Bass Vi conversion/project nightamre of an idea?

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
aen
Expat
Expat

Bass Vi conversion/project nightamre of an idea?

Post by aen » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:14 pm

So here's the nutbar idea i had tongiht-

Replace the neck on my "full scale" jagmaster with a baritone converison neck and make a psudeo bass Vi out of it?  I mean a VI string set tune it E-E and everything?

I havent done much research or anything, but i figured the "Baritone Jag special bass VI custom limited edition baritone special" is 28.5" scale, so a 28 5/8" would be workable...

Somebody with experience/tech knowhow draw this out to it's most logical, and hopefully cost effective conclusion...
I prefer their older stuff.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Re: Bass Vi conversion/project nightamre of an idea?

Post by mezcalhead » Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:11 am

Don't Warmoth do conversion necks? I can't see why the idea wouldn't work .. some people don't like the feel of the low E on the baritone Jag, others say it's OK if you can get the right strings.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

DarrelT
Expat
Expat

Re: Bass Vi conversion/project nightamre of an idea?

Post by DarrelT » Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:06 am

For a while, I had a USACG Bass VI neck on my CIJ JM.  Used the Fender Bass VI string set, tuned E-E.  Sounded pretty cool, but I couldn't get used to the string spacing.  I used a Coronado floated bridge to intonate correctly.  The close proxemity of the bridge to the trem unit caused a bit interference with the trem bar, but could probably be corrected with some bending.