JAG-STANG Prototype - Reverse Engineering

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: JAG-STANG Prototype - Reverse Engineering

Post by Fiddy » Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:09 pm

letterstoboddah wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:40 am
im sorry my english is not so good my mother is spanish speaking and i was taught this way ¿
Not sure i buy that mr post padder. The question mark is the same both in English and Spanish. And if you speak/read/write Spanish, then you would know the upside down one you're using is for the beginning of a question when written en español.

AcrylicSuperman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AcrylicSuperman » Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:41 pm

Fiddy wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:09 pm
letterstoboddah wrote:
im sorry my english is not so good my mother is spanish speaking and i was taught this way ¿
Not sure i buy that mr post padder. The question mark is the same both in English and Spanish. And if you speak/read/write Spanish, then you would know the upside down one you're using is for the beginning of a question when written en español.
Whether their English is good or not is of no consequence. If we can understand it or translate it, then that's all that matters. Let's not start a war with anyone over grammar. We're all here for the love of the JS. Let's keep it that way.

-AS

Fiddy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Fiddy » Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:43 pm

Word.

My initial response was more of a silly joke.

My second was more like, now im curious...

But, I agree. Lets carry in with the js talk.

letterstoboddah
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by letterstoboddah » Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:30 am

Fiddy wrote:
letterstoboddah wrote:
i am not very good at typing. i am sorry. somebody already said i was posting too fast and now i am in trouble for my bad typing

maybe this place is not for me. i am sorry for causing trouble

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by GilmourD » Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:27 am

letterstoboddah wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:30 am
Fiddy wrote:
letterstoboddah wrote:
i am not very good at typing. i am sorry. somebody already said i was posting too fast and now i am in trouble for my bad typing

No, you're good and have absolutely nothing to worry about! Keep posting and don't let anybody dull your shine!

AcrylicSuperman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AcrylicSuperman » Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:39 pm

letterstoboddah wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:30 am
Fiddy wrote:
letterstoboddah wrote:

You are absolutely fine! No worries!

Alex!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Alex! » Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:32 am

Do you guys think that a DP100 pickup would be a good replacement for a Dimarzio H3 pickup I’m making a red Jag-stang. Even tho he didn’t play it…
2 lovers in a twine, pass me by, and heaven knows I’m miserable now- Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now, The Smiths, Louder than Bombs, 1987

Amon 7.L
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Amon 7.L » Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:15 am

Alex! wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:32 am
Do you guys think that a DP100 pickup would be a good replacement for a Dimarzio H3 pickup I’m making a red Jag-stang. Even tho he didn’t play it…

The DiMarzio H3 is a neck pickup specifically made for Fender and the closest sounding pickup available is the DiMarzio Evolution Neck model (DP158).

There's an article on Jemsite about it
Here's the salient part for quick reference:

With that description, a DiMarzio Super Distortion (DP100) would not be ag good replacement if you're looking for accuracy.

AcrylicSuperman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AcrylicSuperman » Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:38 pm

Alex! wrote:

If you are trying to build an exact replica of the red prototype, what we refer to in this thread as red 2.0, you can actually still order a DiMarzio H3 from DiMarzio themselves. I know because I inquired about it right around Covid. Amon is right, it is a neck specific pickup made by DiMarzio for Fender. The red prototype, like it's blue counterpart, originally had a Seymour Duncan 59 in the bridge. The reason Red has the DiMarzio when it was officially displayed is because Fender was under a contract with DiMarzio at that time. If you absolutely can not find a DiMarzio H3, or DiMarzio will not custom order one for you, the closest you can get is the Evolution neck.

But Kurt did play a Super Distortion in his Jaguar before In Utero, so if you are after more Nevermind tones, it'll do the job. If you want what Kurt would have got, you want the Duncan 59. If you want what Fender altered, you want the DiMarzio H3. Hope that helps.

Alex!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Alex! » Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:15 am

AcrylicSuperman wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:38 pm
Alex! wrote:

If you are trying to build an exact replica of the red prototype, what we refer to in this thread as red 2.0, you can actually still order a DiMarzio H3 from DiMarzio themselves. I know because I inquired about it right around Covid. Amon is right, it is a neck specific pickup made by DiMarzio for Fender. The red prototype, like it's blue counterpart, originally had a Seymour Duncan 59 in the bridge. The reason Red has the DiMarzio when it was officially displayed is because Fender was under a contract with DiMarzio at that time. If you absolutely can not find a DiMarzio H3, or DiMarzio will not custom order one for you, the closest you can get is the Evolution neck.

But Kurt did play a Super Distortion in his Jaguar before In Utero, so if you are after more Nevermind tones, it'll do the job. If you want what Kurt would have got, you want the Duncan 59. If you want what Fender altered, you want the DiMarzio H3. Hope that helps.
Thank you guys so much!
2 lovers in a twine, pass me by, and heaven knows I’m miserable now- Heaven Knows I’m Miserable Now, The Smiths, Louder than Bombs, 1987

AcrylicSuperman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AcrylicSuperman » Fri Oct 27, 2023 1:39 pm

Alex! wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2023 10:15 am
AcrylicSuperman wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:38 pm
Alex! wrote:

Thank you guys so much!
You're welcome.

