Bullet project is complete

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Bullet project is complete

Post by Larry Mal » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:50 am

Special thanks to Chris (Con-tiki! on here) for supplying me with the saddles, which really tied this whole thing together:

I got lucky with finding a nice neck for this one- it wasn't cheap, but it's good:

Rolling string trees for whatever reason:

My usual Kluson revolution locking tuners because they are the best:

I'm also proud of my singular lemon, I'm a singular lemon farmer:

This thing was torn up when I got it, this was the corrosion under the pickguard for instance:

I tossed all that shit, and bought a whole new very high quality harness. For some reason I thought that the pickups weren't working, but I found out they were. I think I introduced a ground loop, I put in some copper shielding in the cavities, and also on the pickguard to stop the corrosion from spreading (I sanded it down to bare metal), and since Bullets ground to the pickguard I think I had a ground loop that was sending all signal to ground not just the noise.

Man, this guitar sounds great. The pickups measure something like 6k and 5.8k, but they are strong and powerful, very clear sounding. This guitar has tons of sustain, also... like a Les Paul. I'm not kidding. I don't care anything about sustain but it still stands out. I love the way Bullets sound, but this one for whatever reason is just amazing.

It'll never win any beauty contests here, there's still some holes in it from when someone converted it to being a left handed guitar. But I'm happy with how it all turned out, and kind of pleased that I turned something that was pretty close to garbage into something useful even though I spent a lot more on it than I had initially thought. You know how it goes.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Bullet project is complete

Post by Embenny » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:56 am

It's alive! It looks good to me. You seem to have an affinity for vintage underdog guitars. The Bullet is kind of to Fender what some of the Norlin designs are to Gibson.

Did those Revolutions fit right in or need any fenagling to retrofit? You've been singing their praises for a while so I think I'll give them a go on my next project.

I may have some bad news for you though about corrosion and that shielding you put after sanding...copper's probably the wrong thing to use. The pickguard sounds like it's painted steel (hence it being magnetic like you mentioned), which is higher on the galvanic table than copper. What this means is, when the two metals touch, the steel will become preferentially consumed by galvanic corrosion and the copper will be spared.

If you use aluminum shielding, the aluminum will become preferentially corroded, which is definitely better but still not ideal.

My best suggestion would be to paint the steel to prevent corrosion. If you use a graphite-based conductive paint, you can prevent further corrosion while also letting the pots and switches electrically contact the pickguard for the extra shielding effect of completing your faraday cage.

I don't want to sound too negative though. You did a great job reviving that Bullet and I just wouldn't want to see that cool steel pickguard get corroded again.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:14 am

That's good advice, and something to think about, certainly. I had thought that the copper shielding might not be appropriate for the pickguard but I hadn't gone that far to think of them reacting, I just thought that I might have sealed the cause of the corrosion under the copper tape more than anything. I always considered it a temporary solution.

I just didn't know what paint to use on the bare metal and decided to get the whole thing together for now.

There is a slim chance that I get it to my guitar finishing guy and have it painted black some day, so I might not be quite done.

And yes, definitely get the Revolutions... you'll see. The quality is palpable.

I might be shedding a couple of guitars, though... I might get an ES-335, and if I do, I'll probably sell my Lead and Marauder to pay for it. So I might be a little less Norlin/CBS Fender light soon enough.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:01 pm

Nice looking Bullet Larry!! Great job saving it! I'm curious if those pickups are anything special with a resistance reading like they are, but still so strong sounding as you say. Very interesting.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:51 am

Thank you- I'm wondering what's up with the pickups myself. I had wondered if they might be somewhat microphonic or something like that.

Not sure... hopefully I'll be able to spend some more time with it as I go forward and learn it a little better. It was a lot of fun, but I might still have some more work to do. Like Mike mentioned, maybe it would be a good idea to get some shielding paint over the bare metal rather than the copper tape there.

Rgand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Rgand » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:03 am

Outstanding job! Very cool to say the least. Do you know the year of manufacture?

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:18 am

Well, the body is almost certainly a 1981 or so, since they only made that kind of Telecaster shape around that time. By 1982, they had changed to a stripped down Strat shape, then they expanded the Bullet line pretty deeply to include three single coil models, as well as single and double humbucker models, and the bass guitars.

By 1984 the entire Bullet concept had been moved to Fender Japan, which made Bullet type guitars for only a little while before the Squier Bullet became just a Stratocaster type guitar.

So this American made Telecaster type shape was only made in 1981 or thereabouts. Most of them are laminate, like this one is, but some of them are solid wood. By the 1982 Strat shape Bullets, though, those were all solid wood guitars.

I am pretty sure that the neck is a very early model, likely a 1981 as well, since the earliest Bullets had the offset "F" shape tuners like you can see on this one, but Fender very early on switched to the two-pin Fender type tuners that they still use today. So my guess is that this is actually a 1981 neck but I could be wrong, Fender was pretty sloppy and they were just using up whatever they had laying around for the Bullet.

Except, though, the necks. You always hear that Fender just used up old Telecaster necks but it's not true, the necks aren't actually the same, the Bullet has an extended headstock compared to the Telecaster. It's subtle, but it's there, and the necks were specially made for the Bullets.

The guy who designed this is a very nice man called John Page, and I've actually corresponded with him a bit. He's very flattered that people like his Bullets still. He also mentioned that he was mandated by Fender to design a guitar that cost no more than $60* to produce, so they could sell it for around $200 and still make money. But he says that he couldn't quite hit that, he got it around $62 but they went with it.

Bullets are great, though. They are long scale Fender guitars with the usual excellent Fender necks on there, I think Fender necks are just wonderful. They have the 7.25" radius at this point, they're pretty narrow at the nut, the neck carve can be all over the place but they all pay well that I've seen. The pickups are old Mustang pickups, they sound different in the long scale guitars, though. And the pick guards are most commonly a single piece of thick metal- steel or something magnetic- with the saddles attached directly to the pickguards.

Seems weird but it actually works out great, and I don't know why more people don't do it that way. The metal pickguard is good shielding, feels great, and it's a sensible design overall.

Frankly of all the guitars that Fender should be reissuing I have no idea why they don't re-visit the Bullet and the Lead- although neither of those guitars really offer anything all that different from the Strat and the Tele, I guess.

*I'm pretty sure he said $60- something like that.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:29 am

Oh, by the way, don't anyone get all inspired and get one of the humbucker Bullets. The single coils are great pickups as you know, but those humbuckers are weak, uninspiring and terrible. Whatever you want a humbucker to do it doesn't do that. Skip.

Nice guitars otherwise, though.

Rgand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Rgand » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:29 am

Thanks, I would have guessed it at 1982. I like the thinner body, too. It's a cool classic.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:40 am

I'm not saying it's not possibly a 1982... it's kind of hard to know with no serial number and I don't think Fender kept very good records of these.