Building a candy apple Jazzmaster - Finished! Photos on page 2

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
mikefiction
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Building a candy apple Jazzmaster - Finished! Photos on page 2

Post by mikefiction » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:53 am

I got some of the stuff to start a CAR JM build.

Used B.Hefner neck from the auction site (edit: it has a really nice dark rosewood) - body ordered from a shop in the UK. Pickguard from fenderparts.

I just have some old squier trem and bridge from my Bass VI upgrade on it to set the neck and string it up to test - waiting on my fender parts.

The body has one issue - the bridge holes are just slightly off, just a mm or two forward, just enough that I'm going to have to plug them and re-drill.

I haven't decided on pickups, pure vintage would be the cheapest option but I have those in my american original. I'm thinking Novaks?
Also not sure if I'm doing traditional electronics or something different with the upper circuit, will have to experiment, any suggestions?

Last edited by mikefiction on Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OFFSETS:
Fender American Original '60s Jazzmaster - Ocean Turquoise
Fender Alternate Reality Electric XII - Lake Placid Blue
Fender MIM Mustang - Shell Pink
Fender MIM Jazz Bass - Sunburst
Squier Bass VI - Sunburst

manwithtitties
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Building a candy apple Jazzmaster

Post by manwithtitties » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:17 am

i think wide range humbuckers and dial-a-taps like on the classic player/vintera HH jags would be neat

adamrobertt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by adamrobertt » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:46 am

If the bridge posts are only a millimeter or so off then why should drilling be necessary? Surely the adjustment of the bridge could compensate for that small of a difference...

I have the PV '65 pickups in my Jazzmaster and they are very good. I don't plan on swapping them any time soon or ever.

mikefiction
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mikefiction » Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:51 am

It may be more like 2-3mm but mainly I want to fix it so it centers under the pickguard holes - i'd rather modify the body than the pickguard, as the body will be hidden, but the pickguard won't, if that makes sense.

The PV65 is on my other JM as well, and they sound beautiful, wouldn't change a thing - was only thinking to change to try a different tone, even if it's just so slightly different, lol
adamrobertt wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:46 am
If the bridge posts are only a millimeter or so off then why should drilling be necessary? Surely the adjustment of the bridge could compensate for that small of a difference...

I have the PV '65 pickups in my Jazzmaster and they are very good. I don't plan on swapping them any time soon or ever.
OFFSETS:

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:29 am

Two questions:

1) On what basis are you judging the bridge holes to be off their placement? You mentioned pickguard alignment, but pickguards frequently require adjustment to fit a body, not the other way around. If you're moving the bridge posts on the body in order to avoid sanding a pickguard, you may likely end up with a guitar that cannot be intonated properly. I'd say about 50% of all pickguards I've ever bought required some sanding to fit properly. On JMs, it's also common for some pickguards to be based on the MIJ template vs the MIA one without the manufacturer specifying or realizing it, and the most common discrepancy is for the thimble holes not to line up when the neck pocket does, and vice versa.

I really, really strongly encourage you to adjust the pickguard rather than the body.

2) Why would you presume the fretboard to be BRW? All BRW in Europe or North America for decades has been either heavily-regulated and certified stumpwood, or illegally smuggled. In either case, absurdly expensive. There are many rosewood species that have red and brown variations in the grain and it is generally accepted that BRW cannot be reliably visually identified (and many makers have taken advantage of this, claiming things to be BRW that arent even true rosewood species, like jacaranda).
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

adamrobertt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by adamrobertt » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:06 am

mbene085 wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:29 am
Two questions:

1) On what basis are you judging the bridge holes to be off their placement? You mentioned pickguard alignment, but pickguards frequently require adjustment to fit a body, not the other way around. If you're moving the bridge posts on the body in order to avoid sanding a pickguard, you may likely end up with a guitar that cannot be intonated properly. I'd say about 50% of all pickguards I've ever bought required some sanding to fit properly. On JMs, it's also common for some pickguards to be based on the MIJ template vs the MIA one without the manufacturer specifying or realizing it, and the most common discrepancy is for the thimble holes not to line up when the neck pocket does, and vice versa.

