Replacement pickups for Jagmaster

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
strasurf
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Replacement pickups for Jagmaster

Post by strasurf » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:16 am

I have a Jagmaster and I want to change pickups because the stock ones are:

- too weak
- too bright

So I'm looking for pickups with:

- stronger output
- warmer
- max 50$ for each pickup

I've looked a lot online but the choice is too large... any suggestion?

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Replacement pickups for Jagmaster

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:06 am

What kind of pickups are you looking for? Posting some type or size criteria might help out anyone willing to make suggestions. Humbuckers, wide range humbuckers, P-90's. How many and which for what positions?
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

strasurf
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by strasurf » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:08 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:06 am
What kind of pickups are you looking for? Posting some type or size criteria might help out anyone willing to make suggestions. Humbuckers, wide range humbuckers, P-90's. How many and which for what positions?
I'm looking for humbuckers, both positions.

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:42 pm

oh oh oh. i have jagmasters. ask me.

this is my vista. it has the stock pickups. they work really well with this guitar.
if you count this as a jagmaster, this has an artec wrhb style pickup in the neck and an unknown pickup in the bridge. it sounds pretty decent.
this has a duncan designed pickups in it. the bridge is from a squier strat. the neck is from something i dont remember. it sounds like built to spill to me.
this has the artec filtertron in the neck and a copy of a univox ripper pickup in the bridge. it slays.

i should ask what kinda music you're playing. that might help.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

strasurf
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by strasurf » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:13 am

I play 60s rock and blues, and I want humbuckers that sound fatter and warmer.

Ceylon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ceylon » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:57 am

With the risk of being boring and predictable, you can probably find some Super Distortions used for 100$ a set that should do you right. Same thing with a Seymour Duncan SD'59 & Jazz set.
Science Friction burns my fingers
Electricity still lingers

strasurf
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by strasurf » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:26 am

Ceylon wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:57 am
With the risk of being boring and predictable, you can probably find some Super Distortions used for 100$ a set that should do you right. Same thing with a Seymour Duncan SD'59 & Jazz set.
Thanks!
What about cheaper pickups like GFS, etc?

Ceylon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ceylon » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:04 am

Actually a good place to start might be figuring out what pickups are currently in the Jagmaster so you have a better idea what you don't want. What year is it and where is it made? That'll probably help track down the exact specs of the pickups assuming they're the originals.

Also, is it a 25,5" or 24" scale one, since this has some bearing on the base tone you have to work with. 25,5" is going to sound like a Strat, 24" is going to sound like a somewhat darker, warmer, more percussive and less sustainy Strat if conventional wisdom is anything to go on.

strasurf
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by strasurf » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:38 am

Ceylon wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:04 am
Actually a good place to start might be figuring out what pickups are currently in the Jagmaster so you have a better idea what you don't want. What year is it and where is it made? That'll probably help track down the exact specs of the pickups assuming they're the originals.

Also, is it a 25,5" or 24" scale one, since this has some bearing on the base tone you have to work with. 25,5" is going to sound like a Strat, 24" is going to sound like a somewhat darker, warmer, more percussive and less sustainy Strat if conventional wisdom is anything to go on.
These are the original specs: 24''scale, alder body, Duncan designed humbuckers

Ceylon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ceylon » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:01 am

strasurf wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:38 am
Ceylon wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:04 am

These are the original specs: 24''scale, alder body, Duncan designed humbuckers
Keep in mind I have no personal experience with these, but the GFS VEH (vintage extra hot) sounds like it could be about right to fatten up a vibrato-equipped guitar without going into insanely high output. Disregard the Eddie Van Halen brown sound sales pitch and look at what the pickups do and see if that doesn't sound about right. They're Alnico 5 too, which might be preferable over Alnico 2 (though both correct for 60's PAFs afaik) in a shorter scale guitar.