Rexter X Deed_Poll

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Rexter X Deed_Poll

Post by Singlebladepickup » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:57 am

X-Ray Spex wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:20 am
rexter wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:54 pm
Do you know the craziest/coolest thing about it - which u had no idea about until today - the top section of the guard has magnetised screws in it that snap on to tiny magnets inset in the body! Totally took me by surprise! Another one of Dan’s unique touches.
It’s a battery compartment rout I think
It is 100% a battery compartment route, I like active pickups but think the traditional compartment route on the rear of guitars is ugly as sin. This was a great compromise I think, plus easy access to boot!
Same thoughts on back box. Great solution!

Deed_Poll
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Deed_Poll » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:52 am

Hey Guys! That's looking great, Jon! The best BMM this side of Jupiter's moons... :w00t:

Thanks for the kind words everyone! Yeah the idea for the magnetised pickguard compartment was a collaborative effort, I can't take all the credit! ;)

Believe it or not, the hardest part about that was grinding the heads off the screws for the magnets to attach onto! I must have lost about a half dozen of them pinging across the workshop. If I clamped the heads themselves (the bit I wanted) it wouldn't hold on tight enough without misshhaping the round edge! So I ended up putting an envelope over the top of it just as the piece was going to ping away haha

It's awesome to have customers like you who want crazy stuff like that, I love giving that stuff a go and I learned tons from doing it. If it wasn't for guys like you, we'd all be making Strats and Teles I guess! All the real innovation comes from the players , it's just an honor to work on this stuff and make it a reality. Special props to J as my number one guinea pig!! :D

I hope it will look a lot better once the protective plastic film is taken off the pickguard! But yeah that BMM / black guard combo is bangin'. It was always going to be a beast!
Owner Operator of GuitarForm - Custom Offset Guitar Bodies
www.guitarform.com ◈ @guitar_form

Deed_Poll
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Deed_Poll » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:08 am

I don't suppose there's any news on the aging of Raph's Maverick yet? I can't wait to see how that comes out!

rexter
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rexter » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:36 am

Deed_Poll wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:08 am
I don't suppose there's any news on the aging of Raph's Maverick yet? I can't wait to see how that comes out!
Oh there is... brace yourself! Still needs work as I started this on Monday but was putting up the final stud wall and assembling a bandsaw today so didn't have time to continue. Felt weird making those first dings :D

The original coral colour I mixed turned a bit orangey with tinted clear and as i hoped, with the wear and removal of said tint, that cool colour is showing through again. This one also started checking within about 10 mins of putting it in the freezer. More blending and bits to do after getting some feedback from Raph. Awaiting more instructions re the back which needs work.

Excuse the chaos in the work area, still unpacking and figuring everything out!

And ok, totally wrong pickguard etc, but somehow this give it a little context.

Deed_Poll
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Deed_Poll » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:49 pm

Wicked! That checking looks awesome. I must remember to send him the rusted mild steel XII control plate I made for it... ;)

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:31 pm

Deed_Poll wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:52 am
Believe it or not, the hardest part about that was grinding the heads off the screws for the magnets to attach onto! I must have lost about a half dozen of them pinging across the workshop. If I clamped the heads themselves (the bit I wanted) it wouldn't hold on tight enough without misshhaping the round edge! So I ended up putting an envelope over the top of it just as the piece was going to ping away haha
What about using something like this? You could thread the screw/bolt into it, clamp the coupling down in a vice, and then grind away. That way, the threads would be protected, but you could still clamp it tightly.

Deed_Poll wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:52 am
It's awesome to have customers like you who want crazy stuff like that, I love giving that stuff a go and I learned tons from doing it. If it wasn't for guys like you, we'd all be making Strats and Teles I guess! All the real innovation comes from the players , it's just an honor to work on this stuff and make it a reality. Special props to J as my number one guinea pig!! :D
Dan, if being able play and build projects with your guitar bodies, I'll always be your guinea pig :D 8)
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Deed_Poll
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Deed_Poll » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:57 am

That's actually exactly what I ended up doing with the screws - except the bit I wanted to keep was the head (to glue it into the countersinks on the pickguard material / battery box cover and for the magnets to attach onto), so I had to put an envelope on top when it was getting close and catch it inside! :D

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:49 pm

Oh! I saw that backwards in my head. Haha.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

YALCaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by YALCaster » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:24 am

Do you make Maverick bodies with the normal pickup routing and mustang tremolo routing?

N0_Camping4U
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by N0_Camping4U » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:50 am

Yeah what's up on these maverick bodies... Or type 1 marauders.... :shifty:
"I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner, now I am the master."

Deed_Poll
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Deed_Poll » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:32 pm

YALCaster wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:24 am
Do you make Maverick bodies with the normal pickup routing and mustang tremolo routing?
I can do one with a Floyd Rose and WRHBs if you want it ;)

Yes I have it all on file ready to cut! Just let me know your flavour. I can't promise it will be 100% identical to the original, but I make mine with standard Strat or Tele neck pockets, not the wider XII neck heel so a perfect replica would be prohibitively expensive in any case.

My vectors are, as always, based on several photographs of originals adjusted for perspective and averaged out, with the cavities etc. taken from existing library templates.
N0_Camping4U wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:50 am
Yeah what's up on these maverick bodies... Or type 1 marauders.... :shifty:
Gene Fields Marauders are basically ready... More to come on those! The plates are all basically done save for polishing out a couple of annoying scratches that came from countersinking burrs, and fabricating an offset angled mount for the roller pots. I bought enough NOS rocker switches to make nine sets (including a spare with every set), and have since found a reliable source to buy more should they prove to be popular.

Mine is designed to fit the American Mustang bridge / trem unit. It might also for the Japanese, but I haven't tried it yet. I'll take some progress pics in the week...

N0_Camping4U
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by N0_Camping4U » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:12 am

Is there a source for type 1 marauder bodies? And pickups?
"I've been waiting for you, Obi-Wan. We meet again, at last. The circle is now complete. When I left you, I was but the learner, now I am the master."

Deed_Poll
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Deed_Poll » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:50 am

Is the Type 1 the one with the Bass VI control plate, Strat trem and hidden pickups? If so, I can probably take that on if I get a hold of a control plate just so long as the body perimeter is the same as the Gene Fields Marauder.

I'd recommend Ken Calvet at Roadhouse Pickups, he's done stealth / hidden pickups for me before and I think he made the pickups on Paul Rhoney's Strat shaped Marauder 1 type guitar as well.

rexter
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by rexter » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:54 pm

Sorry, this thread went a little necro, been really busy and not on the forum much of late but pleased to say finally made a small bit of progress with some of the other bodies from Dan.

Despite literally every attempt to ruin the paint on the Deluxemaster it's looking ok - I went back at one point to touch up the black band on the burst where it was not opaque enough which caused me some problems.

Here it is now, needs some more clear coats after I speak to Dan about it :whistle:

And I finally repaired the binding on my own Deluxemaster Thinline, which I also grabbed some nice handwound widerange humbuckers for.

I've found the heat treaded poplar to be a very thirsty wood to finish so I'm going to seal the back of this one with rubbed on shellac (basically french polish or button polish) first to see if this is any better than sanding sealer and lacquer at creating a barrier coat.

I was all set for a sparkle/flake top on this one, but now I'm thinking black could be really nice ... who knows will see what transpires.

I also have another thinline body from Dan that I will try to get sealed and into the booth this week.

X-Ray Spex
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by X-Ray Spex » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:11 am

My BMM Jazzmaster build from earlier in the thread got finished a month or two back, major props to both Rexter and Deed_Poll for their work on this! The NGD thread for anyone interested http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... 6&t=110415
''It's not what you play, it's what you play'' - Troy Van Leeuwen