results you get. :)

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:50 pm

This is the first two day weekend I've had in a month and a half. I still have a crap ton to do for work, but I needed more than a single day off to unwind and recharge.

I decided to open up the "rhythm circuit" a bit and make a new pickguard.

This guard did turn out better than the previous one, and I think the control layout is better this time. I tilted the controls another 10 degrees (20 total) and (to me) it's more pleasing and will probably be easier to use.

If you're wondering why I angled the controls, it was so I could have a second element influenced by the SG-3.

After doing these final tweaks on the body, the new weight is perfectly average 4 lbs. 8 oz.

I finished up the final tasks on the body and now I think I'm ready to send it off for finishing.
I have as much tru-oil on the neck as I need and am letting it cure for a few weeks before I apply a decal (which I haven't ordered yet).
I ordered my pickups last week, so they should arrive in 3-5 weeks
The only part I have left to buy is a jack, Guitarpartsresource was out of stock when I ordered most of the other parts from them. I'm thinking about getting a chrome switch tip though, instead of the black one I have now.

So, updates will slow down a bit from this point, but just be patient and It'll be done before you know it.
Doug
@dpcannafax

sirjeremy
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: ThePearDream's JSG-3/Coyote build

Post by sirjeremy » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:31 am

Ah, I see the SG3 inspiration! It's so interesting seeing the waves of inspiration Fender sent to other companies (or, I suppose, those companies took lol). I love guitars from that era. Your design is as if Fender took cues from the remix designs and redid things. Pretty cool.

bacca51
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by bacca51 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:30 pm

This is soooooo sick! I love Yamaha SGs and this is a really tasteful homage

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:10 pm

Thank you both.

I finally got the body shipped out to the folks at Guitarpaintguys.com this morning. I had a Jazzmaster body incoming from Warmoth, so I decided to wait for that to arrive so I could reuse the packaging instead of paying Fedex $10 for some cardboard that I'd never see again.

Now we just wait 4-6 weeks for some Orange Firemist Metallic goodness to arrive.

The last thing I need to buy is the decal. I can't settle on what stupid/goofy ass text I want.
Current contenders (that I don't quite like enough to use):
"Fine ham abounds"
"Hey there's a spider on your shoulder!"
"It's time to make potato salad"
"All I eats is onions"

Kids in the Hall isn't giving me any more good material, I guess I have to look elsewhere. Upright Citizens Brigade? That Mitchell & Webb Look? Seinfeld? It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia? The State? Hip-Hop lyrics? Arnold Schwarzenegger movies?

Why does it need to be stupid?
Well, why does everything have to have some deep meaning? Huh?
Doug
@dpcannafax

paulnewman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by paulnewman » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:28 am

ThePearDream wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:10 pm
Thank you both.

I finally got the body shipped out to the folks at Guitarpaintguys.com this morning. I had a Jazzmaster body incoming from Warmoth, so I decided to wait for that to arrive so I could reuse the packaging instead of paying Fedex $10 for some cardboard that I'd never see again.

Now we just wait 4-6 weeks for some Orange Firemist Metallic goodness to arrive.

The last thing I need to buy is the decal. I can't settle on what stupid/goofy ass text I want.
"Fine ham abounds"
"All I eats is onions"

Kids in the Hall isn't giving me any more good material, I guess I have to look elsewhere. Upright Citizens Brigade? That Mitchell & Webb Look? Seinfeld? It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia? The State? Hip-Hop lyrics? Arnold Schwarzenegger movies?

I love putting a stupid quote in the fine print - sort of like a little easter egg. But I don't think I can help you there - I feel like you have to find one that matches the mojo for yourself.

If it was me though, I'd probably put "Cinco Identity Generator 2.5" or "4d3d3d3 Engaged" from Celery Man. All time classic for me. Tim & Eric is a goldmine for weird, obscure one-liners.

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:27 pm

Tim & Eric is a fantastic idea. I don't know why that never occurred to me.
Doug
@dpcannafax

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:56 pm

I'll keep an eye on guitarpaintguys Facebook feed. If I spot any more shots of the coyote I'll post them up here.
Doug
@dpcannafax

paulnewman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by paulnewman » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:27 am

Don't want to be the bearer of semi-bad news but have you seen the new guitar model from Ronin? Apparently it's an offset called the Coyote...

Just heard about it in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=107273

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:37 am

ThePearDream wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:10 pm
Thank you both.

"Fine ham abounds"
"All I eats is onions"

How about "there's sadness in that chord structure" or "everybody hates the bass player"? Lots of gold in that one, "He don't know it but he's balding...spiritually." "The mother, the father, the serpent, the priest. The foreman, the woman, the widow, the beast."

Or, there are the classic "I'm crushing your head; I'm squishing your face!"
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:20 am

paulnewman wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:27 am
Don't want to be the bearer of semi-bad news but have you seen the new guitar model from Ronin? Apparently it's an offset called the Coyote...

Just heard about it in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=107273
Yeah, I saw that over the weekend. I'm not terribly concerned. This is just a one-off project, and I wasn't even aware of their existence. I'll just take this as confirmation that it's a good name.
mbene085 wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:37 am

How about "there's sadness in that chord structure" or "everybody hates the bass player"? Lots of gold in that one, "He don't know it but he's balding...spiritually." "The mother, the father, the serpent, the priest. The foreman, the woman, the widow, the beast."

Or, there are the classic "I'm crushing your head; I'm squishing your face!"
The Bass Player is actually one of my favorite skits, I'm not sure why it hadn't occurred to me. My wife and I quote that one all the time. Any one of those lines would be great. I may just have to go with the line about balding. The funny thing is, I've been thinking about the skit where Bruce says "Great, I had to pick today to go bald". I didn't want to use that though, since I have a full head of hair and didn't want to tempt fate.

You win two internet points!
Doug
@dpcannafax

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:38 am

ThePearDream wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:20 am
The Bass Player is actually one of my favorite skits, I'm not sure why it hadn't occurred to me. My wife and I quote that one all the time. Any one of those lines would be great. I may just have to go with the line about balding. The funny thing is, I've been thinking about the skit where Bruce says "Great, I had to pick today to go bald". I didn't want to use that though, since I have a full head of hair and didn't want to tempt fate.

You win two internet points!
Haha, nice. I feel like it would work even better on a bass, but ah well.

There's also the pit of ultimate darkness..."Do not avoid the puppies of purgatory!" "Dirty, dirty liar! Evil, evil white boy!"
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Musjagjazz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Musjagjazz » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:05 am

The Eradicator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFO1O020uyw

If it was Black I would call it The Raven -
Hi, it's The Raven - You sound cool