My perfect Jaguar - need help with the wiring please :)

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
kurski
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

My perfect Jaguar - need help with the wiring please :)

Post by kurski » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:15 am

Oh righty Folks,

Last year i decided it was time to build my perfect Jaguar.... from parts obviously.
I bought a :
Japanese Jaguar body in candy apple red (thick poly finish)
All parts neck (worth every penny)
65 VR pickups
Vintage wire, CTS pots, metal plates, mint guard, Japanese bridge assembly, mustang bridge, kluson deluxe tuners, 65 decal, mute system, and so on and so forth.....

I painted the neck with nitro, decal over paint with light mist, put everything together, wired, soldered, adjusted everything.....fine. There was something wrong with it. I wasn't happy with it, IT wasn't the guitar I always wanted. This year I decided to make it a PRIME JAG.

At this moment in time everything is apart, body is sanded, I made the contours more pronounced by hand as CNC ones looked too generic. Sherwood green nitro is to be applied this weekend but here's where the problem is, I cannot find the wiring I always dreamt of anywhere (at least I cannot find the combination I am after). If anyone is willing to help then please share you knowledge with me. What I am after is:

Rhythm circuit - In active position turns both pickups on with two roller pots acting as volume knob for each pickup respectively (I already have two 1M pots there) .
Lead circuit - In active position changes bass strangle switch to series/parallel mode.

Thanks
Jack

UPDATE:

I have wired the rhythm controls like I wanted and tested them and everything seems to be working fine. I have come up how to combine it with existing wiring available on the internet that does series/parallel mod with in/out of phase option. Here's what I managed to scribble (not tested yet). Can anyone look and check for any obvious mistakes please?

Regards
Jack

kurski
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: My perfect Jaguar - need help with the wiring please :)

Post by kurski » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:02 am

Come on, nobody?????????

threewordname
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by threewordname » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:14 am

It sounds like you want to add two new sounds, both pickups in series for the lead circuit, and both pickups in parallel for the rhythm circuit. It sounds like you are ok getting rid of the "neck only" option in the rhythm.

A more elegant solution might be to use the "both pickups off" position as your series mode, rather than making the strangle switch do double duty.

The diagram for that portion is below:

SY6655321
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by SY6655321 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:36 pm

So in the rhythm position you just want independent volumes for each pickup (I'm assuming to blend them)? No tone pots, no lead circuit switching, etc.

If so, wire it like a jazz bass:
https://images.app.goo.gl/S6Wsuv3HvFCwgyQv9

Like so:

Your series/phase switching on the lead circuit is correct, just remember to isolate the bridge pickup's ground.

Futuron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Futuron » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:34 pm

I see a potential issue, or at least a complication. In rhythm mode, your bridge pickup is open or short circuit in some switching combinations due to the phase & series circuitry. The ground wire doesn't reach ground, unless the bridge pickup is "on" (up) and the phase switch is down.

kurski
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kurski » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:36 pm

Thanks for your replies. If it comes to rythm curcuit, what if I add tone bleed by leaving it as is and simply putting two duncan style resistor/caps on each small pots? Like mentioned before this should give identical combination in both modes but with different tonal qualities. Futuron, do you mean Lead mode?.... Oh this is gonna be loads of soldering something tells me 😀😀😀 but just imagine what the outcome is gonna be when it all goes as planned 👍

Futuron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Futuron » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:01 am

kurski wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:36 pm
Futuron, do you mean Lead mode?
No. Normally the rhythm circuit only uses the neck pickup, but in your case you have the bridge pickup too. That means you need the bridge ground wire to go to ground when the rhythm circuit is selected. But it isn't connected to ground at all times. In rhythm mode on your diagram, you won't get bridge pickup unless the bridge switch is up and the phase switch is down.

kurski
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by kurski » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:33 am

I will run that ground straight to the output jack from the last slide switch and get rid of the ground wire from the tone pot. That should sort it thanks for pointing it out.