ThePearDream's Project Thread

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
javier-san
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: ThePearDream's Project Thread

Post by javier-san » Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:04 am

beautiful

Daitong II
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Daitong II » Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:21 am

Wow, that is a looker.

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:55 pm

Okay then. I found a bathroom scale in a tv stand ???. If it can be trusted, my 7-1/2 lb. guess was spot on.
Doug
@dpcannafax

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:06 pm

That is wonderful! I love brilliant blues on guitars. Also, I realize that I need something sparkly some day.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:02 am

Well, I find myself in the unfortunate position of not having any active projects to work on :( . I'm in between houses and pretty much all of my guitar tools are locked away. Unless a good deal on something from my buy list shows up locally, I don't expect to purchase any gear until I have a space to keep my stuff again.

I can plan though. I have some holes in my collection that I'd like to address over the next few years. This should give you an idea of what to expect, when I get back to having projects again.

First, colors. I'm still working on having my perfect guitar color wheel/rainbow.
- With the addition of the Blue sparkle Jag, Indigo Metallic Artemis, and the metallic Purple Yamaha SG2 copy, that section is covered.
- I have a few Red guitars already and red is easy to find too.
- I have the Orange Squier Mustang, which is a perfect orange, but I'd like something higher quality in that spot.
- My Yellow Artemis is perfect.
- Then there's Green. I have a bunch of green guitars, but none of them are that proper green, grassy, Irish flag, green color.
- I'd also love to bring back examples of BMM and OTM, to my collection. Those are big favorite Fender colors for me, that I have had before and miss. I also don't have a proper silver guitar right now. I don't have a brown either.

Then for models.
- I want a proper Mustang again, possibly vintage 70s, some kind of rescue job maybe.
- I want a better Bass VI. I enjoy my Squier enough to know that I like a VI, but the Squier just doesn't have the workmanship and attention to detail that I want. The edges of the body and neck contours are straight off the CNC, with no real handwork to blend things together. I guess that I've been spoiled by my own hand carved necks :D. I'm thinking that I'll buy Bass VI templates from Faction and build out my own VI. I already have the VI neck template, that I got in a different set of Faction templates, so just need the body stuff (and a workshop). Since I like the look, I'm thinking of doing the neck as D+B. This would be a great candidate for my OTM or BMM maybe.
- I'd like a Marauder from GuitarForm, I need to ponder that one more and figure out which pickups and vibrato to use.
- I'd like to put together a 54-ish Strat build, in the vein of my Jazzmaster and Jaguar build. i.e. US made body, custom neck to my specs, around some A3 Strat pickups. I am strat-less for the first time since I picked up guitar and want to have just one around. I had cleared out my two Strats earlier this year, with the thought of upgrading to a custom build. I have my Orion 2 build, which is my take on an early 60s strat, to fill one slot. Those A3 strat pickups are one of my favorite tones though, so I know I'll want some of those again. Strat bodies are a lot easier to come by than Jags though, so I'll probably keep an eye out for an already finished body from MJT, Warmoth, Guitar Mill, or similar.

I also have some pickups that I want to add to my collection
- Filtertrons - don't have any of these yet! I have some general ideas for some Gretsch inspired Apollo builds. Bound flake tops and back-painted acrylic pickguards, SparkleJet style. But others with beveled tops, Corvette/Princess style.
- Firebirds - I have some PAF sized FB, but not anything with proper FB pickups.
- Gemini Suprocaster and a bunch of other Gemini pickups models. He's doing some really cool stuff.
- Ric style pickups. I've never cared for the look of Rickenbacker's (other than the 620/660 models), but would like some Ric style pickups.
- Tri-Sonics
- Peavey T Series, Super Ferrite pickups - I'd love to find a spare set of T-60s and work them into an Artemis build, adapting some of the original wiring scheme, but in a lighter weight, with that offset vibrato.
- XII pickups, don't have any of these either. I do also have a Maverick/Custom template I put together. I could build one of those, minus the 3X3 XII neck.