I really, really strongly encourage you to adjust the pickguard rather than the body.

2) Why would you presume the fretboard to be BRW? All BRW in Europe or North America for decades has been either heavily-regulated and certified stumpwood, or illegally smuggled. In either case, absurdly expensive. There are many rosewood species that have red and brown variations in the grain and it is generally accepted that BRW cannot be reliably visually identified (and many makers have taken advantage of this, claiming things to be BRW that arent even true rosewood species, like jacaranda).
Agreed about the pickguard. Also remember that the bridge holes in the guard are covered completely by the bridge. You won't be able to see them unless you make them gigantic for some reason.

Zork
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Zork » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:44 pm

That pickguard looks really good. Is it printed?

andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy_tchp » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:45 pm

Fender Japan body?

Those have thimble holes located with about 3mm difference when compared with American spec bodies and the pickguard fit sucks when trying to mix/match, even when you do elongate the holes.
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

mikefiction
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mikefiction » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:58 pm

I'm judging it on the measurement from the nut - where it is currently located it is more difficult to perfectly intonate the guitar - the pickguard does fit my American Original JM with no issues. It would require more than a little sanding on the pickguard to line them up, plus the scale length would be short still - looks like it's a tad over 1/8 inch short.

I didn't know that brazillian was so rare, i doubt it's that - it's some other rosewood but quite darker than usual.
mbene085 wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:29 am
Two questions:

OFFSETS:

mikefiction
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mikefiction » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:01 pm

I do not believe it is printed - supposedly it is celluloid but I am not an expert. I'm not going to set it on fire to test, haha
Zork wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:44 pm
That pickguard looks really good. Is it printed?
OFFSETS:

mikefiction
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mikefiction » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:04 pm

It may be Japanese specs - the company that it came from in the UK said they have them made in Japan, but they stated it was US specs. it's possible it's actually Japan specs, or it's possible they just did a poor job. It doesn't have any pickguard holes yet, so I can't tell by previous holes or anything.
andy_tchp wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:45 pm
Fender Japan body?

Those have thimble holes located with about 3mm difference when compared with American spec bodies and the pickguard fit sucks when trying to mix/match, even when you do elongate the holes.
OFFSETS:

Rgand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Rgand » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:47 pm

mikefiction wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:58 pm
I'm judging it on the measurement from the nut - where it is currently located it is more difficult to perfectly intonate the guitar - the pickguard does fit my American Original JM with no issues. It would require more than a little sanding on the pickguard to line them up, plus the scale length would be short still - looks like it's a tad over 1/8 inch short.

Looks like your plug and re-drill idea is in order.

mikefiction
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mikefiction » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:39 am

Got the old holes plugged - just need to wait until it cures to re-drill - waiting until tomorrow anyways so that I have the bridge thimbles in hand to test fit on scrap before I drill the body. 3/8" should be good since I ordered an AVRI bridge but want to be sure.

OFFSETS:

OV7
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by OV7 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:09 pm

The Pure Vintage set sounded great to me, but I like the '65 Reissue neck and '62 Reissue bridge better. I can't tell the difference between any of them, though. They all sounded better once I put an Emerson harness in it. That pickguard and neck binding is an awesome combo.

mikefiction
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mikefiction » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:53 pm

I think I'm just going to go with the pure vintage '65 ones as they sound amazing and are a whole lot cheaper than the other options.
OV7 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:09 pm
The Pure Vintage set sounded great to me, but I like the '65 Reissue neck and '62 Reissue bridge better. I can't tell the difference between any of them, though. They all sounded better once I put an Emerson harness in it. That pickguard and neck binding is an awesome combo.
OFFSETS: