Squier VM Jaguar refinish

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
corporatetom
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Squier VM Jaguar refinish

Post by corporatetom » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:01 am

Scout wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:00 am
Sorry, once again I am redundant. I was reading an older post. :fp:
Haha, no worries! We'll see once the handle comes off... Within reason I don't mind of you can see a little of the history of the guitar with signs of the old finish. But I would rather the signs were hidden in the the cavities than totally obvious!

corporatetom
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by corporatetom » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:10 am

I looked a lot at this old thread before starting on the headstock: http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/vie ... ing+squier - really useful with all of the pictures! So I copied that basically, roughed up the headstock:

After one coat:

And after three:

Untaped to check how well the masking tape had worked:

At this point I was feeling pretty pleased with myself. A clean line on the headstock, and some really nice comments on my painting which I'm very grateful for! But then I started on clear and my beginner's luck ran out. I hadn't realised how low my first can of clear (nitro) was after using it for sealing the wood earlier on and on my first clear coat I got a load of splatter. I was too slow to realise what was happening and continued spraying way too long. I read up on dealing with runs and drips in clear coats, but basically as this was the first coat direct on metallic paint I don't think there's much you can do except carry on spraying clear and hope it's not going to be too noticeable by the end.

I've done a couple more coats with my second can of clear and I think it's less noticeable already. I think it's going to be something I'll have to live with and see as part of the learning experience.

I also realised I'll need more clear and of course the place I bought it from is closed this week, so I'll have to be patient.

I'll take some pictures soon and try to show the problem.

Scout
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Scout » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:58 am

Be very careful removing that temporary handle, you have quite the paint build up there. Love the matching headstock.

corporatetom
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by corporatetom » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:53 am

Scout wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:58 am
Be very careful removing that temporary handle, you have quite the paint build up there. Love the matching headstock.
That's definitely a drawback of the plus size handle. I might try removing it once the latest clear is dry. Run a knife around the edge first.

corporatetom
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by corporatetom » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:55 am

Some splatter:

On the plus side - the metallic looks very metallic.

Steadyriot.
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Steadyriot. » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:58 am

It's nitro clear right?
Don't worry, the next few layers will melt into it. When you get to wet-sanding and pollishing, it'll even out and you won't notice.
"If someone duetted with a Bald Eagle, they could rule the Country charts from here to eternity." ~shadowplay

corporatetom
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by corporatetom » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:52 am

Steadyriot. wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:58 am
It's nitro clear right?
Don't worry, the next few layers will melt into it. When you get to wet-sanding and pollishing, it'll even out and you won't notice.
It is! Fingers crossed....

corporatetom
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by corporatetom » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:18 am

3 and a half months later! I got held up first waiting for more clear after I totally underestimated how much I would need (started with 2 cans, ended using close to 6). And post from the USA to Sweden has been taking a long time, so I had to wait for the decal to come.

Along the way I was getting nervous about how it would turn out and feel behind on updates - but I was still taking photos!

Sanding and polishing:

corporatetom
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by corporatetom » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:21 am

Definitely made some mistakes along the way, and it's not all perfect - far from it. Didn't manage to get the decal edges to disappear for example!

Decal applied:

Polished:

corporatetom
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by corporatetom » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:24 am

I'd already wired the guitar with a 4 way switch and PTB controls on the rhythm circuit previously. But they were still "adjustments" to the wiring. Now it was almost doing everything from scratch.

corporatetom
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by corporatetom » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:27 am

I made new metal control plates too. I've definitely learnt from my previous attempts. I'm still using quite thin metal though (think it's 0.75 mm) so they're a little flimsy. I put more energy into polishing them up nicely this time too.

corporatetom
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by corporatetom » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:35 am

At the start of this week I finally got the guitar string up and could properly check the wiring - and was surprised everything worked first time. With the pickguard on I had to adjust the upper horn control plate a little to get everything lining up right.

I'd also had to remove a little wood from the sides of the switch cavity to get the 4 way in previously. And that time I'd done a pretty slopping job with the switch plate so it wasn't that centered. This time I did a better job with the switch plate - so now I had to take out a little more wood to allow for the switch being a in a slightly different (correct!) position.

I shimmed the neck which I hadn't done before. I thought that might give me a load of setup issues but so far it all seems good! I had the neck nice and straight before and the shim seems to have allowed me to get the action slightly lower before. Also stopped the low e hitting the screw on the tremolo. Cleaned up the fretboard and got some lemon oil on there which I've never tried before, looks and feels better.

corporatetom
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by corporatetom » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:39 am

So this morning I tried to get some decent picture while we had good light! As people tend to say, I think it's hard to accurately capture the colour. It can look more turquoise/green in reality, but always tends to look dark blue in pictures. But also, it is pretty dark blue, so it's not completely innacurate.

Bradley-Jazz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bradley-Jazz » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:43 am

What a great job! Looks fantastic - congrats!
All the cheeses....

jthomas
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jthomas » Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:00 am

Fantastic lookin' axe! I am impressed with your clear-polished finish.