The Aria Diamond restoration: a collective and international work.

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
k o y l
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

The Aria Diamond restoration: a collective and international work.

Post by k o y l » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:50 pm

As some of you might already know, I bought an Aria Diamond on eBay a few time ago.
index.php?topic=9855.0
The guitar was described in good and playable condition and the seller told me the frets were in good condition after I asked him but what I received was a guitar in pretty bad shape: all the metal parts were covered in rust, there was a big gap between the neck heel and neck pocket but worst of all, the frets were damaged with big dents in them.
I made a claim on Paypal and we finally agree with the seller on a partial refund so I decided to keep the guitar.

Another important thing that helped me take the decision of keeping the guitar is our fellow offsetter Ben, better known under the name of theworkoffire, offered me to do the fretjob and helped me with wise advices for the other issues.
I actually wouldn't have been able (and wouldn't have wanted to either) to pay a pro guitar tech to do it.

So what will follow is a thread about an international restoration of the guitar.

Let's list the problem to fix:

1 - Gap between the neck heel and neck pocket.
Image  Image

2 - Rust on the neck plate, neck screw, tremolo bar and tremolo unit
Image  Image  Image

3 - The high E saddle screw has been replaced with a bigger and odd screw:

4 - The damaged and used frets:
Image  Image Image Image Image Image

Work done yet:

1 - Gap between the neck heel and neck pocket. Fixed
It was not a real problem actually. The screw were just unscrewed and were not changed for some longer ones.

2 - Rust on the neck plate, neck screw, tremolo bar and tremolo unit

The whole trem unit + screws are in spa since a week now: alternating between bath of Coke, showers of WD40 and ernergic friction with toothpaste.
The trem unit is pretty much clean now but it still have markes and traces; I'll try another cleaning with toothpaste and another bath in Coke if necessary.
The neckplate and trem bar  won't clean so easily: the dust is incrusted in the chrome. I think the only way is to sand it with the dremel. I'm not looking for them to be as new but i want to make them clean in the "safe for health" kind of way.

I also roughly cleaned the bridge and removed most of the rust and then included in the package with the neck which has arrived in Ben's home today.

I'll let Ben post about 3 and 4.  :)
Once you're lost in twilights's blue, you don't find your way. The way finds you...

spacecadet
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: The Aria Diamond restoration: a collective and international work.

Post by spacecadet » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:51 pm

k o y l wrote: The neckplate and trem bar  won't clean so easily: the dust is incrusted in the chrome. I think the only way is to sand it with the dremel. I'm not looking for them to be as new but i want to make them clean in the "safe for health" kind of way.
Don't they sell disinfecting wipes where you are?  If all you care about is killing germs, there's no better way to do it.

I normally do that on anything used that I buy.  I just bought a used car this week and as soon as I get it this weekend I plan to expend an entire package of those things wiping down the interior.

theworkoffire
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by theworkoffire » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:13 pm

So the neck has arrived here in London and it's got a really nice feel to it. It's tired and dented and dirty, though - very much in need of some loving care.

I removed the tuners, string tree and truss rod cover, leaving just the ferrules in place - if they were loose I'd have taken them out and glued them back in but they seem fine. No problems cleaning round them. Gave everywhere a good wipe down with lighter fluid (naphtha) to get the worst of the gunk off, then set to work on the frets. They were really heavily pressed into the fingerboard, as well as being really low and worn, so it took some serious work to wrestle them out. I heated them with a soldering iron then prized them out with modified end cutters. I have filed the end of the cutters down so the cutting edges are flush, rather than being slightly recessed. That way you can, in theory, get right in between the fret and the board and the cutters press down on the wood whilst pushing the fret out of the slot.

Anyway, got there in the end - no major damage. Once they could be persuaded to move they came out fairly easily. Look away if you dont want to see some pretty grisly nudity.

Not pretty...

Out with the sandpaper and radiused blocks. Starting with 120 to get rid of the dents in the rosewood and even things out, then up through the grits to polish. You can really see how mashed up the surface was - the shiny areas are indentations yet to be reached by the sandpaper:

I'm working on paper there to catch all the rosewood dust - you never know when you'll want to make some invisible filler.

End result - perfectly radiused to 9.5", nice and smooth with no indentations. I stopped at 400 grit then polished a bit with a slightly abrasive cloth to bring up a nice shine. I'll re-sand with higher grits and polish some more after I've run a saw through all the slots and beveled the slot edges tomorrow.

k o y l
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by k o y l » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:21 pm

Wow !  :o :o 8) 8) 8)
Did i say I love you ?  :)
Once you're lost in twilights's blue, you don't find your way. The way finds you...

Gordon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Gordon » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:17 am

Great job!  :o
Graphic designer (comics stuff, Doctor Who, Star Wars...): https://www.instagram.com/monsieurgordon/ \o/

the older brother
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by the older brother » Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:57 am

+1  on the comment above!
Someone knows where I can find the nearest woodchipper to throw my pieces of junk into?

Superfuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Superfuzz » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:52 am

.... :o
Architecture students are like virgins with an itch they cannot scratch,  never build a building 'till are fifty, what kind of life is that?

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:03 am

You really do some great work, Ben .. nice to see.

The grain on that fretboard is phenomenal ..
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

kle
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kle » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:22 am

I agree with the posts above.

Ryan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ryan » Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:21 am

mezcalhead wrote: The grain on that fretboard is phenomenal ..
+1,000,000,000

I want that neck. That's fantastic.

k o y l
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by k o y l » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:19 pm

that's a great fretboard grain indeed. Who would have though such a thing was hidden under all this dirt !

Some very little news from my side:
I cleaned the body and remove the pickguard. I was expecting to do some work in there...
... but what I found was a perfectly clean and nice wiring.

So I won't touch it.  :)
`
I originally wanted to reverse the bass cut switch (let's call it like that) in order to have it cut the bass when the switch is closer to the strings but I won't do it. the wiring is too "tight" for that. Not really a big deal...

About the bass cut switch: the capacitor used is a .20uF . this little thing is so great and simple to do that I'll probably put it in some of my other guitars: it work great with pups that have strong mids such as P90s.

I think .20uF caps are very hard if not impossible to find nowadays so I'll experiment with .18 and .22 uF caps

But try this mods guys, you'll love it.  8)

That's all !
..... very little news as I said..  ::)

theworkoffire
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by theworkoffire » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:22 pm

No news here either - I have an interview for a PhD tomorrow so I'm not doing anything guitar related...er...

k o y l
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by k o y l » Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:55 pm

What's a PhD ??

the older brother
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by the older brother » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:04 pm

Philosophy Doctor ?
Someone knows where I can find the nearest woodchipper to throw my pieces of junk into?

theworkoffire
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by theworkoffire » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:12 pm

the older brother wrote: Philosophy Doctor ?
Yup, though the subject area will be Fine Art. PhD is a catch-all term. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_of_Philosophy

The whole thing hinges on funding, really. No funding = no Dr. Work O'fire

Fingers crossed.