Of course, I'm not sure yet how all of this will come together, but just writing it out seems to have helped bring me some clarity. Meanwhile, if you spot any awesome pure green (not surf green, seafoam green, olive green, sherwood green, lime green, neon green, etc.) guitars out there, let me know.
Doug
@dpcannafax

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:31 am

ThePearDream wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:02 am
Well, I find myself in the unfortunate position of not having any active projects to work on :( . I'm in between houses and pretty much all of my guitar tools are locked away. Unless a good deal on something from my buy list shows up locally, I don't expect to purchase any gear until I have a space to keep my stuff again.

I can plan though. I have some holes in my collection that I'd like to address over the next few years. This should give you an idea of what to expect, when I get back to having projects again.

First, colors. I'm still working on having my perfect guitar color wheel/rainbow.
- With the addition of the Blue sparkle Jag, Indigo Metallic Artemis, and the metallic Purple Yamaha SG2 copy, that section is covered.
- I have a few Red guitars already and red is easy to find too.
- I have the Orange Squier Mustang, which is a perfect orange, but I'd like something higher quality in that spot.
- My Yellow Artemis is perfect.
- Then there's Green. I have a bunch of green guitars, but none of them are that proper green, grassy, Irish flag, green color.
- I'd also love to bring back examples of BMM and OTM, to my collection. Those are big favorite Fender colors for me, that I have had before and miss. I also don't have a proper silver guitar right now. I don't have a brown either.

Then for models.
- I want a proper Mustang again, possibly vintage 70s, some kind of rescue job maybe.
- I want a better Bass VI. I enjoy my Squier enough to know that I like a VI, but the Squier just doesn't have the workmanship and attention to detail that I want. The edges of the body and neck contours are straight off the CNC, with no real handwork to blend things together. I guess that I've been spoiled by my own hand carved necks :D. I'm thinking that I'll buy Bass VI templates from Faction and build out my own VI. I already have the VI neck template, that I got in a different set of Faction templates, so just need the body stuff (and a workshop). Since I like the look, I'm thinking of doing the neck as D+B. This would be a great candidate for my OTM or BMM maybe.
- I'd like a Marauder from GuitarForm, I need to ponder that one more and figure out which pickups and vibrato to use.
- I'd like to put together a 54-ish Strat build, in the vein of my Jazzmaster and Jaguar build. i.e. US made body, custom neck to my specs, around some A3 Strat pickups. I am strat-less for the first time since I picked up guitar and want to have just one around. I had cleared out my two Strats earlier this year, with the thought of upgrading to a custom build. I have my Orion 2 build, which is my take on an early 60s strat, to fill one slot. Those A3 strat pickups are one of my favorite tones though, so I know I'll want some of those again. Strat bodies are a lot easier to come by than Jags though, so I'll probably keep an eye out for an already finished body from MJT, Warmoth, Guitar Mill, or similar.

I also have some pickups that I want to add to my collection
- Filtertrons - don't have any of these yet! I have some general ideas for some Gretsch inspired Apollo builds. Bound flake tops and back-painted acrylic pickguards, SparkleJet style. But others with beveled tops, Corvette/Princess style.
- Firebirds - I have some PAF sized FB, but not anything with proper FB pickups.
- Gemini Suprocaster and a bunch of other Gemini pickups models. He's doing some really cool stuff.
- Ric style pickups. I've never cared for the look of Rickenbacker's (other than the 620/660 models), but would like some Ric style pickups.
- Tri-Sonics
- Peavey T Series, Super Ferrite pickups - I'd love to find a spare set of T-60s and work them into an Artemis build, adapting some of the original wiring scheme, but in a lighter weight, with that offset vibrato.
- XII pickups, don't have any of these either. I do also have a Maverick/Custom template I put together. I could build one of those, minus the 3X3 XII neck.

Of course, I'm not sure yet how all of this will come together, but just writing it out seems to have helped bring me some clarity. Meanwhile, if you spot any awesome pure green (not surf green, seafoam green, olive green, sherwood green, lime green, neon green, etc.) guitars out there, let me know.
This reminds me of a conversation I had with my wife last week, which spurred that Instagram post that I tagged you in because she was like "OK, now that you have an orange guitar with the Mustang, what other colors do you need?" to which I responded with "Uh... That's my third orange guitar... uh... so far...". :D

I believe npfrs has a pink Jag with Firebirds in it.
npfrs wrote:

