Double-ish Mustang Project(s) - Conclusion?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Double-ish Mustang Project(s) - One Mustang to go!

Post by Danley » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:40 pm

Thanks! Please select your character:

Brief run-down: I mentioned I had to use a shim with the '66 neck on the Dakota; well, the Bronco neck was so elevated above the Daphne body it would have needed a reverse shim :-/ Had resigned myself to doing a project without removing paint, but... Remembered someone refinished the pocket with several gigantic layers of paint:

Now the neck is placed perfectly, and still no need for a shim on the Daphne :) Setups are identical. Still need to deal with that crappy nut on the Daphne - it's way too far spaced, and the D is on the fretboard; nut probably wasn't even meant for this neck at all.

Daphne is lighter, and that neck feels like a goddamn club; so solid. You know how you can sometimes 'wiggle'-vibrato using the neck? Not on this guitar. It also sounds a bit brighter/louder than the Dakota, even with old strings; could be the frets are sharper, or the zinc bridge saddles, or the gigantic neck/lighter body. The Dakota sounds a bit more subdued overall, less snap. I almost hate saying it - maybe it's my degree of familiarity with the Daphne body, but everything just falls at hand much better for me on that guitar; weird considering they're the same damn body and the Daphne still has the screwed up nut:

King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!