Jazzmaster XII bridge options?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Jazzmaster XII bridge options?

Post by Singlebladepickup » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:40 pm

I know this has been posted about on here before, but Jazzmaster XII isn't giving me much in the search bar...

I have a parts JM with mastery thimbles and bridge, what are my options if I want to convert it to 12 strings? I'm thinking of buying a hockey stick neck from musikraft or warmoth, but I don't know if the best bridge option would be to try to find someone to make a custom insert for 12 string tune-o-matic bridge into mastery thimbles or if drilling into the body to fit a gotoh 12 string bridge is feasible.

I read about just using the grooves on a vintage style jazzmaster bridge, but don't know if the spacing would be off. Should I just wait for a xii or coronado 12 bridge to pop up?

Are there any other issues I haven't considered? I'd love something minimally invasive in case I ever decided to go back to six strings on this (my only) electric guitar

Danley
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jazzmaster XII bridge options?

Post by Danley » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:09 pm

I'm curious to hear others' suggestions; but off-hand using the stock Jazzmaster bridge sounds simple and feasible (as long as you use short saddle adjustment screws that don't stick up above the surface of the saddle - and as long as the adjustment screw holes in the saddles don't cause any issue with the string seating right atop them.) Do you plan on converting to hardtail, or modifying the stock vibrato tailpiece to accommodate twelve strings?
King Buzzo: I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jazzmaster XII bridge options?

Post by Singlebladepickup » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:48 pm

The vibrato is way down on my list of concerns, but I was going to try what I got before checking out the faction hardtail plate