What do you think about the Fender TBX pot?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Ceylon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

What do you think about the Fender TBX pot?

Post by Ceylon » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:54 am

I've been meaning to try a G&L PTB-style mod on my Jaguar for a while now, and while people sing its praise it's a bit finicky to fit one into a Jag. You can get the 1M reverse pots easier than you'd think from Mouser or Mammoth or so, but if you want those to take the place of the rhythm circuit you have to ream out the roller knobs and the list goes on.

The Fender TBX seems like it does BASICALLY the same thing (although it'll only cut bass or treble at any given time, never both simultaneously) and that'd in theory leave the rhythm circuit-cavity open for, say, two mini-switches Johnny Marr-style that could hold some other wiring mods.

But is the TBX any good? Do people like them? Have you tried and/or liked them?
Science Friction burns my fingers
Electricity still lingers

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: What do you think about the Fender TBX pot?

Post by Embenny » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:53 am

I've tried a TBX and it pales in comparison to a PTB circuit.

If you want to save knob space, just buy a concentric pot and wire it as a PTB - you can do treble on top and bass on the bottom or the other way around, and maintain independent control of them.

You don't actually need a reverse taper 1meg pot for the bass control. A regular taper 500k can be used just as easily, and stacked 500k pots abound.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Horsefeather
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Horsefeather » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:03 pm

I was going to attempt the stacked pots with concentric knobs in an approximation of the PTB circuit on my Strat that has MFDs in it but lost enthusiasm when I learned about the reverse log bass pot. The stacked ones I got don't include that type.

I would expect a regular taper pot to affect the feel of the bass cut in a big way and give it that on/off quality that you don't want. But maybe I'm wrong about that?

At any rate, here's the knob I was going to use. It's off a Jazz bass.

And for what it's worth, I do have the PTB circuit in a different Strat and I would say it's worth going to the effort to install it. It really makes anything else seem lame. I haven't used a TBX but it seems like only a half baked iteration of the idea Leo perfected at G&L.

Rgand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Rgand » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:24 am

I've used this diagram (by Joe Gore) for wiring both bass and treble bleed pots. This diagram could easily be used on stacked pots.

I used a .033 cap for the treble bleed and a .0015 cap for the bass bleed. It works great.