Does anyone know which saddles fit Adjusto-O-Matics?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Does anyone know which saddles fit Adjusto-O-Matics?

Post by Embenny » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:45 pm

So, I have more adjust-o-matic equipped offsets than I would like. That is to say, I have several guitars that I like, other than their bridges.

I've got a Bigsby lying around and want to pick up a Les Trem or two, and I'd really prefer not to get to drilling out guitars for proper offset bridges. I've done the roller bridge thing (still have 3 lying around, some on guitars and some not) but two of my AOM guitars have 7.25" radii and the 12" radius is just too far from that (whereas I am not bothered near as much on a 9.5" radius guitar).

So I got to thinking, what about graphtech saddles? I'd be going with the fixed bridge/low friction saddle approach, which seems to work well enough on my two Mastery-equipped guitars.

Best of all, I could still file the saddle notches to fit the neck radius, like on a metal TOM saddle, rather than worry about shimming roller saddles etc.

The problem is that there are half a dozen different TOM models available from Graphtech, and none are specifically marked as matching the Fender variant.

Will someone end my TOM-induced woes and confirm which saddles might fit?
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

chrisrnps
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Does anyone know which saddles fit Adjusto-O-Matics?

Post by chrisrnps » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:52 pm

I’ve had GraphTech saddles in the past, and thought they changed the tone too much (rounder sound with less “edge” and “air,” which is usually one of the things people want to preserve of a “Fender offset” character).

Personally, I’ve made peace with roller bridges for AOM/TOM guitars with trems (except for one where I pulled the thimbles and just screwed a Mastery Rick bridge down over the top!). I use the shim lots intended for Floyd saddles, and sand down the sides to make them fit under the roller-TOM saddles to correct the radius if needed.
'Excellent! A little more practice will make you a regular whale. Now, if I may trouble you to unlace my back and front plates two holes more, I'll try that fascinating bend that you say is so easy. Won't Painted Jaguar be surprised!' ~ Rudyard Kipling

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:24 pm

Not sure, but I've been a little intrigued by the Les Trem 2 for some time, so keep us posted as to how you get on with it.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:22 pm

Since I didn't get any bites here, and actual measurements of the saddles aren't available on their website, I just emailed Graphtech to see what they say.

If they don't know offhand what fits an adjustomatic (which I really think they should, since it's on a ton of guitars and they should probably be interested in listing it on their comparability chart to make some more sales), then I'm going to bust out my caliper and send them the dimensions to see if it lines up with any of their offerings.

It's a little odd to me that in the decade of Fender making a ton of AOM models, nobody on OSG has tried Graphtech saddles. The whole point is for strings to slide easily across them, and they're a homogenous material so you can file them to any radius. It just seems like an easier solution than shimming individual roller saddles, doweling and drilling for new thimbles, and the other various and sundry fixes that are popular around here. Other than the AOM Staytrem, that was truly the easiest drop-in solution, and it's a shame that it's not on the market anymore (and that nobody has come out with a knockoff since then).
The artist formerly known as mbene085.