Black witch hat knobs

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
fmorelli
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Black witch hat knobs

Post by fmorelli » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:51 pm

Hi guys, first post. I did a bunch of searches on the OSG (and elsewhere) but didn't have much luck. Likely a "duh" question, but is there a place to get black witch hat knobs for the JM? Funny I'm able to find black pickup covers, but not witch hats.

Thanks, Filippo

Rgand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Black witch hat knobs

Post by Rgand » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:46 pm

Try this search on ebay. There are a bunch of them. Make sure you get the right ones you need. There are US and metric sizes as well as splined or with set screws. You can also find them on StewMac, Allparts and other guitar parts suppliers.

fmorelli
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by fmorelli » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:32 am

Rgand wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:46 pm
Try this search on ebay. There are a bunch of them. Make sure you get the right ones you need. There are US and metric sizes as well as splined or with set screws. You can also find them on StewMac, Allparts and other guitar parts suppliers.
Thanks ... I had done a search on eBay/Stewmac/AllParts/Reverb before I posted. And Google images for that matter. I probably should have been more clear on that.

On you eBay search, you'll note most of the return results have the numbers in the wrong direction. Of those with numbers in the right direction, there are those made for push-on (knurled) shafts, metric sizing, so that culls the search further. How many have a solid shaft, set screw configuration? I can't find any. Hence my question.

Digging deeper. One can get Fender (part number: 099-0930-000) amplifier knobs in black, set screw for 1/4" solid shaft, but the biggest problem there is the numbers (while the correct font!) are oriented inward not outward.

I am not against buying a set of knobs in the right visual orientation, reaming them for the metal sleeve insert, installing the insert and drilling for set screw ... but I figured someone here would know if the actual knobs exist or has made them and might have pointers. My searches have yielded nothing, and I'm sure I'm far from the first guy who has wondered this.

Filippo

FEXII
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FEXII » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:25 am

Genuine black witch hat knobs with the numbers in the correct orientation are really hard to find at the moment. I have been looking for some vintage ones for quite a while.

http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... +hat+knobs

Rgand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Rgand » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:59 am

I never paid much attention to which orientation the numbers were. I suppose that can be a problem if you really want them oriented outward. I hope you find them.

fmorelli
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by fmorelli » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:04 am

FEXII wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:25 am
Genuine black witch hat knobs with the numbers in the correct orientation are really hard to find at the moment. I have been looking for some vintage ones for quite a while.

http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... +hat+knobs
Thanks for the reply. For some odd reason I can't view that link. Even logged out and back in to OSG, and tried logging in via Incognito. Not sure what is special about the link (I'm "unauthorized" to view it).

So back to looking for these ... next thing was to dig in to parts. I can get reasonably accurate external dimension black witch hat knobs with outward facing numbers. The font is not perfect but acceptable (I will forego that). I can reem the inside of a knurl shaft knob and convert a push-on to a set screw knob, but here's where the problem arises. No one seems to manufacture a 1/4" ID x 7/16" OD set screw collar. 1/2" OD is the only option I find. 1/2" OD doesn't fit inside the hat. No 7/16" OD exist (to where one could bore the ID. 6mm x 11mm would work, boring ID 40 thou over, but 11mm collars don't exist. I'm now going to take a look at another approach and will post if I figure it out.

Thanks for the feedback ... any insights from others (or unravel why I can't look at the link above) ... please share!

Filippo

mcatano
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mcatano » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:57 am

Your post count isn’t yet high enough to view the buy/sell/trade and wanted sections of the site.

FEXII
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FEXII » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:24 am

Rgand wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:59 am
I never paid much attention to which orientation the numbers were. I suppose that can be a problem if you really want them oriented outward. I hope you find them.
I just wanted vintage original ones to replace a pair that are a bit worn on a Fender Electric XII.

FEXII
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FEXII » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:30 am

fmorelli wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:04 am
Thanks for the reply. For some odd reason I can't view that link. Even logged out and back in to OSG, and tried logging in via Incognito. Not sure what is special about the link (I'm "unauthorized" to view it).

Thanks for the feedback ... any insights from others (or unravel why I can't look at the link above) ... please share!

Filippo
You're not missing much . . . it was just a link to a post I made looking to buy some black witch hat knobs back in 2014 and still waiting for a reply!!

Rgand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Rgand » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:33 am

FEXII wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:24 am
Rgand wrote:
I just wanted vintage original ones to replace a pair that are a bit worn on a Fender Electric XII.
I would want the correct ones for that, too. I wonder if a call to Fender would net the correct ones. Here's the Fender Product Support page. At the top, there is a phone number and a link for a live chat.

FEXII
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FEXII » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:00 am

Rgand wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:33 am
FEXII wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:24 am
Rgand wrote:
I would want the correct ones for that, too. I wonder if a call to Fender would net the correct ones. Here's the Fender Product Support page. At the top, there is a phone number and a link for a live chat.
I doubt it, and certainly not for a vintage part.

matbard
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by matbard » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:03 am

On my XII replica, I used genuine vintage ones, found on EvilBay.

Nobody do them nowadays.

MayTheFuzzBeWithYou
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MayTheFuzzBeWithYou » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:38 pm

While I personally find that to be nitpicking - I can understand your urge to find a fitting one to the one you have... but why don't change both? (and keep the one you got in a safe place) - you can get Telecaster Deluxe knobs almost everywhere, and in comparison to the white Jazzmaster witchhats they are almost reasonably priced. I personally have a pair of black amp knobs from Tube Amp Doctor (without Volume/Tone written on them) and I recently acquired two sets of (white) Allparts witchhats - originally intended for Gibson guitars if I'm not mistaken - they are going from 0 to 10 and have a slightly different font - but these are the two (or three) recent options you got.

fmorelli
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by fmorelli » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:30 pm

Thanks for the replies. For the black witch hat knobs, the fender blackface ones have the numbers written backwards. They will certainly fit. From the responses I'm seeing, it looks like they don't exist in black. I figured there might be a supplier somewhere that I had not found.

I considered making some since reasonably correct push on knobs can be found. But no one really makes 7/16 OD tubing with 1/4 ID, as an alternative would be to simply reem a push on knob, and insert a piece of tubing and make a set screw based collar. But this is like digging a hole to China....

Filippo

alexpigment
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by alexpigment » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:50 pm

If you can find a push-on knob that works and you're really set on that look, why not just get some pots that fit with the push on knobs? Yes, it's an added cost and you may end up with slightly lower quality pots, but it's certainly not an expensive option.