Phase Switch Mod for Jaguar Classic Player Special HH

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
sonic_voo_doo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Phase Switch Mod for Jaguar Classic Player Special HH

Post by sonic_voo_doo » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:04 pm

Hi offset folks,

This is my first post here, but I've been a fan of jags/jazzmasters for years. And I'm pretty adept at modding, despite the fact that I have to look up the same DIY posts to remind myself every single time, ha ha. But let me get to the point...

I have a Jaguar Classic Player Special HH which I LOVE. The upper bout controls vary quite widely from the typical Jag rhythm circuit: the tone wheels mix in a coil split for each pickup (full on is humbucking, full off is single coil, known as spin-a-split I'm told), and the rhythm circuit toggle is just a kill switch. I like everything about it, except I never use the kill switch. I'm thinking that I'd get way more mileage out of a phase reverse switch for the bridge pickup.

So, I'm really just hoping that someone out there will double check my work based on the spec sheet diagrams found here: https://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/Orig ... Manual.pdf:

1. Desolder black (hot output) wire from from bridge pickup and green wire running to neck pickup switch on lower bout. Solder together (neck pickup is no longer part of the circuit).
2. Desolder ground jumper on inner two lugs (i.e. kill switch side of the circuit) and ground wire running to outer edge of switch. Resolder ground wire to outer lug. This is a preference thing, but I'd rather have the switch down position be in phase, even if it means a little more soldering.
3. Desolder red wire coming from bridge pickup (south start) from outer lug and desolder red wire running from center lug to lower bout. Solder lower bout wire to outer lug and bridge pickup wire to center lug.
4. Desolder green wire from bridge pickup (north start) from spin-a-split ground, solder to bottom center lug of switch.
5. Solder criss-cross (super adult term) jumpers between outer and inner lugs.

That's the best I can figure it... Am I missing anything?