AcrylicSuperman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AcrylicSuperman » Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:50 am

Hey everyone,

I wanted to jump in here and give you a quick update.

One of the last times I posted in here, I announced that I had got access to Kurt's Competition Mustang. The process was a bit slow, but we got there in the end and we got the measurements from the neck that we required. First off, I had to contact the owner, Jim Irsay, and ask for permission for said measurements to be acquired. I was then sent through the company Vice President, Larry Hall. Larry was very accommodating and when permission was given, it was granted on the condition that Jacob Sheff, the Indianapolis Colts Manager of Special Projects and Historical Affairs, handle it and take the measurements. This was very much a careful white glove affair, and Jake was a former employee of the Smithsonian, so needless to say, the guitar was treated carefully and as the investment that it is. If you have any doubts about this guitars future, I want you to rest assured that it is in incredibly safe hands.

The guitar shifted around a bit with displays in various locations of the US, but when it returned home, we had a golden opportunity to take the measurements required. However, we ran into a major issue doing so. I had been given permission to take the measurements of the 1st and 12th fret thickness, but we overlooked the issue of the strings. The strings that are on it today are the same strings Kurt last had strung up on the instrument and there was really no compromise about having them moved. It just wasn't going to happen. We were briefly at a loss as the guitar had to be shipped to another location for display. Jake and I discussed putting something between the strings, taking measurements and then subtracting the measurement of the item. When the guitar came back home, Jake was out of the office for a business trip and was originally going to reach out in a weeks time from that correspondence. And then there were crickets. The guitar had shifted once more and returned but I still didn't hear anything back until a few days ago. Jake apologized to me for the long delay. He had fallen ill with a severe case of Covid. But, he got us the last of the measurements we needed.

I know I have asked before, but for our American friends out there, please, if you can, turn on a Colts game if you catch it. I'd like to show some support to these three men for being gracious enough to help us solve this mystery. It's the least we could do.

Jake catching Covid like that reminded me of why I wanted to put in the time and the research into this instrument. Kurt is gone. He can no longer tell his story. Mark Wittenberg is gone. He can no longer tell his side of the story. Dan Smith is gone. He can't give us his side of the story either. The legends and myths about this guitar kept the instrument alive, but very little was true. Some things were false. Some were half truths at best. But if we hadn't come together to make this happen, there would have come a point where the people who could tell us would be gone too. Luckily, we've talked to just about all of them that were still possible.

So what does this mean for you? Well, Amon and I have some data to crunch before we make any reveals. We have data from Fender, from Jim, and from the various production models and we need to go over all of those. When it comes to the Jagstang neck, unless we can get our hands on the prototype, we will never 100% know for sure. But, having said that, we do believe that we hold the answer in our data, or something incredibly close. We are going to do our best to bring you the closest representation of the prototype neck. When that time comes, we'll reveal the competition neck specs to all of you as well and then we'll discuss neck options because there could easily be a few answers to this equation and they're all correct.

The reveal will likely happen in 2024. I can't speak for Amon's schedule but I am personally slammed with holidays and birthdays, including my own, this month. So we thank you for your patience. Know that answers will be coming very soon. I'm incredibly happy, but I also find this moment to be bittersweet. I've dedicated about 20 years of my life to this instrument. For this project to come to an end, I find myself proud but a little lost too. But over all, I am happy and I am happy to have shared this journey with everyone here who are reading both in the present and in the future.

Happy Holidays to the Offset Family. Whatever you celebrate, however you celebrate, spend time with your loved ones. If the story of the Jagstang has taught me anything, it's that tomorrow isn't guaranteed for anyone. Ted Theodore Logan said it best: "We're all just dust in the wind, dude!" Love each other, be safe and we will see you in the future.

-AcrylicSuperman

Emil
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Emil » Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:46 pm

Since the Jagstang-necks came from Japan, and we know the measurements on Skystang I, why don’t you think it has a MG69 neck as the Skystangs?

AcrylicSuperman
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AcrylicSuperman » Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:37 pm

Emil wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:46 pm
Since the Jagstang-necks came from Japan, and we know the measurements on Skystang I, why don’t you think it has a MG69 neck as the Skystangs?
The jagstang necks didn't exactly come from japan.

The prototypes featured necks that were built in the custom shop by Larry Brooks. There were two necks ordered from Japan unfinished made by Scott Zimmerman, but none of those made it to Kurt. I believe that these necks were likely MG-69 necks and were going to replace the necks on Blue and Red, but I do not believe that this was done by Kurt's request.

Having said that, the MG-69 necks and the Jagstang production necks are not the same. There a spec differences.

As I said in my last post, there are a few different ways you can go about the Jagstang neck and still be accurate. All will be explained in good time.

-AS

BTL
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BTL » Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:08 pm

I sill owe you guys measurements off my MIM Jag-Stang. Maybe this weekend?
Owner, Lowe Custom Guitars