HELP: Ebonizing Fretboard Advice

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Amon 7.L
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

HELP: Ebonizing Fretboard Advice

Post by Amon 7.L » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:07 am

Hi guys,
I'd like an advice from you as I'm going to do some experimenting ebonizing a mahogany fretboard (it's just a test, I know mahogany is not recommended as fretboard material), I'm looking for the jet-black outcome and after searching online I've settle on using Fiebing's leather dye.

Question is, which one do you think is the best choice?
- Oil based:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fiebings-Pro ... zKg9cL5Erw

-Acrylic based:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fiebings-Ant ... heQ7bPMQFQ

-Alcohol based:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fiebings-Lea ... SwA1NdTLzR

Thanks

epizootics
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: HELP: Ebonizing Fretboard Advice

Post by epizootics » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:27 pm

Just before posting this I realized that all of my recent posts make me sound like a steel-wool-and-vinegar maniac...
Hell, you got me, I actually work for a company that produces both white vinegar and steel wool and we are on a rampage to take over the world :ph34r:

Silly stuff aside, you'll find that the high tanin content of mahogany makes it a perfect victim for the ol' SW&V solution. Makes it turn very dark, with the added benefit of penetrating quite deep in the fibers. And here again, India ink will do a good job of darkening whatever is left of the original color. (yeah, my company also makes India ink!)

Amon 7.L
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Amon 7.L » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:46 am

epizootics wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:27 pm
Just before posting this I realized that all of my recent posts make me sound like a steel-wool-and-vinegar maniac...
Hell, you got me, I actually work for a company that produces both white vinegar and steel wool and we are on a rampage to take over the world :ph34r:

Silly stuff aside, you'll find that the high tanin content of mahogany makes it a perfect victim for the ol' SW&V solution. Makes it turn very dark, with the added benefit of penetrating quite deep in the fibers. And here again, India ink will do a good job of darkening whatever is left of the original color. (yeah, my company also makes India ink!)
Thank you for chiming in.
Now all is clear, all those chemical testing you were doing was the stage one of your secret operation, I guess we're now dealing with stage two: the promotional step! :D
I've got a confession thou: We not only share membership of the Cra-Z Sanny Guitar Club but I'm also an indipendent of cell the SW & V cult :ph34r:

Jokes aside, I can confirm you that mahogany is a great candidate for the treatment, same goes for bubinga. I've had great success in the past as they both turn extremelly dark, almost black.

I'm now realising that there's been misleading wording on my part in the OP as for test on mahogany is more concerned about the absorbing behaviour on a finished, radiused and level-sanded fretboard which results being "waterproof" and the SW&V doesn't sunk through the fibers unless I rough it up again, but at that point, once I'll have to re-sand the radius to perfect smoothness, I lose the black.

Clear example:

My question thou is that I'm looking for an advice/explanation about the difference in formulas and finish properties within those 3 Fiebing's Leather dyes. Ideally, I'm looking for something that penetrates the wood and won't run off if when I'll be sanding up to 800grit or higher.

Furthermore, my goal is to later re-ebonize the fretboard of my Jaguar as initially professionally done by a luthier due to the fact that the light-shaded rosewood is now showing back again and I despise it with passion.
Needless to say, I can't be messing with the fretboard with process like roughing it up and so on, I don't want to risk to damage it. That's why I want to try the Fiebing's, if it just soaks on a finished fretboard, it would be a practical solution for me.

If you think India Ink on its own would do the job, I have no problem going with it.
What do you suggest?

amplituden
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by amplituden » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:34 am

I have never done this myself but was considering trying this. Using India Ink to Ebonize wood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0E7E6uSPJY

Amon 7.L
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Amon 7.L » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:08 am

amplituden wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:34 am
I have never done this myself but was considering trying this. Using India Ink to Ebonize wood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0E7E6uSPJY
Yup, sounds like ink it the right way to go. The Speedball sounds it's the perfect candidate as it contains shellac and it's also UV resistant. And it's jet black.

Yesterday I've pulled the trigger and bought the alcohol type of Fiebing's dye. I've also have some shellac and SW & V solution to mess with.
It's gonna be fun.

Thanks for chiming in, very appreciated.