Fatter Jag Pickups?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Fatter Jag Pickups?

Post by Embenny » Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:05 pm

PixMix wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:29 pm
100 % agreed. Even the 'high end' pickup makers started in a modestly priced range. And yes, that's exactly what I did - send a message on reverb asking about options, and specifically describing what I need (medium output, slightly warmer etc.). I was suggested by them to go with A4, otherwise I wouldn't have known.
Right. That reminds me of one of my earlier conversations with Curtis Novak - he's wound me 6 pickups now, but the first time I talked to him, I came in with preconceived ideas of magnet type, wire gauge, and resistance based on what I had played, heard, and read. I think he just politely pushed my suggestions aside by saying, "I can wind that pickup for you, but it's not going to sound the way you're hoping for in that guitar. Here's what I suggest." The most valuable thing a pickup winder can do is combine their experience with your descriptions to figure out how to make you happy.

Similarly, when I was first ordering my Firebird pickups from Fab at D'Urbano Magnetics, I expressed concern that he was going to wind them with 43g instead of the vintage-correct 42g. I told him I was afraid they'd be too middy and weren't "vintage correct". We had talked about what I was looking for, and he said, "Don't worry, these are going to sound exactly the way you want them to." And he was right. Listening to the pickups, not once have I ever thought, "I wish these had less mids" - and I'm a "Fender pickup" guy. As a winder, he knew his materials and his winding technique and he delivered pickups that sounded exactly how I had hoped, even though they didn't have the exact specs I'd have expected. And he made me my entire set for just under the price of a single Fralin.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

HarlowTheFish
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HarlowTheFish » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:06 am

Can't speak to his single-coils, but Agufish on Youtube has an SG with a HB/P90/HB set from Buddha and it sounds monstruous. I'd look at his stuff for sure if I were putting humbuckers into anything, but I'm very much a noiseless single-coils kinda guy.

Lost In Autumn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Lost In Autumn » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:17 am

I got a care package in the mail from Curtis Novak, a Jag-V neck pickup!
While I had the strings off to change the pickup, I also added a 1º shim in the neck pocket...
and a Fender American Professional bridge
here's the end result:
The tone is everything I'd hoped for! There's still plenty of sparkle and jangle, but the tone is much fuller now, not P90 fat, but perhaps halfway between a Stratocaster neck and P90, with a full bottom end, dynamic mids and all of the sparkle we associate with the classic offset sound. I was half-heartedly trying to sell this guitar because while I loved how it played, I could never get on with the tone. Now, it stands a good chance of becoming my favorite guitar, fitting in nicely between my Lindy Fralin P90-equipped, Korean Epiphone WildKat and my Stratocaster with an EMG David Gilmour pickguard. It's made a good deal of my offsets redundant, if not useless. For the time being, I'm going to play the hell out of it and I'll ultimately order another pickup from Curtis Novak for the bridge; I may end up having an offset fire sale in the not to distant future- I'm giving serious consideration to selling my Player HH Standard Jazzmaster, modded J Mascis JM & some of my Stratocasters to fund my next couple builds. So far, the Novak Jag-V neck has surpassed my expectations!

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Embenny » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:05 am

Glad you're happy with it. Curtis winds great pickups.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Larry Mal » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:29 am

Looks great, too. Black and pink look sharp together.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Lost In Autumn
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Lost In Autumn » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:19 am

I just ordered the bridge pickup.