Noiseless pickup suggestions for my LP Special?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Noiseless pickup suggestions for my LP Special?

Post by stevejamsecono » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:38 pm

I currently have a mismatched set of noiseless Fralins in it that I'm not super crazy about in it, an alnico rod neck and an overwound bridge. The result is the neck sounds really wimpy and the bridge sounds dark and bland. Now that I'm using a Vox instead of my Mesa the shortcomings of the bridge pickup are especially apparent, so I think it's time for a change.

I'm thinking of doing a TV Jones Classic in the bridge and a Fralin regular noiseless 90 in the neck. I figure the TVJ will still sound full but with more inherent brightness and cut, and the regular neck p90 will have more strength to it than the alnico rod.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
And you find out life isn't like that
It's so hard to understand
Why the world is your oyster but your future's a clam

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Noiseless pickup suggestions for my LP Special?

Post by Larry Mal » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:43 pm

I been buying various noiseless pickups, some Wilde pickups in my Bullet, I have some Fralin noiseless P90s in my Firebird, I have Kinmans in my Jazzmaster.

If I was buying another noiseless pickup in the future, it will be Kinman. I won't hesitate.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:32 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:43 pm
I been buying various noiseless pickups, some Wilde pickups in my Bullet, I have some Fralin noiseless P90s in my Firebird, I have Kinmans in my Jazzmaster.

If I was buying another noiseless pickup in the future, it will be Kinman. I won't hesitate.
Ooo dang, I forgot about Kinmans. Seems like they have some options too. I'll check 'em out!

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

adamrobertt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by adamrobertt » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:56 am

I actually have a JM with Fralin Noiseless JM pups (which as far as I can tell are really just noiseless P-90s) and a set of Kinman FatMasters in another JM. Both sound great. I think I slightly prefer the Kinmans, though. They sound REALLY close to a real JM pickup. The Fralins sound very good but are a little more "generic" sounding in a way.

stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by stevejamsecono » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:33 pm

I'll have to check 'em out!

I'm looking at other stuff too.... firebirds and minis and whatnot. Problem with pickups is I always get analysis paralysis :'(

Resident Yamaha Fanboy

COYS

drsketchy
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by drsketchy » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:38 am

I've got a set of Mojotone quiet coil P90s. But I haven't installed them. My P90 LP is in Canada and I am in Australia. I actually bought a special from Japan but it is going to take ages to get here. Will try to post a review if it ever arrives

Lost In Autumn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Lost In Autumn » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:28 pm

stevejamsecono wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:38 pm
I currently have a mismatched set of noiseless Fralins in it that I'm not super crazy about in it, an alnico rod neck and an overwound bridge. The result is the neck sounds really wimpy and the bridge sounds dark and bland. Now that I'm using a Vox instead of my Mesa the shortcomings of the bridge pickup are especially apparent, so I think it's time for a change.

I'm thinking of doing a TV Jones Classic in the bridge and a Fralin regular noiseless 90 in the neck. I figure the TVJ will still sound full but with more inherent brightness and cut, and the regular neck p90 will have more strength to it than the alnico rod.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
I'm running a Filtertron in the bridge of my Jagmaster and a Fralin P92 in the neck. I love it, but if i had to do it again, I might go with a TV Jones Classic or Powertron. The combo of the Fralin P92 and the Filtertron are so magical that I think it will become my default combo for the next few guitars I build. The mix of the fat, bell like tones of the Fralins, combined with the klang of the filtertrons, is incredible. I've never liked a bridge pickup for clean tones until the filtertron!