Duplicolor Thread

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Futuron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Duplicolor Thread

Post by Futuron » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:24 am

Metalcast pics:

The snare drum on the left has yellow metalcast over a marble effect over metallic gold. (The other 3 do not have anything (bar clear) over the metallic paints)

Various layers of metalcast red, purple, blue, orange over a silver sparkle.

Green metalcast over the original antigua burst finish body and pickguard, and also on the chrome parts. Pickup covers have green metalcast over a solid brunswick green. The paint is not as durable on the chrome as Duplicolor products advertise, as seen on the output jack connection.

Green metalcast over glitter (spray paint, not flakes) over solid green.

Green metalcast over the original mystic seafoam, with mystic seafoam on the right to compare.

Green metalcast over vespers blue metallic, with sherwood green on the right to compare.

Beware, sometimes you get a can that just spits out coloured dust powder, making a mess everywhere. Like when someone breaks a toner cartridge for a laser printer.

gerardguey
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gerardguey » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:57 pm

Futuron wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:24 am
Various layers of metalcast red, purple, blue, orange over a silver sparkle.
Wow, thats a really interesting color given the combo. Almost Oxblood. Im interested in how each coat layers on top of each other, and if they get darker or just more opaque.

If I spray red metalcast over this LPB tele body do you think I could get a decent purple if I only do a few coats? Would the color be really dark?

Futuron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Futuron » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:24 am

Who can say... I find it unpredictable. It will certainly be some version of purple, but as to what shades you get, you'd just have to find out! You'd need a few coats to get proper even coverage, unless you are an ace with spray paint. The more coats, the deeper (more 3d) and redder it will get. It might get darker as you go too. (I expect the white binding to end up pastel pink.) It may also just end up horrible, and simply go reddish brown.

gerardguey
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gerardguey » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:37 am

What clear coat did you use over the metalcast? 2k?

I may hold off on red over LPB the more I think about it, but if I can get a cheap silver sparkle body I may mess around with the metalcast blue or purple...

Futuron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Futuron » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:22 am

gerardguey wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:37 am
What clear coat did you use over the metalcast? 2k?
The Jazzmaster, Jazz copy and maybe red drum were sprayed with Dulux "Duramax" 2k cans while it was still available years ago. 2k clear in spray cans is very hard to get hold of around here, so I for the later projects I used a Feast Watson wipe-on poly. So the Toronado, Cyclone, and most of the snare drums (not sure about the reddish one).