ThePearDream's Project Thread

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: ThePearDream's Project Thread

Post by ThePearDream » Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:28 am

theremintheme wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:10 am
ThePearDream wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:57 am
This one is coming together finally. I'm working on the nut and it needs strap pins and a knob still. Starting with a really dense piece of Ash, it's the heaviest one in this shape so far (by a good margin), and it's still well under 8lbs. 8) This will be a great shape for using some heavier woods then. Walnut or un-figured Maple, would look awesome!

Stunning! What are (as detailed as you like, but brief is fine) the steps and products you use to get that breathtaking finish?
That was a pretty simple finish process.

After sanding, and raising the grain, and sanding back again, I brushed the body with a nylon brush to get debris out of the grain, then blew it down with compressed air.

I sprayed two coats of color, directly onto the wood. In my case it was from an aerosol can of Kiwi Green Molotow Belton, which is a graffiti paint, with a nitro formula.

I let that cure, until the next day that it was nice enough to spray. Then I gave it with a few good coats of satin Lacquer. In my case, I used Deft.

Then I let it cure until I was ready to assemble it. No buffing needed.

There is still some openness to the grain, so you'll have to be okay with that. I could have sprayed a few more clear coats, but I want to see how it holds up to banging around and general play, with a very minimal finish.

I used the same finish process on my Artemis 003 build, just with a bright yellow.

Doug
@dpcannafax

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:39 am

ThePearDream wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:48 am
I have my Jaguar parts back from copaceticcustoms. You better believe I'm excited about this one.

This color is going to be impossible to ever capture though, it's warmer and more tropical feeling than in the picture.
I was walking past this beauty and realized that it is reaaallly close to the Dupli-Color Bahama Blue that I used, to get a close headstock match, on this Fernandes project, from much earlier in this thread. It has a super slight greenish lean, like the old body paint though. The color is right in that same zone as an aged LPB, which is what I wanted.

I have three different Jaguar pickguards, and the one that fits best, is too aged looking for my tastes. I'll need to get at least one more pickguard, ideally one with the truss rod access bevel.
Doug
@dpcannafax

epizootics
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by epizootics » Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:38 pm

ThePearDream wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:28 am
I used the same finish process on my Artemis 003 build, just with a bright yellow.

Could this be Molotow's Quince Yella?

My main player has the very same finish - open pore ash with a couple of coats. I used Molotow's matt clear on top of it. Dunno if you tried their clear coats too but they work really well.

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:14 am

epizootics wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:38 pm
ThePearDream wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:28 am

Could this be Molotow's Quince Yella?

My main player has the very same finish - open pore ash with a couple of coats. I used Molotow's matt clear on top of it. Dunno if you tried their clear coats too but they work really well.

It's Cadmium Yellow actually. I wanted the strongest, brightest, most primary yellow they had. I've used their clear before, but haven't gotten as nice of results. I also had a store about a mile away that sold Deft, which made it an easy option for me.
Doug
@dpcannafax

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:45 am

Coming along on this. It takes a lot of clear coats to bury this flake. I had to do a bit of cleanup to the neck pocket, to get the neck fit, and removing lumpy bits from the electronics cavities so I can apply shielding tape neatly. I'm missing a few random parts, since I took them for other projects, and a few basic items, like nut blanks or pickup foam that I don't have with me right now. I think I have everything on the way now though.

Doug
@dpcannafax

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:55 am

Body has been shielded. I had pre-wired the rhythm circuit and switch plates a few months back, so most of the wiring is done already, with shielded wire for good measure. I just need to remember what I was doing.

I'm pretty sure I was wiring it: pickups > diamond plate (with series option and strangle) > rhythm/lead control switch > selected tone circuit > jack. I may or may not get around to doing that this weekend.

On the other end, I had specced the neck with 10mm tuner holes, to accommodate a set of Kluson Revolution, just like I used on my Jazzmaster. Apparently those only come staggered now. That, along with the thickness of the flake finish, has me concerned that there isn't enough string post sticking out. I've ordered a set of regular Gotoh SD91 and some conversion bushings. When I have access to my Jazzmaster again, I may install the staggered ones on there, freeing up the non-staggered for this Jaguar. I might need to grab a few small items from the hardware store, to get the bushings installed. We'll see.

Besides the replacement tuners, I'm waiting on an AVRI vibrato and some white pickup covers. I also need to find a special strap for it.
Doug
@dpcannafax

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:13 pm

Wiring complete and tested. Now, to make any adjustments to the pickguard, get the plates and guard screwed down, and install the vibrato. I ended up with a Fender Marr pickguard, and it seems to fit really well, so it shouldn't need much. The new tuners are ready to pickup at the post office. Almost there now.

I'm not doing a mute, if anybody was wondering. The body and guard are drilled for it, but can't see using it. Are there any reasons to consider one?
Doug
@dpcannafax

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:38 pm

ThePearDream wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:13 pm
Wiring complete and tested. Now, to make any adjustments to the pickguard, get the plates and guard screwed down, and install the vibrato. I ended up with a Fender Marr pickguard, and it seems to fit really well, so it shouldn't need much. The new tuners are ready to pickup at the post office. Almost there now.

I'm not doing a mute, if anybody was wondering. The body and guard are drilled for it, but can't see using it. Are there any reasons to consider one?
I keep seeing listings for the Marrguar pickguard as a separate thing from other Jag pickguards... Is there anything actually different or is it just a really white '65RI pickguard?

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:45 pm

GilmourD wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:38 pm
ThePearDream wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:13 pm

I keep seeing listings for the Marrguar pickguard as a separate thing from other Jag pickguards... Is there anything actually different or is it just a really white '65RI pickguard?
I think it's just a really white 65 guard, which made it perfect for me.
Doug
@dpcannafax

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:57 am

Almost there. I just need to fit a nut blank to the slot and bolt the neck on.

Doug
@dpcannafax

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:00 am

ThePearDream wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:57 am
Almost there. I just need to fit a nut blank to the slot and bolt the neck on.

javier-san
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by javier-san » Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:26 am

wooooooowwww

IceBlueBoogaloo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by IceBlueBoogaloo » Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:07 am

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:19 am

Oh yeah!! Love this!!
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by ThePearDream » Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:11 am

All together now and strung up with a set of 11-54 Beefy Slinkys, and a one degree shim to start. Needs a setup and the fretboard needs a good oiling. I thought I had some oil with me, but apparently not. There's not a scale in this rental, so I'll have to wait a bit longer to find out the weight. It feels very lightweight though. I'm going to guess that it's around 7-1/2 lbs.

I used a DecoBoom neck plate that I've had for years, but never used. I kept finding it in some weird spot, and then immediately forgetting about it. The last time it reappeared, I tossed it in the box of Jaguar parts.

Doug
@dpcannafax