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:54 am

GilmourD wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:31 am

This reminds me of a conversation I had with my wife last week, which spurred that Instagram post that I tagged you in because she was like "OK, now that you have an orange guitar with the Mustang, what other colors do you need?" to which I responded with "Uh... That's my third orange guitar... uh... so far...". :D
Three seems, like a perfectly reasonable number of orange guitars to have ;D . If anything, you might need something light orange, like that CME Pacific Peach color.

re. Burgundy Mist Metallic. I have a Lavender Metallic guitar and an Ice Blue Metallic, so surely I need to have a BMM to fit in-between them?
Doug
@dpcannafax

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:34 pm

ThePearDream wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:54 am
re. Burgundy Mist Metallic. I have a Lavender Metallic guitar and an Ice Blue Metallic, so surely I need to have a BMM to fit in-between them?
That logic works for me!

npfrs
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by npfrs » Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:13 am

GilmourD wrote:
npfrs wrote:
It's black but quite stickered-up, haha:

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:19 am

npfrs wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:13 am
GilmourD wrote:
npfrs wrote:

Oh, good! If I get a Shell Pink body and drop some 'Birds in it then I'm not copying you. :D

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:05 pm

GilmourD wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:19 am
npfrs wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:13 am
GilmourD wrote:

Oh, good! If I get a Shell Pink body and drop some 'Birds in it then I'm not copying you. :D
It would look great, but you're probably thinking of GreenKnee's Jag with FB sized foils.
GreenKnee wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:57 am
Except for the hardtail ( :-/ ), I like the black Jag a lot. Something like that has been in my head for years as a possibility. I think using the upper rollers as variable coil splits would be cool with Firebirds. I do have a 24" roasted Maple/Ebony neck already made...

Also, your super-Strat reminded me that I wanted to add some kind of shredder guitar. I really liked the Super2 I had in the Swinger and want something with a Super2/SuperD combo and a Floyd (so I can learn how to work on one). I was looking at Charvel and Ibanez on reverb the other day.
Doug
@dpcannafax

GreenKnee
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GreenKnee » Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:58 am

ThePearDream wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:05 pm
Hell yeeeeaaaa that was a lil Photoshop number I made up before committing to the middle pickup :) here's it in all its finished glory:

It's still my number 1, love it to bits.

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:52 am

ThePearDream wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2023 2:05 pm
It would look great, but you're probably thinking of GreenKnee's Jag with FB sized foils.
GreenKnee wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:57 am
Except for the hardtail ( :-/ ), I like the black Jag a lot. Something like that has been in my head for years as a possibility. I think using the upper rollers as variable coil splits would be cool with Firebirds. I do have a 24" roasted Maple/Ebony neck already made...

Also, your super-Strat reminded me that I wanted to add some kind of shredder guitar. I really liked the Super2 I had in the Swinger and want something with a Super2/SuperD combo and a Floyd (so I can learn how to work on one). I was looking at Charvel and Ibanez on reverb the other day.
Yup, my memory is so shot. LOL

I've got a Duncan '59/Custom Hybrid in the bridge with DiMarzio Area '67s in the middle and neck. They work REALLY WELL together and the bridge pickup isn't overly dark or super high-output but super chewy sounding. I keep that guitar tuned down half a step with 9-42 strings on it, so it's sliiiiiiiiiinky. LOL

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:57 am

I found a great option for a new orange guitar. Vintage Norma EG-470 in Orange Sparkle. There's a few under $500 right now. I'm not buying one right now, but they seem to be easy enough to find.

Also considering a Capri Orange Player JM with DiMarzio Super2/SuperD pair. Either with a white pearl or tortoise pickguard.
Doug
@dpcannafax

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:51 am

Finally got to take a picture of my Jazzmaster and Jaguar together.

I'm still wanting to put together a proper Mustang to complete my Fender offset trio, but stuck on what color it should be. I still don't care about vintage accuracy, and prefer metallic colors. Ocean Turquoise? Firemist Silver? Or some non-Fender 70s muscle car colors? Lime? Metallic brown?

On the Strat side, I'm now leaning towards a 68/69 style, with a maple fretboard (instead of a 54 style), but again, I'm stuck on what color I want. I've been keeping an eye on MJT listings, for something that catches my eye. I should probably go ahead and get a neck ordered, since that can take awhile.
Doug
@dpcannafax