3 Pickup Mahogany Jaguar with black anodized pickguard - *Finished!*

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
nihilandvoid
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

3 Pickup Mahogany Jaguar with black anodized pickguard - *Finished!*

Post by nihilandvoid » Fri May 10, 2019 3:57 am

A while ago I built a jaguar with three teisco pickups and a kawai tremolo, it was cool but i didnt enjoy the sound of the pickups and it wasn't quite properly put together....

it sat unplayed for a while since i wasn't happy with it, and i was unsure of what i wanted to do with it.
After obtaining my Sublime Chieftain Deluxe (hollow with p90s) and my Ovation Breadwinner (with super distortions), i wanted something more Strat like but i cant play full scale guitars.
I decided to rebuild the Jaguar with strat pickups and an alternative wiring scheme taking advantage of the control plates on the jaguar.

I also found a guy in South Australia (me being in Queensland) who makes a full set of black anodized jaguar pickguard/control plate sets.
The one he had available sold so i reached out to him and inquired about a custom set. I opted for a similar set up to the Johnny Marr Jaguar, 2 slide switches on the up control plate, a strat lever switch, and a Master volume control (no tone).
After a few months i received it and it is beautiful! i also got most of the parts needed, plugged the holes in preparation for the mustang bridge.
The pickups are from an early 2000's Highway One Strat (possibly Alnico III, not sure, if anyone knows the specs please let me know) and all read around 5.9K.
Here's a rough mock up, I thought the Purple Volume knob and Switch tip would be a nice touch as well.
Ive ordered Black pickup covers too, i considered chrome but i think the black will look more sleak

the Electronics will be a 3 way tele lever switch (to switch between neck and bridge) and the two upper slide switches will turn the middle pickup on and have it in series or parallel. So i can have Bridge, Middle or Neck, Bridge + Neck, Neck + Middle (ser or par), Bridge + Middle (ser or par) and Neck + Bridge + Middle (Ser or par).

Ill be finishing this off next week once i get all the parts together.

Cheers
Alex
Last edited by nihilandvoid on Tue May 14, 2019 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Death is a gentleman too, he makes good losers of us all.

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: 3 Pickup Jaguar with black anodized pickguard (formerly the Teisco Jaguar)

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Fri May 10, 2019 5:41 am

I already liked the first incarnation of it! But the all black 3-piece anodized guard looks killer! :-*
Also the purple pickup-selector tip looks great! Bice detail! - but I guess I would have kept one of the old knobs. (I just don‘t like these strat knobs)

Trout
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Trout » Fri May 10, 2019 5:51 am

Yes!
#sitdownrock at https://staffanandersson.bandcamp.com/album/det-hemliga-namnet

gdayj
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gdayj » Fri May 10, 2019 3:27 pm

Looking good Alex!
HERAD guitars

Jsil13
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Jsil13 » Fri May 10, 2019 4:08 pm

I think both variations look great man. I have that same trem on an old MIJ guitar branded Marvel. It was missing the arm when I found it, but I'm wondering if you've ever used it? I'm just wondering what it's like.

nihilandvoid
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by nihilandvoid » Fri May 10, 2019 7:26 pm

Jsil13 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 4:08 pm
I think both variations look great man. I have that same trem on an old MIJ guitar branded Marvel. It was missing the arm when I found it, but I'm wondering if you've ever used it? I'm just wondering what it's like.
I was having tuning instability problems with it at first, so I removed it and converted it to hardtail. But after reassessing I think it was down to not being setup right. It’s a subtle sorta bigsby like feel.

nihilandvoid
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: 3 Pickup Jaguar with black anodized pickguard FINISHED!

Post by nihilandvoid » Tue May 14, 2019 5:09 am

and shes finished! unfortunately in the flow of the build I didn't take any photos, but its all done.
Still a few little tweaks needed, I think ill put a shim in the neck, and i need some proper screws for the pickups.
Soon enough ill take it to get set up properly

Amon 7.L
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Amon 7.L » Tue May 14, 2019 11:08 am

I hope you can handle some criticism but I feel the need to deliver honesty where it's due.
There's a major flaw with this is guitar:

It's not in my hands.

valley_parade
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by valley_parade » Tue May 14, 2019 11:58 am

Holy freaking hell that Jag looks awesome.