What strat pick ups would work nice for a Bass VI?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
ohm-men
Expat
Expat

What strat pick ups would work nice for a Bass VI?

Post by ohm-men » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:42 am

Hi All,

Manny moons ago I build a Bass VI from a Squier Bronco Bass neck and made a DIY Maghony Bass VI body. (This was Pre-Squier VI)
As of late this thing has become my No. 1 guitar that I use as a bass in a 3 piece Surf-Rock band (Man or Astroman? style kind of thing), tuned E-e (an octave below a guitar)
When I build it, I stuck some cheapo ceramic Richwood strat single coils in it. But as of late, I find these a bit too trebly and lacking some body.
I'm using an old 90's Ampeg (SS) SVT Bass Amp with a 15" cab. But the combination of the maple Bronco neck with the Maghony body has a lot of high tones in it, so to speak.

So, what not über expensive Alnico Strat pu's would give a nice punchy Bass VI sound?

Horsefeather
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: What strat pick ups would work nice for a Bass VI?

Post by Horsefeather » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:56 am

If you're looking for body in Strat pickups, stop your search at G&L MFDs. Leo considered them his perfect pickup design! They have adjustable pole pieces for fine tuning and they're not terribly expensive.

I have a 27" scale baritone with P90s in the bridge and neck and a MFD tele neck pickup in the middle and I swear it's the best sounding one of the three! A nice bonus to the design is that they don't hum as much as typical single coils.

Drewbertca
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: What strat pick ups would work nice for a Bass VI?

Post by Drewbertca » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:30 pm

Check out Rose Pickups. Ken set me up with awesome pickups twice. Great prices too.