New Member Need Help with Mastery Setup

Talk about modding or building your own guitar from scratch.
TNPlayer
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

New Member Need Help with Mastery Setup

Post by TNPlayer » Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:20 pm

Hey I am new here and have been getting more into working on my own guitars instead of having someone else do it. I have run into this issue that I cannot seem to figure out. This is a 2021 Novo Serus J I just got and it is making a sound I cannot seem to fix. I am using GHS boomers if that makes any difference. I would love any advice or insight so that I do not have to send it in anywhere. Thanks in advance!

Creaking Noise

timtam
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New Member Need Help with Mastery Setup

Post by timtam » Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:18 pm

Welcome ! In the video it sounds like the noise is coming from the Mastery trem, rather than from the Mastery bridge as the trem moves. Is that how it seems to you ?
"I just knew I wanted to make a sound that was the complete opposite of a Les Paul, and that’s pretty much a Jaguar." Rowland S. Howard.

flying_squad
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by flying_squad » Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:58 am

Not sure if you've ever checked out Puisheen on YT - he's an offset nut and has some great guides for setting up Jazzmasters/Jaguars/Mustangs. He has a great Mastery bridge setup guide:

Mastery Setup Guide

Watching your video immediately made me think that you might need to put a bit of lube on the strings where they contact the bridge. Puisheen uses lip balm (I've used the same on my Mastery bridges) and it works a treat!

TNPlayer
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by TNPlayer » Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:20 am

It could 100% be the tremolo, I just have no idea how to check it. I’m comfortable taking parts off and have taken it off before. I can’t recreate the sound with the part itself. I will also try lip balm as well after I check the trem.