Jaguar Volume Drop Off

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
geeguy
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Jaguar Volume Drop Off

Post by geeguy » Sat Aug 12, 2023 6:33 pm

So I pulled out a Jaguar I hadn't played in a while and fiddling the knobs I was getting thin and shrill tones. Opened up the guitar and for some reason I had put a treble bleed in there - no idea why, I don't like them. I cut the treble out and like what I am now hearing except for the following:

- volume pot - rapid volume drop off when rolling down the volume pot. If 10 is full, 9 cleans up nicely. 8.5 the volume just drops off. There's essentially no range - I have to do micro adjustments between 9 and 8.5 to get any variations. As soon as I go below 8.5 the volume drops off dramatically and tapers off evenly to 0.

- tone pot - Roll off from 10 to 9/8.5 drops off volume. Rolling tone off further, the volume doesn't change much and treble doesn't roll off until I get closer to 2 or 3 on the tone pot.

Prior to cutting out the treble bleed, the volume pot had greater range and a more reasonable sweep.

Both pots are CTS 1M audio and the tone has the mysterious 56k across lugs 2 and 3.

Anyone have any thoughts on this and how I can get more usable pots?

Thanks

GilmourD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Jaguar Volume Drop Off

Post by GilmourD » Sun Aug 13, 2023 5:18 pm

Which lug is your tone cap wired to?

geeguy
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by geeguy » Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:42 pm

GilmourD wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2023 5:18 pm
Which lug is your tone cap wired to?
This is the wiring diagram I used. 0.01uf tone cap is from lug 1 of the tone pot grounded to the back of the tone pot.

CIJ
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by CIJ » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:27 am

I appreciate this is an old post, but did you get to the bottom of this? I've experienced this exact same thing since removing a treble bleed from my Jaguar volume pot.

By the way, I believe tone pot volume drop is caused by the 56k resistor. I had previously removed this and it solved that problem for me completely. When you remove the resistor, you also have to move the remaining wire connected to lug 1 of your tone pot to the middle lug.

CIJ
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by CIJ » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:29 am

geeguy wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 6:33 pm
So I pulled out a Jaguar I hadn't played in a while and fiddling the knobs I was getting thin and shrill tones. Opened up the guitar and for some reason I had put a treble bleed in there - no idea why, I don't like them. I cut the treble out and like what I am now hearing except for the following:

- volume pot - rapid volume drop off when rolling down the volume pot. If 10 is full, 9 cleans up nicely. 8.5 the volume just drops off. There's essentially no range - I have to do micro adjustments between 9 and 8.5 to get any variations. As soon as I go below 8.5 the volume drops off dramatically and tapers off evenly to 0.

- tone pot - Roll off from 10 to 9/8.5 drops off volume. Rolling tone off further, the volume doesn't change much and treble doesn't roll off until I get closer to 2 or 3 on the tone pot.

Prior to cutting out the treble bleed, the volume pot had greater range and a more reasonable sweep.

Both pots are CTS 1M audio and the tone has the mysterious 56k across lugs 2 and 3.

Anyone have any thoughts on this and how I can get more usable pots?

Thanks
I appreciate this is an old post, but did you get to the bottom of this? I've experienced this exact same thing since removing a treble bleed from my Jaguar volume pot.

By the way, I believe tone pot volume drop is caused by the 56k resistor. I had previously removed this and it solved that problem for me completely. When you remove the resistor, you also have to move the remaining wire connected to lug 1 of your tone pot to the middle lug.