Jazzmaster XII bridge options?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Jazzmaster XII bridge options?

Post by Singlebladepickup » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:40 pm

I know this has been posted about on here before, but Jazzmaster XII isn't giving me much in the search bar...

I have a parts JM with mastery thimbles and bridge, what are my options if I want to convert it to 12 strings? I'm thinking of buying a hockey stick neck from musikraft or warmoth, but I don't know if the best bridge option would be to try to find someone to make a custom insert for 12 string tune-o-matic bridge into mastery thimbles or if drilling into the body to fit a gotoh 12 string bridge is feasible.

I read about just using the grooves on a vintage style jazzmaster bridge, but don't know if the spacing would be off. Should I just wait for a xii or coronado 12 bridge to pop up?

Are there any other issues I haven't considered? I'd love something minimally invasive in case I ever decided to go back to six strings on this (my only) electric guitar

ThePearDream
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jazzmaster XII bridge options?

Post by ThePearDream » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:53 pm

I would replace the Mastery thimbles with these, then use a 12 string tune-o-matic style bridge. And as long as you're ordering an aftermarket neck, it should be simple to match the bridge radius.
Doug
@dpcannafax

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jazzmaster XII bridge options?

Post by Singlebladepickup » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:54 am

ThePearDream wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:53 pm
I would replace the Mastery thimbles with these, then use a 12 string tune-o-matic style bridge. And as long as you're ordering an aftermarket neck, it should be simple to match the bridge radius.
That looks pretty cool, I don't know shit about tune-o-matic bridges. I'm guessing they can all be set for whatever radius? I'd like to be able to order a 9.5 radius neck without having to take a specific bridge into account for width and spacing, and to be able to intonate all strings separately